UKC

Which North Wales Guidebook?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rob Laird 24 Apr 2015
I think it's time I replace my battered guidebook and as far as I can tell, the 2 main choices are Rockfax and Ground Up.

Which of these do people prefer for North Wales?

Cheers
 AlanLittle 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Rob Laird:

I'm not familiar with the Rockfax, but Ground Up is a marvellous guidebook, a worthy successor to Paul Williams' classic in every way.
 veteye 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Rob Laird:

The ground Up one is a good one,but I never take mine climbing as it is not very robust.I prefer to have the individual CC guides which have better covers.So if I were you I would consider buying those.You don't have to buy them all at once,and in any case I suspect that you are not a pauper.Otherwise why not buy the Rockfax one and the Ground Up one as there are advantages and disadvantages.
There! I tend to be a bibliophile,so would buy the lot,which is not answering your question.
Probably the Ground Up one otherwise.
 centurion05 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Rob Laird:

I have a ground up one and its a great piece of kit. I also have the specific ones from cc. I would buy a ground up one first then once you tick all the climbs in it, which there are a lot, buy a specific cc one for wherever you want to climb more!

Rock fax guide books are a little on the large side for my liking. Too big to fit in a pocket on multi pitch routes.

Centurion05
OP Rob Laird 25 Apr 2015
In reply to centurion05:

Cheers for the replies. I've only had a chance to look at them online but the ground up one looked like the one to get.

As much as I would like a library of guidebooks, I only climb there once a year if that, so the selective guides are perfect for now.
 jezb1 25 Apr 2015
In reply to Rob Laird:

Ground up for sure
 Mark Haward 25 Apr 2015
In reply to jezb1:

Get the guidebook that covers the routes you want to do and I suggest don't worry about size or robustness of book. You can scan and laminate areas you intend going to ( including variety of routes / access / descents if necessary ) then you just take your laminated route cards. In pocket, very light, waterproof. Some people use their 'phone to photograph pages but I feel 'phone is a bit vulnerable.
This keeps guidebook in decent condition for longer.
 jmills94 26 Apr 2015
In reply to Rob Laird:

the new ground up one is laminated and as such more robust. Also the general consensus of people i know is the descriptions in the ground up book are far better, also as said it fits easily into the pocket. The rockfax one is a great publication but i prefer the ground up one.

also and most importantly the ground up has more gogarth routes in it

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...