UKC

Peregrines at Battleship Back Cliff Portland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ade7 13 Apr 2015

There are a pair of Peregrine falcons nesting close to the top of Buoys will be Buoys (6b+) on Battleship Back Cliff Portland. There are currently chicks in the nest. We reported it to the local Access Rep so hopefully the RAD will be updated. In the meantime it might be worth giving some of the rou tes around there a miss for a while.
Post edited at 16:00
 Rob Kennard 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Ade7: Are you sure they are peregrines? There are usually a nesting pair of Kestrels at battleship...

OP Ade7 13 Apr 2015
In reply to Rob Kennard: Pretty sure. We also saw Kestrels that day, I think they’re nesting a bit further north along the cliff. Either way it might be worth steering clear from those routes for a while. Kestrels are a declining (and protected) species too.

My climbing partner is the author of this paper http://centaur.reading.ac.uk/36383/
 nealh 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Ade7: Hello, I have notified the BMC so the RAD will be updated asap. I have some signage which I should be able to install before the weekend. In the meantime can folks avoid routes around Bouys..
cheers neal

OP Ade7 14 Apr 2015
In reply to nealh: Thanks Neal
 Langer 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Ade7:

Me and a friend Climbed there on sunday. We were told about said birds but there didn't appear to be any evidence of them when we were warming up on Buoys. Said friend did have a good look in the break near the top where the birds were supposed to be nesting but there was nothing. I was working the route to the right that uses the same loweroff and there were others climbing Pump Hitler to the left for most of the day and i believe knowone had any meetings with any birds up until about 5 which is when we left. If i head to BS this coming weekend (doubtful) then i will have another check and let other know. Personally i'd say that there is no cause for concern but yes it's better to be vigilante.
 FactorXXX 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Langer:

Maybe the reason that you didn't see any birds in the vicinity, was because you were there?
 David Staples 14 Apr 2015
In reply to Ade7:

We may head down to Battleship on Thursday evening, only to climb on the block initially. We will keep our eyes peeled for the Peregrines.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...