UKC

Lake Disctrict Bouldering

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Matrix 10 May 2015
Hi everyone

I am planning to go to Lake district for camping but also for some bouldering,

I am looking for V0-V3 Problems, I enjoy more the beefy ones,

Can anyone recommend a site ?

Thanks

B.
 Johnsulli 10 May 2015
In reply to Matrix:

The main areas I've been to are st bees and Eskdale granite. Great boulder problems at both, but there's plenty more to go at - coniston and Langdale both have some great problems from what I've heard. There's also the Bowderstone, but the problems are generally quite hard

Plenty of info and guides on http://www.lakesbloc.com
 Jon Stewart 10 May 2015
In reply to Matrix:

St. Bees is quite possibly the best low-mid grade bouldering in the UK. Nothing else in the Lakes gets close.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/videos/play.php?i=1807

As for campsites, I've stayed at a big caravan type site at St. Bees which wasn't fantastic. You might be better off more into the Lakes itself?
Matrix 10 May 2015
In reply to Matrix:
Thank you guys for the info, the web site link, is very useful, I m staying 6 miles south of Keswick, so I am not sure if I ll have time for another hour drive , so I ll have to try and find something near by.
 Jon Stewart 10 May 2015
In reply to Matrix:

North Lakes' best bet by far is Carrock Fell - lovely place, rough gabbro.

Carrock Fell Crag
Matrix 11 May 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

Thanks I ll check it out
 johang 12 May 2015
In reply to Matrix:

I'd check out the Honister Boulders if you're staying south of Keswick. If you're into walk-ins, Gillercombe Boulders may be worth a visit, and the Sour Milk Ghyll circuit has a bit to offer. Don't bother with the Bowderstone. There's one V3, and it's not really V3.....

Also, another vote here for Carrock Fell (and Eskdale). Controversially, I prefer Carrock to St Bees, but I like edges and lack technique.....

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...