UKC

running packs/bumbags

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dr_botnik 05 Apr 2015
Hi,

I've just got back into running recently, thinking about a pack to carry some drink/clothing and seen these bumbags on all the fell running sites, are they actually comfy? Do they not start sagging or have to be uncomfortably tight to stay in place over 10-20 miles?
I was thinking of just getting a small sack to put a fleece and a drinks bottle in (maybe a map, compass and trousers for longer treks) but don't know if it would be more hassle getting the shoulder straps off compared to a bumbag. Anybody have any recommendations or warnings? Cheers.
 Run_Ross_Run 05 Apr 2015
In reply to dr_botnik:
Hi,

It depends on how lightweight your gear is. I think you'll struggle to get all that in a bum bag.

If you have to put gear on then you have to stop so its no extra hassle getting out of/into shoulder straps.

I carry waterproof jacket, Synthetic vest, survival bag, a few plasters, mobile phone and a bit of food in my 5ltr Lowe alpine bumbag, it didn't seem to moved around a lot on a 40k run i did a few months back.

I always use this stuff http://www.evanscycles.com/products/body-glide/original-anti-chafe-balm-128...
just whack it on any skin that's going to be rubbed against. It awesome.
Post edited at 19:48
 yer maw 05 Apr 2015
In reply to dr_botnik:
I thought about a bum bag but prefer a small sac as I'm not in the top 20% of a field who seem to take the weight saving to the edge. I don't think it makes a difference to my performance so I carry water, lightweight jacket, foil sheet, gloves and hat, torch, map cut down, compass and phone. For this I use an Osprey Rev 6 and like it a lot, but take the hydration unit out on a run as rarely need it for less than 10miles and a wee water bottle more convenient. But use the pack for day hill walks too when I'll use the hydration unit then.
 nufkin 06 Apr 2015
In reply to dr_botnik:

I've been using an Ultimate Direction bumbag which I've been pretty happy with - two bottle holsters, a couple of hip pouches and a larger pouch to the rear (sorry, can't remember the model name). It's behaved itself over ten miles or so, without seeming to bounce annoyingly or chafe unacceptably
 Roadrunner5 06 Apr 2015
In reply to dr_botnik:

Bumbags are great if just lightweight gear is going in, when stuffed full and with heavier things they bounce about. BUt I also use a Nathan water bottle with a handle on it and pouch. Out here in the summer I'll need water over anything else and that suffices for longer runs.

The UD Scott Jurek vests are nice. But there are now loads of makes doing similar so look whats on offer.
 The Potato 06 Apr 2015
In reply to dr_botnik:

Ive been using Inov8 race elite 3 waist bag holds a 500ml bottle and has two decent size pouches, wont carry what youve said in the original post but its a fair size. Ive run 30 miles with it no problems.

mattrm 06 Apr 2015
In reply to dr_botnik:

I only carry a bumbag in the summer or when I know the weather forecast is looking good. Normally it's just a set of windproofs along with map & compass. Over 20 miles I'd probably carry a vest type backpack so I can carry a bit more stuff, but I still probably wouldn't take a fleece. Depends a bit on the weather obviously. I have a Salomon S-Lab mainly cause it's the comfiest backpack thing I've ever worn while running.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...