UKC

getting started climbing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
shaun hollyer 11 Apr 2015
Hi all .posting on behalf of my son who is keen to get started climbing .Are there any instructors available in the kent area who would be interested in getting a sixteen yr old lad started .He has been phoning and e.mailing different individuals and companys with no success or replys .Any help from qaulified individuals greatfully received.
regards shaun
 MischaHY 11 Apr 2015
In reply to shaun hollyer:

Take him to a local wall and their instructors will be more than happy to help, I'm sure?
 Otis 11 Apr 2015

A local club would be a great place to start and potentially a bit cheaper than hiring instructors in the long run.

The BMC website will give you details of local clubs.

Hope this helps!
Mike.
shaun hollyer 11 Apr 2015
In reply to Otis:

Thanks for that miike .he has spoken to a couple of the local clubs but they dont take under 18s for rock climbing. and steered him towards individual instructors.Which so far he has had no joy finding .
 zacloftus 14 Apr 2015

Good evening Shaun, i am from dover so understand how hard it is to get started in this sport in kent These are a few options. the reach indoor climbing gym is great first step as the the reach has instructors on hand. bowels in tunbridge well run course too. I have recently set up a face book group kent climbing society and i am fairly sure a couple of our members are private instructors.
 ThunderCat 14 Apr 2015
In reply to zacloftus:

> bowels in tunbridge well run course too.

I'm racking my brains to work out what that was auto corrected from...
 edunn 14 Apr 2015
Hi Shaun,

I'm based near Bromley in Kent and work in london. I climb once a week indoors with a group of mates and then occasionally outdoors.

I've worked with kids before and also regularly volunteer with a local youth charity doing outdoorsy stuff, so I'm used to that age group.

I'd be more than happy to show your son the basics during a couple of indoor sessions, and then potentially outdoors at High Rocks or Bowls in Tonbridge Wells?

I'm probably a bit old to introduce your son to a decent long-term group of young climbers (I'm 30), but once he's got the basics he could easily join a local group, or even find people of a similar age locally on facebook.

I realise as a parent you'd have your reservations introducing your son to a stranger (perhaps why you want a qualified instructor?), but if you want free, friendly, local help the offer is there. Happy to meet you for a beer/ coffee first if you would prefer.

Just message me.

Cheers, Ed.
Post edited at 20:06

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...