UKC

Southern Sandstone Open Meeting 17th May

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Bob Moulton 09 May 2015
A Sandstone Open Meeting is being held on 17th May at the Bowles Rocks Bar, at 6 for 6:30 pm. Snacks provided by the BMC. Buy your own drinks. All welcome.

As ever, this is an opportunity for Sandstone climbers to come along, catch up with their mates over a beer and some free food and raise any issues they feel need discussing to do with climbing on Sandstone.

The main discussion point for this meeting is the issue of accessing the Isolated Buttress at Harrison’s Rocks following the removal of the loose block last year. This was discussed at the previous open meeting with a variety of suggestions made to solve the problem of getting across the gap between the main crag and the top of the buttress. The viability of these suggestions has been considered by the Harrison's Rocks Management Group and investigated by the BMC’s Land Management Group and a bridge has been identified as the preferred option. The BMC and HRMG would welcome the views of the meeting about this proposed work.

The agenda will also cover the other major Sandstone crags, and will allow for any other matters to be raised.

Bob
Sarah Cullen 10 May 2015
In reply to Bob Moulton:

Great stuff. If anyone reading this is intending to come along, please click 'Going' on the Sandstone Volunteers Group Facebook Event - https://www.facebook.com/events/1577819125831969/ to give us an indication of numbers (we want to make sure there's enough food !).

In reply to Bob Moulton:

Lots to talk about, see you there!
Sarah Cullen 12 May 2015
In reply to Bob Moulton:

Put it in your diary everyone !
OP Bob Moulton 13 May 2015
In reply to Bob Moulton:

Thanks to Trangia for his email re access to Isolated Buttress. I will report his apologies and his view at the meeting,

Bob
 Graham Ad 13 May 2015
In reply to Bob Moulton:

This has to be one of the most important Sandstone Open Meetings that have been held over the 20+ year history of sandstone climbers getting together to discuss the issues. If you have an opinion, please come along if you can. If you can't make it, please make your opinion heard so that as wide a range of opinions may be gathered...
Cheers,
Graham.
XXXX 13 May 2015
In reply to Graham Ad:

I was under the impression the issue of the bridge had already been unilaterally decided.

So why should I attend? Genuine question. What avenues are still open to feed into the consultation?
 Graham Ad 13 May 2015
In reply to XXXX:

I don't know how 'firm' the decision is. I have asked for the issue of the proposed bridge to be fully discussed at the open meeting as I believe this is the forum at which sandstone matters have traditionally been discussed.
The loss of the boulder was but a few days old at the last meeting in October and despite some very strong opinions being voiced, there were not many voices.

Agree or disagree, the issue is very emotive and deserves further discussion. If you're not there or do not make your opinion known beforehand, your opinion has no effect.

I'm gutted that I can't be there but I've made my views quite clear.

Cheers,
Graham.
OP Bob Moulton 14 May 2015

> Thanks to Trangia for his email re access to Isolated Buttress. I will report his apologies and his view at the meeting,

In reply to Bob Moulton: Thanks also to Ian Bell's email with his comments, which I will also be reporting to the meeting. Likewise Graham's comments, which he has already given to me.

Bob

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...