UKC

POI database of Alpine cols

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ablackett 05 May 2015
I have borrowed a Garmin Edge Touring GPS from a friend for a trip cycling to the Alps this summer. I am playing around with it, to see if it will do everything I want before buying it. One thing I would like to do it download a list of Alpine Cols and upload it to the Garmin so I can plan a ride which goes to a few cols and then makes a round trip simply by tapping in the POI's.

Does anyone know of a website which can give me such a file? I have found a few posts about this online, but to be honest I can't get my head around what any of them are saying, nor can I find the Alpine col's data I am after.

Thanks for any info.
 Sam Yarwood 20 May 2015
In reply to ablackett:

Not sure if this site provides quite what you're after, but it's got most info that you need about most big hills one can cycle up:

http://www.climbbybike.com

Sam
 Dark-Cloud 20 May 2015
In reply to ablackett:
If you can plan a route that takes in more than 3 or 4 good climbs without covering A LOT of ground then you are dong well, for instance, Croix De Fer, Telegraph, Galibier is a good 90 mile ride from Allemont and back, circuit of the Izoard from Briancon is around 40 miles from memory, generally you will end up doing out and back a lot if you are col bagging, there is of course a hell of a lot of smaller cols around that you can link together but the classics are a challenge to do circular.

Where are you headed too specifically ?

And as above, climb by bike is your bible for cols, otherwise plan your own using ridewithgps.com and download the GPX files to the Garmin.
Post edited at 19:41

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...