UKC

Quadriceps strain

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 fmck 18 Apr 2015
Ok I have a problem with muscle above the knee cap that I believe is quadriceps strain. I was stupid enough when I was still feeling a bit sore from a long run the night before to go out the next day. It was such a beautiful evening I couldn't resist going out over the moor.
I seem to feel pain in this area when going down hill but then it began to feel a bit dodgy and started walking. I could run back up the hill but walking down was a bit uncomfortable. Going down a steep section of the track I had to do backwards, it funnily didn't feel any effect.
As soon as I got home I got frozen veg pack on it. Next day there was a dull ache that disappeared by evening. Today it feels fine and thought about going for cycle but think I will give it another day and maybe tomorrow doing a light run.
Looking for advice on this as I don't want to make matters worse.

It had to happen now with the weather so good!
 Roadrunner5 20 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

Is it just doms or an actual tear? Any bruising? lump?

Doms you can just keep going steady and the soreness will subside, the less you do the quicker they subside, but I still like light activity.
OP fmck 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Not sure maybe. I do have aches and struggle to get up etc. The evening after a run but this was different.

It felt like some kind of spasm and shock pain like something was wrong. I don't have any lumps or bruising but struggled to walk down the hill that night. I have since avoided hill descent at the moment as much as possible but have since noticed a new weakness in the upper knee area.

I have started more stretching as I did virtually none before just started jogging slowly then pick up. I just wondered if I might make matters worse through lack of experience.

BTW : I have worn through my Salomon XA pro3D trainers in 3 weeks(from new) at the outer area of the heal. I wondered if my foot landing was concentrating a lot of load in the wrong area.
 Roadrunner5 21 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

I find light running helps get over strains.

The trainers sounds like a fit issue. I used to do that in asics and inov8's and could cut my heel up on the plastic if I went through too much.
 wbo 21 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck: How far from the knee is all this happening?

I tihnk you are calling this a muscle injury when it's a tendon injury or strain
 Ally23 21 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:
I agree with the above, definitely sounds like the quad tendon, pain on descent being a good indicator.

Below is just a suggestion but I ignored very similar pain in my knees for years, masked it and trained through it stupidly and ended up rupturing both quad tendon's at the same time while running in the fathers race at school sports day....cost me double knee surgery 2 weeks in hospital, 4 months in bed with leg braces, 6 months of work and 2 years of rehab....still not 100%

A small tear or strain possibly. A trip to the physio or to be on the very cautious side visit A and E and they should ultra sound it. There would no real viable signs ( bruising / swelling ) of a small tear of the tendon .

Rest and find a good regime for strengthening the lower quad and stability around the knee.

Mega cissus from my protein is very good for tendon strains http://www.myprotein.com/sports-nutrition/mega-cissus/10530258.html?affil=m...
Post edited at 16:27
OP fmck 21 Apr 2015
In reply to Ally23:

Thanks albeit a little bit terrifying. Thanks for the protein tip I will be ordering that right away.
 Roadrunner5 22 Apr 2015
In reply to fmck:

> Thanks albeit a little bit terrifying. Thanks for the protein tip I will be ordering that right away.

Really?

I give up..
OP fmck 22 Apr 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

it does sound very likely the cause although I think at this stage its just strained as there is no pain normally only weakness. The very localised area does point to this when googled.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...