UKC

BIG cameras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Fraser 06 May 2015
The other day I tried taking a few snaps with a friend's Canon 1DX coupled with his 100-400mm lens. My goodness, I think I can count that as a full day's upper body training - what a weight! Made me glad I didn't have to lug that about each time I went climbing. I'll never again complain about the weight of my puny Nikon D7000.

How do you folk who use heavy camera equipment cope? Don't your neck / arms / shoulders ache after a day's shooting? (assuming you don't always have a handy tripod)
 d_b 06 May 2015
In reply to Fraser:

I met a photographer in the Julian Alps once who was shooting pics for a coffee table book. He had a mate carrying a load of his camera gear for him
OP Fraser 06 May 2015
In reply to davidbeynon:

I do like the sound of that, but even just the act of raising the camera to eye level and shooting a quick burst (@14f/s!) was enough to exhaust my arms!
 dek 06 May 2015
In reply to Fraser:

Wimp! Try shooting with a Penta 6x7 or a hasselblad+tele lens...
Removed User 06 May 2015
OP Fraser 06 May 2015
In reply to Removed User:

That's like comparing apples and ... marrows. Very large marrows at that!
 dek 06 May 2015

'Snort'.....I bet the wimp has wheels on its case...
 Marek 06 May 2015

> pfttt.. thats not a knife

>

I want to see this with a telephone lens with an equivalent field of view of the OP's 1DX setup. Might need more than two tripods.
 london_huddy 06 May 2015
In reply to Fraser:
When I was shooting motorsport, I carried:
1d iv
5d II
400 f2.8 on a monopod and with a 1.4x extender for extra reach
70-200 2.8
24-70 2.8
50 1.4
17-35 2.8

Spare batteries for both, plus cards and sometimes a laptop as well for on the go editing.

All in all, it weighed a lot and it all made for long days!
Post edited at 18:15
In reply to Fraser:

Very lightweight stuff

When I was doing my mountain books I had a Hasselblad 6x6 with 3 huge Zeiss lenses (sometimes a hired 400mm lens too), a teleconvertor, a Wista 4 x 5" Field view camera plus three lenses, a Fuji 690 6 x 9 roll film camera, and a Fuji 645. On my last book, a Horseman Superwide 6 x 12 replaced my Wista field camera. Some days I would have about three of these cameras with me. On one photoshoot on High Tor I had both the Horseman and the Fuji 645 with me (probably the biggest format cameras ever used on a static line at High Tor??) The Hasselblad would come with me on many an abseil/prussik. In addition to all the above I had a massively heavy Manfrotto tripod for the landscape plate camera work in poor light. Plus a separate spotmeter (weighed more than many modern digital cameras!)
 Sean Bell 06 May 2015
In reply to Fraser:

In a word Fraser, yes!!! Lots of trapezius/shoulder/back issues over the years from hanging two heavy cameras/lenses around my neck for long periods. Although recently started using 'sunsniper' straps instead of the standard type and so far I can feel a huge difference, not only easier to sling the camera around when on jobs it spreads the load a bit better and I dont 'hunch' as much to try to keep the strap on my shoulder.Worth the £40 in my opinion.The cost of one physio session.

Hope you are well.

Sean
 FactorXXX 06 May 2015
In reply to Fraser:

I use a D7000 and a 150-500mm lens quite often and think it's a bit heavy and cumbersome.
Then I think back to my army days of carrying a SLR of the 7.62mm variety, plus all the ammo, plus all the other stuff and smile to myself and consider myself quite fortunate...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...