UKC

Potentially Jobless and love to climb.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dan_dangled 28 Apr 2015
Hi Guys,

In a months time it is quite likely I will be unemployed. If I pull every penny together I can I will probably have around 3k. I also have a van, which I am undecided whether to keep or not that is worth 6k that I would be prepared to sell to add to my pot if needs be.

I would like to go off and climb for as long as I can, Yosemite would be fantastic but obvious restrictions with time you can actually spend in America on a British passport and such might render that as not the best choice. My main priority is to be somewhere where I can live as cheap as possible, with plenty of climbing to be done nearby. I also like to smoke pot, which would not be a deciding factor on my destination by any means however it would be nice.

I don't necessarily want to be limited to one destination. Nor am I overly concerned on where in the world I travel too.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers,
Dan
 edunn 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Thailand & Vietnam.

It's cheap, the lifestyle is great and the climbing scene is relatively new (although established enough to get kit, find crags etc).

Start with Railey beach and work from there.
In reply to edunn:

just dont get caught with the drugs and end up in the Bangkok Hilton
OP dan_dangled 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Haha yeah I have read enough books about the thai prisons, Thailand and Vietnam do sound appealing to be fair. Maybe I have my head in the clouds a little, but I like the idea of a flight to California and 3 months in Yosemite on the visa waiver programme and hoping to bump into some people that I could learn big walling off, then maybe onto asia from there.

Hard to decide, especially when ploughing every penny I possibly can into it haha.
 seankenny 28 Apr 2015
In reply to edunn:

> Thailand & Vietnam.

> It's cheap, the lifestyle is great and the climbing scene is relatively new (although established enough to get kit, find crags etc).

> Start with Railey beach and work from there.

The climbing in Thailand is rubbish tho. Not that many crags, polished, sweaty, full of idiots. Vastly over-rated, but there are girls in bikinis. Any connection between these two is entirely coincidental, I'm sure, but it's not a world-class climbing area.
 DaveR 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Eurpoean road trip? You could probably live for 8-9 months off £3k while living in a van.
 ActionSte 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

If the USA is where you are drawn to, go for it! While its not the cheapest place on earth if you're smart about how you use your money and arent too fussy about how you live, then im sure you'll be surprised how far your money will go.

Dont forget Canada isnt far away too so once you've used up your US Visa, assuming you dont have to go back to your country of residence, you should be able to roll straight into your Canada Visa... Assuming you dont have to be arriving from your country of residence...
Lusk 28 Apr 2015
In reply to seankenny:

Yeah, forget Asia, get down to Brazil and Rio!

http://partyflock.nl/topic/1089519:Mt-Roraima
 kipman725 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

It will be getting very hot in Yosemite Valley you would be best heading there from September. People tend to de-camp to Tuolumne meadows (which is a great climbing destination although weird climbing). Also be aware of the 1 week restriction in peak season (easy enough to get around). Also be aware that Yosemite Valley is federal land and as such weed is illegal there and enforced by amusingly zealous park rangers. A drain on your money in the Valley would be the price of food which is ~2x outside the valley.
 neilwiltshire 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Definitely go with your instincts as that is how you'll have the best time. Plan three months in Yosemite. Then you can head up to Canada for another few months, Squamish and so on. If you're a mountaineer then there's plenty to do up there too.
 Tyler 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

It depends what your priorities are, if it is spot get good at rock climbing then get in the van drive to Spain and he'd back north, if you are after a gap yah travel experience then I guess that won't do. In a month's time Yosemite will be pretty warm I imagine so maybe head to Cham, plenty of big granite but generally free climbed rather than aid. Other places were 'proper' aid big walling does take place tend to be quite expensive to get to
 dsh 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:
> ... but obvious restrictions with time you can actually spend in America on a British passport...

For the USA you can only stay 90 days with the visa waiver, but you can stay 6 months on a B-2 tourist visa. The B2 can also be extended once in the USA.
Post edited at 14:44
 john arran 28 Apr 2015
In reply to Lusk:

> Yeah, forget Asia, get down to Brazil and Rio!

... except your link refers to Venezuela/Guyana!
 solomonkey 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Most of Spain is very cheap , can be very hot too ! , I would head down to Spain then work my way back up the right hand side of France , verdon up to the French alps then Italy , Switzerland , e,c,t then back too font on the way home
 coreybennett 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Italy and Germany?
 bleddynmawr 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

US for 3 months then head south to Mexico.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=1881
 Roberttaylor 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

What will you do after your 3-8 months?
 edunn 28 Apr 2015
In reply to seankenny:

Fair comment, I was thinking more of the cost and the weed!
 seankenny 28 Apr 2015
In reply to edunn:

> Fair comment, I was thinking more of the cost and the weed!

Wales?
 1poundSOCKS 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Your profile suggests you sport climb, rather than trad climb. California is trad climbing heaven, but I wouldn't bother going all the way there for sport.
 admackie 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

you could do years in morocco living like a king at that money no shortage of climbing or pot but you will have to move around so you dont get baked by the summer heat
Removed User 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Squamish first then head down to Yosemite. You can trip around Europe anytime.
 jimjimjim 28 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Sounds like you're about to have fun no what you do. I'd love to have my time again being your age. One thing I would change though is I'd of given up the pot. Wasted some many hours being wasted!
You might listen you might not, either way have fun.
 Kemics 29 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:
I would go to Moab and Yosemite and do a bit of expensive climbing while you can afford it. Then when money gets tight go to Asia. You can sport climb for a full year living comfortably on 3k. Yangshou China is supposed to be good, and whoever said Thailand climbing is not world class is out of their mind.
Post edited at 02:49
 mike123 29 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:
In a nut shell. Sell the van. Get the cheapest possible return flight to Bangkok , air bongo bongo or similar. Don't hang around bkk just go straight down south , stay a few days there next time you pass through having got loads of beta from people hanging out and er doing crochet or something, in railey . As above , start in railey beach with a rough plan to go to Vietnam and China but let this evolve possibly to include going to Koh pan gan (sp) on each full moon , leaving virtually all your belongings and most of your money safely stored . Meet girls in bikinis. Sack climbing every now and then to go off to bongo bongo land (or wherever ) with said girls . Leave £1000 in the UK somewhere it's very difficult for you to access from away. Arriving back in the UK flat arse broke sucks, it also starts to wear thin with friends and family when they have been happily going about there lives and you rock up yet again with a sun tan ,stupid trousers, stupid hair, various stupid t shirts and a very pretty but ultimately stupid girl friend ,expecting to be fed and housed while you get some cash together to repeat the above, yet again .
Finally don't listen to any advice that sounds vaguely sensible, especially from old people who say either even though I had a great time , that was back in the day and it's all rubbish now so just get a job and don't bother .
Post edited at 07:39
 Oogachooga 29 Apr 2015
In reply to coreybennett:

Found germany very cheap for travelling in a camper. A lot of sites or stellplatz are free or under 10 euro a night, often attached to swimming pools.
 seankenny 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Kemics:

> whoever said Thailand climbing is not world class is out of their mind.

Or has visited a lot of world class crags?
abseil 29 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Have a fantastic trip!
OP dan_dangled 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Roberttaylor:

"What will you do after your 3-8 months?"
Funnily enough id not thought of that yet, although id imagine get a job to repeat what will probably be an awesome time.

Good advice on Yosemite being warm, I had heard September is a good time to arrive.

thank you all for the advice, ive been somewhat swamped and now have decisions to make haha.
Any more info anyone has then please keep posting!! info on where has good dirtbag scenes etc. would be good.
 Tru 29 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Third vote for Thailand, your money will last longer the climbing is great and views/ bikinis are stunning. It's also easy to find partners rent gear and you will get strong in no time.

Your main problem will be the time of year June in most climbing areas will be hot so your options are to go to a summer crag like Ceuse or find some temp work for 3 months save hard, train hard and go out into the world and crush in Sendtember.
 mlt 29 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:
Go to the Russian taiga. Lots of free pot growing everywhere. You can go build yourself a dacha in the forest beneath the Altai Mountains, become a shaman and toke to your hearts content. Alternatively you could go to the Wakhan Corridor and smoke some opium with some Kyrgyz nomads.
Post edited at 12:31
 jasonC abroad 29 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Surprised nobody has suggested India, not sure of the climbing scene but plenty of cheap dope, places like Hampi are good for bouldering but there must be stacks of climbing out there.

Jason
 handofgod 29 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Sounds like to me, you’re going to be living the dream but as most things in life, dreams too have to come to an end.

Your parents advice would be as follows:

Assuming you’re depended to a certain degree on ‘pot’, spend some of the 3k, possibly c.1k on having counselling to overcome your addiction.

In-between getting yourself off the gear, you could work on your CV highlighting your strengths and key attributes.
You could also at this point seek guidance from your local careers office on how you could better your skill set thus making you more appealing to prospective employers.

You could even push the boat right out and do a course at a local collage. Some good outdoor based course available.

So once you’re clean, CV in order dotted your I’s and crossed your T’s, you can start applying for another JOB.

Depending on how well the above points have been followed, you might actually get another JOB!

And before you know it, once again you will be back on the gut wrenching rollercoaster of real life aka THE RAT RACE!

My advice is as follows:

Climb,smoke and bonk yourself stupid round the world and when you end up a flee ridden mess, come back to good old blight for the NHS to pick up the pieces

Enjoy !

nakedave 29 Apr 2015
In reply to mlt:

Not sure how many Kyrgyz you would meet in the wakhan corridor, top place though
 Roberttaylor 29 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

To give you an idea why I asked this, bear in mind that some of the replies above are standard advice that the aged give to the young in order to gain some street cred or to live vicariously, I've never quite worked out which. It's very easy to tell someone 'go, have a great adventure, everything will be fine' and it makes them appear like a really hip, cool person. Is this what they did? Generally, no. Some people end up sponsored climbers, living the dream. Others end up working 9-5 in gear shops aged 45, getting out only at the weekend and wondering if they will ever own a house, retire, or be able to afford a month off to go to the alps. If this is what you want, go for it, it is one lifestyle option of many. To paraphrase and misinterpret a wiser man, hell is living other people's lives.

Are your parents extremely wealthy and/or well connected? In that case go, follow your dreams, do whatever you want then come back and they can hook you up with education or a good job.

If your parents are not wealthy then keep an eye on your future. You will find that the people who are urging you to spend the next ten years living in a hut on a beach somewhere won't be so keen to let you crash on the floor when you come back.

I can't imagine this will be a very popular post but then the truth is rarely pleasant, especially to those who would promote a fantasy. You can balance fun now and an enjoyable future, you just need to be smart about it. Remember, nobody on their death bed ever says 'I wish I'd spent more time at the office'.

Robert

Lusk 29 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

> Any more info anyone has then please keep posting!! info on where has good dirtbag scenes etc. would be good.

Bali's good to buy cheap drugs to take onto your next location!
 nutme 29 Apr 2015
Spain can be a good option. You can sleep in a tent or bivi all year long, pot is cheap and easy accessible. Food is spicy, so are girls. Wine is good as well. And cheap. Oh yeah and world class sport climbing!
 coreybennett 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Oogachooga:

Looks like I'll have to get myself there!
 mlt 29 Apr 2015
In reply to nakedave:

There's plenty of Kyrgyz living in the Afghan Wakhan (http://lens.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/02/04/a-hard-life-on-the-roof-of-the-wor... much like how there are plenty of Kyrgyz living in Eastern Tajikistan and plenty of Kazakhs living in Xinjiang Province
 1poundSOCKS 29 Apr 2015

> I can't imagine this will be a very popular post

Well it does seem a bit negative. I don't see any problem with forgetting about the future and having a great time for a while, especially when you're only 21. I left a good job and have seen my savings dwindling since 2013, but I've had a few trips and generally had a great time. And I'm 43, obviously very hip and cool though.
 Misha 29 Apr 2015
Yeah but what's wrong with taking some time out after being made redundant, having a good time for a few months, then getting back to 'real life'?
 Tom Last 29 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Coming at you from left of field here, but sport climbing in Columbia to start through to mountaineering in Patagonia to finish come the austral summer. Sell the van and ride the cheap buses all the way down south. Finding rock and weed shouldn't be a problem.
 Mostin3 29 Apr 2015
In reply to Tom Last:

Cocaine country.
 Mike00010 30 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Mount Kinabalu in Sabah, Borneo. Stay at the Gurkha hut and spend a couple of months exploring brand new, unclimbed crags on lovely grippy granite.
 Stevie989 30 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:
I was in a similar situation last year with the exception of as much funds to travel.

I basically had a business that closed around June - suddenly with loads of free time and not much else I took up climbing again (had previously dicked about on indoor walls).

Quite literally changed my life - I am now much happier and healthier.

I may not have as much money as I did when but I am now financially pretty stable - self employed (with shifts at the local wall for stability) trying to fit as much climbing/training in as I can and enjoying life.

Good luck to you.

Stevie

(and I'd sell the van - get cheaper van and hit up Europe!)
Post edited at 09:45
 DWS gibraltar 30 Apr 2015
In reply to dan_dangled
some people have mentioned the far east I quiet like the sound of that! what about spain then morocco. Both places are cheap but the landscapes in morocco are amazing.
In reply to DWS gibraltar:

I'd add a third vote for Morocco. You can practically live for nothing, the people are extremely welcoming, and there's enough variety to keep you interested for quite a while I would think. No girls in bikinis, but you'll find winter trad down in Tafraout, springtime sport in Todra, big wall stuff in Taghia, bouldering in Oukaimeden, excellent mountaineering year-round in the High Atlas, ice climbing up there in winter (and skiing), and a good surf scene in Agadir.

Marrakech and Agadir are both the kind of places it sounds like you might enjoy, and there are frequently a load of stoned Europeans hanging out around Tafraout, particularly for the new year rave at the Painted Rocks!

You can get a flight down to Agadir for about £90 one way, and once you're there you can travel around easily on next to nothing. Best of all, it's not too committing as you won't have spent that much and can come home any time you want, once you've got it out of your system. Think you might have to pop across to Spain every now and again to 'renew' your entry and exit stamps, as I think there's a limit on how long you can stay there, but given the climbing in southern Spain I doubt that will be a hardship.
 Goucho 30 Apr 2015
In reply to handofgod:

> Sounds like to me, you’re going to be living the dream but as most things in life, dreams too have to come to an end.

> Your parents advice would be as follows:

> Assuming you’re depended to a certain degree on ‘pot’, spend some of the 3k, possibly c.1k on having counselling to overcome your addiction.

> In-between getting yourself off the gear, you could work on your CV highlighting your strengths and key attributes.

> You could also at this point seek guidance from your local careers office on how you could better your skill set thus making you more appealing to prospective employers.

> You could even push the boat right out and do a course at a local collage. Some good outdoor based course available.

> So once you’re clean, CV in order dotted your I’s and crossed your T’s, you can start applying for another JOB.

> Depending on how well the above points have been followed, you might actually get another JOB!

> And before you know it, once again you will be back on the gut wrenching rollercoaster of real life aka THE RAT RACE!

> My advice is as follows:

> Climb,smoke and bonk yourself stupid round the world and when you end up a flee ridden mess, come back to good old blight for the NHS to pick up the pieces

> Enjoy !

Spoken like a true accountant. If you're not already one, then you've missed your vocation in life.

To the OP, go and do it. It's better to regret the things you've done, than the things you didn't.

The world doesn't move on that much in 12 months, and when you reach your deathbed, it'll be memories running through your head, not your latest bank statement
OP dan_dangled 01 May 2015

My parents are not wealthy, comfortable but by no means going to let me live on hand outs, neither would I want too.
May also be worth noting I have worked since leaving school at 16, completing an apprenticeship within engineering and I am fairly well qualified so my concern is not so much about my career on return. Besides, as it goes I am not even sure it is what I want to do anyway but such is life.

I have a bit of an idea... It will not be until July that I can leave anyway but, fly to Colorado and spend a week or so in a hostel, then move through Utah and spend some time climbing there, I have read that it is considerably easier to wild camp and such there than in Yosemite. Move onto Yosemite from there. Maybe a few days in California in a hostel if funds allow, then onto Thailand from there providing I am able to retain enough money to get there, then come home when moneys broke to a chunk ill leave at my parents to keep me going for a little while on my return.

What is the feasibility of this?! Please, scrutinise my plan as much as possible and advise of any issues I will face.

Thanks all
 Robert Durran 01 May 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

>......... then move through Utah and spend some time climbing there......

You may find it somewhat hot climbing in Utah in the summer!
 JJL 01 May 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

There was an intro piece in the old Arapiles guide that described "the dream" rather well. Somehting about burned pog. Anyone got a copy? Mine got lent somewhere about 10 years ago!
 Misha 01 May 2015
In reply to Robert Durran:
Yeah way too hot I suspect. Was in Indian Creek second half of October and even that was too hot in he sun in the middle of the day.

seankenny 01 May 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Just too hot in Utah. Most of the western states is a spring/autumn destination. Why not just wait around in the UK, get as much climbing done as you can without burning through your cash, then hit the west coast in Sept for the classic Yosemite-Red Rocks-Utah-JTree-Hueco style trip? Or if you want to go early - I did when doing a similar trip a few years ago - then hit Tuolomne, Tahoe and the High Sierra before Yosemite, then head down south to Utah, Nevada and Southern California as the weather changes. Or start in Squamish first perhaps?

Bear in mind that it can be difficult getting around the US without a car, but that once you're in a climbing destination either everything is nearby (Yosemite) or you can easily get lifts into town (Red Rocks, Josh). Also you can usually bum lifts between areas with travelling climbers - the whole road trip scene is big over there. America isn't a cheap destination any more imho unless you're camping out of town most of the time - you don't need to wild camp, regular sites are often pretty cheap, but you will probably be a long way from shops and showers. In short: go where all the other climbers are.

Don't bother with Spain, Morocco, etc - you don't get many chances in a lifetime to go on a long trip so might as well go far away as possible. You can do Morocco in a week-long trip from the UK and Spain for a long weekend. I suspect long weekends in Indian Creek are a bit of a minority occupation.
In reply to seankenny:

Yeah another idea was Squamish first then on down from there! It being too hot on the west coast was a concern.
Is there much of a climbing scene west coast through the winter or not?

maybe holding off for a few months would the right thing to do, I am just keen to get away after being tied down for the last 6 years haha!
 seankenny 01 May 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

> Yeah another idea was Squamish first then on down from there! It being too hot on the west coast was a concern.

> Is there much of a climbing scene west coast through the winter or not?

Bishop, Red Rocks, Josh, Hueco - all pretty popular in the winter, clearly the Nov- Jan period can be a bit of a lottery. If I were you I'd head over to Supertopo for more info, tho there is a good outline on the Other Channel:
http://209.135.140.14/boulder/board/index.php?topic=21295.msg387459#msg3874...
In reply to dan_dangled:

I have another question...

I appreciate that it is unlikely I will have the perfect rack given that I will probably have my life in a rucksack, but... Anyone with any knowledge of the areas able to advise on what my trad rack should consist of for Yosemite/Utah?
 Roberttaylor 01 May 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

> My parents are not wealthy, comfortable but by no means going to let me live on hand outs, neither would I want too.

> May also be worth noting I have worked since leaving school at 16, completing an apprenticeship within engineering and I am fairly well qualified so my concern is not so much about my career on return. Besides, as it goes I am not even sure it is what I want to do anyway but such is life.

That's more like it. Have an awesome trip.
 Rharrison 01 May 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

I would start in Canada and head south. Plenty of good climbing in Washington (and legal weed), smith Rock then yosemite for autumn. J-Tree and bishop all winter then Utah in spring! That's my plan at least, hopefully in a year or two. Standard rack fine for everywhere except Utah, where you need CAMS and loads of them. Have fun!
 seankenny 01 May 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

> I have another question...

> I appreciate that it is unlikely I will have the perfect rack given that I will probably have my life in a rucksack, but...

Fly Virgin, you can take two bags very cheaply.

Anyone with any knowledge of the areas able to advise on what my trad rack should consist of for Yosemite/Utah?

Again, check out Supertopo, where locals give a full run down of what they use. This info is available and relatively easy to find out...

Robert Durran 01 May 2015
In reply to seankenny:

> Anyone with any knowledge of the areas able to advise on what my trad rack should consist of for Utah?

For Indian Creek, divide pitch length by how far apart you are brave enough to place your cams for a given crack width. You need that many cams which fit that given crack width

Misha 01 May 2015
In reply to seankenny:
Or Icelandair. 2 x 23kg bags and was cheapest for Heathrow - Denver last year.

Bhealey 02 May 2015
In reply to dan_dangled: 3k is huge, I have been out of the uk and on the road since feb and have spent a lot less than that, Europe is easy to travel and climb, it's really friendly and cheap and almost everything is better quality than the uk. But saying that you can always hop in your van and come here anytime I would just go to the states or canada or South America or something then doss about in Europe when your back.

Timmd 02 May 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:
> "What will you do after your 3-8 months?"

> Funnily enough id not thought of that yet, although id imagine get a job to repeat what will probably be an awesome time.

> Good advice on Yosemite being warm, I had heard September is a good time to arrive.

> thank you all for the advice, ive been somewhat swamped and now have decisions to make haha.

> Any more info anyone has then please keep posting!! info on where has good dirtbag scenes etc. would be good.

If you don't smoke/smoke less pot, you'll probably be more alert to new opportunities / potential dangers, and in fitter climbing shape too. Happy trails. (:~))
Post edited at 14:50
 Ben.o.neill 06 May 2015
In reply to dan_dangled:

Hey dan.

Not so much on the location side of advice but more on the lifestyle choice. Just read your reply about having been working and done an apprenticeship and all that. I had done exactly the same as you. Left school at 18, got an apprenticeship in engineering.worked, studied and saved for 5 years and now I'm traveling around Asia hitting as many climbing spots as I can. I left a comfortable, well paid job to go and travel, climb and live. Best decision I've ever made.

You have the rest of your life to worry about the future. Go and make the most of this opportunity.

Good luck and enjoy your self.

Oh and the climbing isn't terrible out here either...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...