UKC

NEWS: 'New' Bouldering Venue in Calderdale

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 15 Apr 2015
Jordan Buys bouldering at Calderdale, 5 kbJordan and Naomi Buys have rediscovered a 'new' bouldering venue near Exley Quarry in Calderdale. The boulder was initially developed by Steve Honeyman in 2006, but has since attracted little interest. Jordan and Naomi - alongside a team of enthusiastic climbers - have added to the existing problems and cleaned up the area.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69653
 Valkyrie1968 15 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Is this the part where we get to witness a public argument regarding which names the problems get?
 Bulls Crack 15 Apr 2015
In reply to Valkyrie1968:

I'm giving up bouldering, I can't afford that mat sex pile (see today's Guardian)
 jsmcfarland 15 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

All that chalk................aghhhh.
 Vybz 16 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Looks like a pretty sweet boulder. I still don't quite understand why the block needed renaming just because a few extra problems were added.
 Jimbo C 16 Apr 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

> All that chalk................aghhhh.

First thing I spotted too. To say that the block was filthy when they started climbing on it, that's a lot of chalk. Fair play to them for bouldering a new 8A at an obscure venue but the photos published do not set the best example. Maybe they brushed it off after the photos were taken?
 The Pylon King 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Jimbo C:

> Maybe they brushed it off after the photos were taken?

Yeah right and i'm going round to the Queen's for a quicky tonight.
 The Pylon King 16 Apr 2015
In reply to Nathaniel Larsson:

> Looks like a pretty sweet boulder. I still don't quite understand why the block needed renaming just because a few extra problems were added.

Yeah should just be the original name, however many "fellow Boreal athletes" have partied there.
 Franco Cookson 17 Apr 2015
In reply to Jimbo C:

I do question whether people criticising chalk use at new venues know anything about crag development.

You might think that your pristine little trips down to (insert name of popular crag) have no affect on the environment, but nearly every crag would have been a mass of vegetation and filth before it was developed.

These days chalk plays a massive role in getting never-climbed-on holds into decent condition.

Think about the example you're setting for other people, being unduly critical about a commendable process.
 Bulls Crack 17 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

'....we spread the word to a chosen few. Fellow Boreal athletes, Sam Hamer and Andi Turner, joined us for a boulder party..'

.....which was nice.........
 salancaster 18 Apr 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Good few routes there too. Check out grit guide.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...