UKC

Camera Comparison

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andy Cloquet 06 May 2015
Trying to decide on one of the many 'robust' style cameras: looking at Panasonic / Lumix FT5 & Olympus / Tough TG3.
Both seem good but does anyone have any real-time experience of either, please?
 nutme 06 May 2015

I have TG3 camera and take it with me on bad weather or long adventures when I live from my backpack.

Generally I am happy with the camera.
Best thing that it fits in any pocket and its boot time is less than a second. So I can take it out of pocket, take a picture and put it back in less than 5 - 10 seconds.
Picture quality is very good in daytime / horrible at night. But that's expected.
I never dropped it, so can't say about durability. But waterproof quality was tested many times in rain, snow and sea.
GPS is fast to lock and camera has altimeter. Both are fast and precise.
Battery lasts for a week shooting 50 - 100 frames per day (my normal rate).

The bad things about TG3 which bothers me when using it outdoors:
* No lens cap or protection. Grease and dirt stay on glass. Normally I clean it with clothes I am wearing. But it's annoying.
* Flash and frame setting are dropped then changing modes or turned off.
* WiFi can work only like a hotspot. You can't use camera on it's own to send picture via email or upload it to Facebook. My other cameras can do it. Btw official Android application does not work with this camera for me. So WiFi in my case is non-existing. Normally I use microSD card inside the camera and put it in to my phone to upload pictures from huts.
* Not standard USB cable to charge the camera. I really have no idea why they did it..
* Camera is rated to work at -10C. And it works in nice Alpine environment. But in Scotland with just -4C I had ice building up outside it and blocking buttons. Couldn't operate it at all.
* It's not winter gloves friendly. Tbh it's more or less alright with Rab Alpine gloves to turn on and shoot without zooming or changing any settings. With thicker gloves it can not be operated at all.

Hope it helps
Post edited at 15:25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...