UKC

painting ply and osb board

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 rockjedi12345 15 Apr 2015
so I am finally building a boulder wall. It will be made from scraps and clad with ply and some osb board (I have salvaged the osb)

what would people's advice be for painting the ply and osb? I have no idea......
 MJAngry 15 Apr 2015
In reply to rockjedi12345:

Just leave the OSB unpainted, such a nice look.

But also, I did't paint my wall with grippy paint or anything, as I did not want to be able to just put my feet anywhere to cheat my way out of a problem.
OP rockjedi12345 15 Apr 2015
In reply to MJAngry:

cheers for the advice. what thickness ply did you use?

I was just looking to paint it with normal paint ro brighten it up...
 MJAngry 15 Apr 2015

I used 18mm, went for OSB as cheaper than ply (and i like the look it gives), but went for the thicker osb than I would have got in the ply as again it was cheaper.

Just take a bit of care when drilling the holes for the t bolts so they don't splinter too much. I can highly recommend getting yourself a quality drill bit to do this as it saves time and effort. I used this:

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Power+Tool+Accessories/d80/Wood+Drill+Bits/...

and it was so quick, pulls itself through, you just have to hold on for the ride!
In reply to MJAngry:

great advice cheers.
 Fraser 15 Apr 2015
 jimjimjim 15 Apr 2015

Paint it with anything you've got. It'll get bashed up whatever. If you're really bothered the correct way is to prime it first with an oil based primer, One/two coats of undercoat then gloss/semi gloss top coat. Far to much bother for a little climbing wall. Emulsion would be fine.
In reply to jimjimjim:

brill. cheers for the advice. emulsion it is
 Greasy Prusiks 15 Apr 2015

I put emulsion on my wall it works well if you mix some fine sand with it. That stops holds spinning.
 marsbar 15 Apr 2015

Is it outside?

If not it probably doesn't matter.

If it is you need something to weather proof it.
In reply to marsbar:

no the wall is inside. I just wanted to tart if up a bit when I put a mish mash of different panels on.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...