UKC

New bike any thoughts

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 jethro kiernan 25 Apr 2015
My current bike cube agree is getting a little tired and creaky, I am looking for a new bike, I have a few ideas and want something that is relatively quick as it will be used for triathlons so will be "raced" but relatively comfortable. A frame set is becoming a real option as whatever I get off the shelf I would tweek especially wheels. Budget £2000 or thereabouts :-/

Thoughts so far (all ultegra)

Canondale evo six
Bmc slr 02
Cube litening
Canyon sl
Genesis zero frame set and build
xyz 25 Apr 2015
In reply to jethro kiernan:

I can highly recommend the Cannondale Super Six Evo; I have a high end version (nano black ink) which rides like a feather with a jet engine attached but it does cost a fortune. I also have the 2015 Supersix Evo 105 for use as a winter trainer. I upgraded this from the standard build with a Shimano 105 crankset which requires a Praxis BB, Fulcrum racing quattro wheels, Fizik Aliante saddle and Speedplay Zero stainless pedals all in it cost £1974. The new 11 speed Shimano 105 is arguably better than last years Ultegra and all the components are pretty cheap if/when you need to replace them. I'd say the shifting performance is about 80% as good as the Dura-ace on my Nano. I have a 60cm frame which weighs in at 8.3kg exactly 2kg heavier than the Nano. The 105 is a dream to ride, very stiff yet compliant due to Cannonadale's innovative speedsave chainstays and the handling and general cockpit feel is awesome.

Hope this helps
 dale1968 25 Apr 2015
With comfort/speed in mind, I used to road race a Bianchi C2C, which was very forgiving, just had a set of race wheels for TT/race

Ive got a connondale super six evo 105 on ebay as we speak. Grey 2014 and super cheap. Tried cycling as a replace,ent for running due to injury. Didnt like it.

nniff 25 Apr 2015
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

A couple of the riders in my club have recently bought Giant Propels. Both very happy.
 Chris the Tall 25 Apr 2015

Have to say I've been very happy with most aspects of the cannondale synapse ulterior I got last year, but the component I've had a few problems with is the rear wheel. Four or 5 broken spokes, and even after having the wheel rebuilt I'm still having a few issues with it.
In reply to nniff: quite like the look of the propel heard good things

Rigid Raider 25 Apr 2015

You should add Specialized Tarmac to your list, it's a popular bike for a good reason. Or go for Roubaix SL4 if you want a little more comfort with your speed.
 Sam W 26 Apr 2015

I'm looking at similar bikes, no conclusion yet, but have you looked at the own brand models from Planet X/Ribble/Epic Cycles (Nero Corsa)? They look like a lot of bike for the money, and generally get good reviews.
 LastBoyScout 26 Apr 2015

Having done it last year, I highly recommend the frame set and build option.

Like you, I couldn't find an off the peg I liked. Got everything in sales and came in just over budget with a bike 30% better
In reply to LastBoyScout:

That is looking like the way to go, did the sums and much better spec getting stuff in sales and putting what you want on the frame of your choice
Going for my own build, bar and stem to be purchased tomorrow, bike frame most likely to be genesis zero bring it on let the search begin
 kevin stephens 27 Apr 2015

Have you looked at Dolan? their Ares and Tuono framesets are excellent
http://www.dolan-bikes.com/road/road-framesets/road-framesets-carbon.html

They do a good custom build service too. They built up my Tuono with a mix of new parts and parts from my old bike

Get a frame that has the right geometry for you by getting measured up at a decent bike shop, rather than going for something just because you like the look of it or because it has good reviews. Especially important if you have really long/short legs or torso for your height. Have fun shopping!
In reply to Byronius Maximus:
At the moment I am keeping an open mind about frames and and intend to buy a frame from somewhere I can get fitted, handle bars and new wheels I can start looking for now
Rigid Raider 28 Apr 2015

Then go to a proper bike shop like Hewitt Cycles in Leyland or a good chain that will fit the bike to you like Specialized Concept Stores. Do not buy from Halfrauds or any high street superstore.
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I think I have that in my watch list, only interested in the frame but I would flog the rest , where do you live?
Looks like the LBS have a cube litening frame set in the back that is my size,

http://www.cube.eu/uk/bikes/road-race/litening/cube-litening-super-hpc-race...

By adding my own parts most of the euro fluro will not be on the bike I think I can live with the frame colour

Still tempted by

http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m90b0s804p15480/GENESIS_Zero_Frameset_2015

Not usually a fan of paintjobs like that, but I think that Cube looks really good!

A clubmate has the Genesis Zero and really likes it.
 andy 02 May 2015
Have a look at Westbrook Cycles' frameset deals - if the frame's right for you the prices on some Scott are amazing. I got a Foil Team Issue for £1400 including an Ultegra 6800 electrics kit (shifters, wires and derailleurs) which I sold for £400.
 nniff 02 May 2015

The frame set Genesis looks lovely. That's the way I went - taking bits off the old bike to build the new, helped along the way by a Sigma Sport warehouse sale (which is where the frame came from in the first place) and other handily-timed discounts. All of the old bits have now been replaced with new, and the old bike is now restored as the winter bike.

One word of caution (apologies if this is blindingly obvious to you, but it caught me out) - getting a crank to fit a BB size that is not the default standard can be expensive as sod's law says they won't be in a sale, and adapters don't work. Fortunately, a crank set in just the right size (to fit BB30) turned up in a sale just as I had resigned myself to 'a difficult conversation' with SWMBO.

However, with £1100 to play with you should be OK. I've no idea what a BB86 fits, but Wiggle & CRC have got some substantial group set sales on at the moment. 11 speed 105 for £300, which leaves you a fair amount for some decent wheels etc. After much grief with saddles, I can heartily recommend a Charge Scoop, which at c£40 is way superior to several others that cost many, many times more. The red one is orange by the way...

It does all add up fast - seat post, saddle, bars, stem and tape, group set, wheels, tyres, tubes, bottle cage, pedals but you should be fine on your budget unless you get a hankering for carbon and Di2. Don't forget to allow a bit for the LBS to put the BB in for you if you haven't got a press
In reply to nniff:
Thanks for the reply, the LBS is going to help me out with a partial build, and if I go with the cube it's coming with the bottom bracket in as it is a dismantle job so bb and maybe the front derailier will come with it ( most group sets come with braze on front derailleur which you then have to buy an adapter for)

Bar tape, brake blocks, handle bars and seatpost all bought or ordered ( collect returns will be a godsend if I balls an order up) going to use my fizik saddle and peddles of the old bike until such time as I can afford something new and shiny
 andy 02 May 2015

And if you're buying bits have a look at the German websites like bike-discount and bike24 - depending on where the Euro is they can be super cheap for stuff like cables, brake pads (and groupsets if you pick the right one).
Update to the bike build
Went for the cube Litening frame from the LBS, built the bike up myself (bike frame came with BB) which I have enjoyed, bar tape has proved to be the most difficult item to instal
Frustratingly I have a bike that is 90% complete but the rear cassette hasn't arrived yet so the bike is still on the bike stand in the kitchen and the wheels are still in the box
 Hat Dude 22 May 2015
In reply to kevin stephens:

> Have you looked at Dolan? their Ares and Tuono framesets are excellent

the Tuono SL on offer at the moment looks great value, the wheels available are much better than usual at that price.

http://www.dolan-bikes.com/dolan-tuono-carbon-road-bike-ultegra-6800.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...