UKC

Charging Setups for multiple week expeditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Gabe Oliver 09 May 2015
Hey Everyone,

I'm heading on a multiple week expedition in August of this year and I was wonder what people's setups are for charging cameras/phones are that period of time. I've looked into chargers like the Brunton Revolt and also Solar panels like the Freeloader Globetrotter. Roughly speaking I'll be charging a small hand held camera for taking photos and probably very little else.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated. Cheers

Gabe
 dunnyg 09 May 2015
In reply to Gabe Oliver:
I've used solar pannels or if its an option just pack in/out spare batteries.
 mlt 09 May 2015
In reply to Gabe Oliver:

My set up for charging two DSLRs/GoPro/phone/laptop on multi-week trips is probably overkill for your needs but maybe it will give you some ideas:

2 x Goal Zero Nomad 27W solar panel
2 x Goal Zero Sherpa 50 battery pack
2 x UniPal Plus Universal Battery Chargers (it will literally charge almost all batteries on the market)
1 x 12V male to USB/micro USB adapter
3 x 3.5mm jack to 12v adapter (which plugs in to the 12v male/USB adapter, third one acts as a spare)
Relevant charging cables - you can also shorten/resolder your charging cables if needing to save weight

The Nomad 20 is probably a good option for your needs. I've heard the stating charging times with the Freeloaders cannot be trusted... All I can really say is you won't regret buying a panel that has a wider surface area/more power as you'll shorten your charging times.
 radson 10 May 2015
In reply to Gabe Oliver:

I used to refer to myself as the CSO on expedtions. Chief Solar Officer and yeah I would use the Goal Zero stuff to charge Macbook Airs, cameras. Ipads, Sat phones etc etc.
 67hours 10 May 2015
In reply to Gabe Oliver:
"I'll be charging a small hand held camera for taking photos and probably very little else"

If that's it, just take some spare batteries. I bought 4x spare batteries for my camera on Amazon (not the genuine Panasonic ones but a third-party) and if you don't review the pictures on the screen too much thats fine. I lasted 3 weeks like that and the camera is not especially battery efficient.
Post edited at 19:14

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...