UKC

NEW ARTICLE: You Know You're a Climber When...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 14 May 2015
Wow Lycra pants!, 6 kbA recent forum thread titled 'You know you're a climber when...' prompted numerous responses, many of which will be all too accurate for a lot of climbers, yet they will proudly acknowledge their uncouth habits with a knowing smile. From climbing in places and on things we shouldn't be, to incessantly talking about grades, the weather and generally alienating ourselves further from the rest of society, it seems that you know you're a climber when climbing takes over your everyday life...

With thanks to the UKC users who contributed to the thread and provided the content for this article.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=7326
astley007 14 May 2015
In reply to UKC Articles:

When "Christheclimber" still turns up at the crag wearing the same clothes and harness stating "there is years of life in them yet!"
 Dave Musgrove 14 May 2015

Guilty. To around 85% of the charges at least.
In reply to astley007:

> When "Christheclimber" still turns up at the crag wearing the same clothes and harness stating "there is years of life in them yet!"

Slander. I'll find the old lycra and where them in Kalymnos in October, beware!
astley007 15 May 2015
In reply to Christheclimber:

Then there will have to be a "ritual burning" at a crag of your choice, along with your chewing gum white vests!!!!
 Reach>Talent 15 May 2015

A lot of good ones, I would add:

- You've had to hold a pint glass between your forearms because you overdid it at the wall and your fingers don't work properly.

- Loft ladders seem like a pointless extravagance.

- You've fallen off the outside of your house.

- "Finger tight" can lead to stripped threads.

- You've sized down regular footwear so they edge better.

astley007 15 May 2015
In reply to Reach>Talent:

Thanks,
Thought that we had "hijacked" a thread, from a very good and funny article from UKC.
Cannot understand why "Mussy" is only 85% there...maybe he doesnt where flip-flops to the pub?
There must be lots more lycra stories waiting?.....and surely its ready to make a come-back?
 Yanis Nayu 15 May 2015

> - "Finger tight" can lead to stripped threads.

Brilliant)
 Stevie989 15 May 2015

I have fallen off the outside of my house.

Also mangled the doors fames with ice axes and knackered the skirting board with shoes!
 northy1983 15 May 2015

On your rest days,you go to scrub down your project line.

The look on your wife's face becomes the norm when coming back an hour late from your "dog walk" again...
 petegunn 15 May 2015
In reply to northy1983:

Spending more time cleaning the crags/routes than you do your own home : )
 Rollo Rolo 16 May 2015
- You replaced your dog's broken collar with a prusik cord tied with double fisherman knot. Also, since the leash is gone missing you just walk him on a sling.
Post edited at 23:18
 staceyjg 17 May 2015

You own more pairs of rock shoes than normal shoes.
 ArnaudG 18 May 2015

I'm probably at 80-85% on this too.
I have knackered door frame with ice-axes, nearly crashed the car spotting potential lines on nearby crags and used to find social situation incredibly awkward if they involved normal (i.e. non-climbing) people as I had nothing to say to them.

Quick addition: you take extreme pride in not needing tyre levers for getting the tyre off (or back on) your bicycle.
 Šljiva 18 May 2015
In reply to ArnaudG:
... a day out has taken enough skin off your fingertips that your iPhone doesn't recognise you, and the motorway service station cardboard cup of tea is way too hot to hold for at least 30 miles (true stories from this weekend!)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...