UKC

New Bouldering Venue - Dartmoor

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tomrainbow 12 May 2015
A few of us have developed the Becka Brook Boulders over the course of the Winter. Beautiful spot, short walk in (tiring walk out), lovely rock...just not all that extensive unfortunately.

youtube.com/watch?v=JftWo3MCZT0&
 TMM 12 May 2015
In reply to tomrainbow:

Is this located between Hisley Bridge and Manaton?

Given your interest in the area have you explored the boulders in Knowle Woods in Lustleigh? This is located in access land and there has been a lot woodland management recently which has exposed a lot of nice looking rock.
I reckon there is more to go at here than on the flank of Hound Tor ridge (South side of Lustleigh Cleave above the B.O.A.T between Hisley Bridge and Manaton/Water) which looks like your Becka Brook location.
OP tomrainbow 12 May 2015
In reply to TMM:

Yes, I have had a nose around Higher Knowle Woods a couple of times but I was a bit put off because at the base of the slope you run into a drive to a property and I was told, in no uncertain terms, that I was on private land. I hadn't crossed any fences from the footpath! I decided to leave it and, as I recall, the rock didn't look too good (but my memory may well be playing tricks on me...or it was a different location).

Thanks for the heads up though.

By the way...what is B.O.A.T?
 TMM 12 May 2015
In reply to tomrainbow:

I know where you are talking about. You get close to the driveway for Higher Knowle (great house)!

There is nice boulder at the base of the Wray Valley on the footpath between Wrayland and water works accessed off Mill Road in Lustleigh.

The best boulders are in some of the gardens. There are two in particular which would offer many challenges, some of them rather highball.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.61889,-3.725279,3a,75y,238.39h,97.42t/dat...
There is a bigger boulder behind this lot which looks very compact.
There is a great boulder in another garden near the 'sacrificial virgin boulder'. If you walk from the centre of the village through the orchard it is on your right after you cross the bridge after leaving the orchard.

B.O.A.T: Bridle Way Open to all Traffic aka 'The Old Manaton Road' aka home to noisy gits on scramblers!
 fire_munki 12 May 2015
In reply to tomrainbow:

Video looks good, is there going to be a topo on Javu or Rusty Peg?
OP tomrainbow 12 May 2015
In reply to fire_munki:

No, but there will probably be one in the not too distant future on:

http://shaptor.wikifoundry.com/

which is home for woodland bouldering in Devon.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...