UKC

low carb snacks?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 24 Apr 2015
I'm currently on a low carb diet but always feel hungry and looking for snack ideas (other than raw veg or nuts which I'm already ok on)
Hit me with your nibbles please
 marsbar 24 Apr 2015
In reply to Pesda potato:

Ham and cottage cheese
Roast beef and grainy mustard
Pastrami and pickles
Apple slices and cheese
Apple slices and peanut butter
Celery and cheese spread
Tomato and mozzarella with basil leaves and balsamic vinegar
Pickled onions
Olives

Mostin3 25 Apr 2015

Cheese-strings
Babybels
Beef jerky
Boiled eggs
Canned fish
OP The Potato 25 Apr 2015

I think I'm already overdoing it with canned fish, some decent suggestions so far thanks
 marsbar 25 Apr 2015

Food is important.
 MonkeyPuzzle 25 Apr 2015
In reply to marsbar:

> Food is important.

I'll just get a pen...
 beth 25 Apr 2015

You shouldn't be feeling hungry. How long have you been doing LC, how many grams of carbs, protein and fat are you eating a day?

Snacks:
boiled egg, with mayo/coconut oil
pork scratchings - plain salted not the ones dusted with wheat/rusk/sugar/etc
slices of lamb shoulder, blade end
100% chocolate
streaky bacon
anchovies
cheese
 lowersharpnose 25 Apr 2015

Sardine salad - dice/chop three inches of cucumber, half an onion, a pepper, a couple of tomatoes. Add half tin of sardine in oil, more olive oil, liberal quantities of wine vinegar, chilli flakes & salt.

Ooops not a snack.

Nibbles gherkins, chorizo, pickled chillies
 Sharp 25 Apr 2015

I guess to sum up the previous posts...things with lots of fat in them and raw vegetables. I don't think apples are low carb marsbar.
In reply to lowersharpnose:

Excellent idea, not chorizo but pepperami. Nice one.
 lowersharpnose 25 Apr 2015

By snack, do you mean no cooking?

wercat 25 Apr 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Quark (high protein/calcium) mixed with full fat/greek yoghourt for taste and texture with just a tiny bit of home made jam for flavour.
 marsbar 25 Apr 2015
In reply to Sharp:

I'm not sure. I tend to look at overall rather than individual things. Half an apple with something like cheese or peanut butter isn't to me a carb based snack. Whether its low enough in carbs for any given diet I don't know. I must admit I'm not into diets and rules generally, and I think no carb diets are not a good idea. Cutting out refined carbs is probably fine.
 fmck 25 Apr 2015

Is it low carb to lose weight? If so I wouldn't look on as a diet but a change in life style. I lost 4 1/2 stone in three months but currently reduced action due to over training injury.
Change your food habits into no process foods. Make food yourself like big veg soups with barley, veg curry, porridge made with water with some honey for breakfast. Big lunch and small snack meal at night all become the norm after a while. But most of all do not stop eating things you like such as a take away once a week or a meal in a restaurant these are treats not the norm.
Oh have a big bottle of water every day with you and snack with an apple, fruit other than high calorie ones.

Thanks all, its not for weight loss its for ulcerative colitis, I've tried SCD and fodmaps but in all I've found that just having lower refined or starchy carbs works, but with running or cycling I get hungry between meals.

Ok I agree. Not a diet but lifestyle change, but that depends on what you define diet as.

What is Quark, do you mean Quorn?

Keep em coming ta.
ceri 25 Apr 2015
quark is a type of soft cheese
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quark_(dairy_product)
I've a Finnish friend who promises its much nicer than cottage cheese, which is cheese that had been previously thrown up.

Would you eat nakd bars? Cos you can easily make your own if you have a blender: much cheaper...
Post edited at 13:30

Yeah have made nakd but they are high carb albeit fruit sugars, tasty tho
 PPP 25 Apr 2015

IMHO, quark is way much better than cottage cheese.

Im just finishing making a batch of Beef Jerky, man it tastes so nice already
Removed User 26 Apr 2015

How do you make that, I was wondering the other day? Could you e-mail me or maybe start another thread please so we don't hijack this anymore?
 SenzuBean 26 Apr 2015

Biltong! If you can find a south african butcher, it's by far, one of the best and tastiest snacks you can get. Was just in New Zealand on a trekking holiday, we ordered 1.6kg of it for one 8 day trip for our group - wasn't enough!
 LeeWood 26 Apr 2015

Rice cakes? careful what you put on them tho
 SenzuBean 26 Apr 2015
In reply to LeeWood:

> Rice cakes? careful what you put on them tho

Rice cakes are full of carbs, about the 80% mark - definitely not low-carb.
One thing you can make is called 'baked cheese crisps' - they're actually very nice. Here's the first recipe from google:
http://www.joyfulabode.com/low-carb-snacks-homemade-baked-cheese-crisps-rec...

beth 26 Apr 2015

I'm surprised you can get away with nuts, they irritate my insides unless eaten as a very smooth nut butter. They're pretty carby too so unless you have a very small amount they wont help you stop feeling hungry.

Hunger on low-carb generally means you aren't getting enough fat, or aren't actually fat adapted - maybe from eating too many nuts/carbs. Have a look at https://www.reddit.com/r/ketogains for how to do this from an exercise POV.

Low carb has been the best thing I've done for my Crohn's, hope it works well for you.
 LeeWood 26 Apr 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

by volume, they're mostly air
 SenzuBean 26 Apr 2015
In reply to LeeWood:

Indeed - but air by volume is also mostly air - it however doesn't fill me up. Neither does candy floss for that matter.
 marsbar 26 Apr 2015
In reply to LeeWood:

> by volume, they're mostly air

The rest is polystyrene.
OP The Potato 26 Apr 2015
In reply to marsbar:

Air and lies

Id say I'm not adapted yet ta.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...