UKC

anyone climbed at Orgon since the fire?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 baldie 06 Apr 2015
Camping website says it is open but what about the routes and countryside? I know it was closed to climbing for quite a while.
 R4chC 06 Apr 2015
In reply to baldie:

Hi,

I did go in the summer of 2013 for a day or two but moved on pretty quickly without climbing. Obviously a lot can change in two years but at that time the area looked pretty desperate, with plants only beginning to regrow. The most concerning thing though was that you could see in some areas the bolts were black from the fire and we weren't convinced as to how this would affect them. The rock appeared in good quality though. Maybe the campsite, tourist board or local climbing centres (one near Avignon) might have more information on whether these had been checked? The area was open though. One thing to consider is that the closer to summer and the hotter and drier it is the more likely you are to have fire restrictions in the south of France. When we were there in July we could only have climbed between 6am and 9am in all areas throughout the region (depends on the day and weather rather than this definitely being the case for all of July) so moved on pretty much immediately to cirque du gen. Hopefully it's changed being 2 years ago but I'd find out a bit more before you go based on my experience in 2013. Lovely place though if all is now checked!
OP baldie 06 Apr 2015
In reply to R4chC:

Thanks for that. We there just before the fire and it was great.
 wyzfen 06 Apr 2015
In reply to baldie:

We were there in October 2014. There were some burnt trees in some areas, but a lot of greenery too.
All the bolts we saw were shiney - not sure if they've replaced them, or if we weren't climbing where the fire was.
OP baldie 07 Apr 2015
In reply to wyzfen:

Thanks, that's as up-to-date as we need,grand

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...