UKC

WANTED: Climbing Holds for Blind Child's Sensory Play Space

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
charlotte_mellor 15 May 2015
Hi All

My name is Charlotte and I have a daughter, 4 year old Scarlett who is soon to turn 5!

Despite having no sight Scarlett is a keen and fearless rock climber! She has very little motivating things in her life. as she is no a fan of toys etc, but gross motor is really her thing, especially CLIMBING!

I am currently in the process of converting my garage into a sensory room which will encompass all the Scarlett loves! MUSIC and MOVEMENT!

I am making a climbing wall for her in there and I am looking for anyone who may be selling old climbing holds that I can use to construct this epic wall of fun!

Kindest regards

Charlotte xxx
 grubes 15 May 2015
In reply to charlotte_mellor:
If you contact climbing walls in your area they normally have old holds they may be willing to sell off cheap.

TomPR often has old holds to sell cheap and my be worth a message http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/profile.php?id=18009 If he can I am sure he will help you. I think he could be in norway at the moment.

Good luck with your project it sounds great
Post edited at 14:42
 Sayon 15 May 2015

Hi Charlotte
I am sure we can sort you out with some holds for free, if you are able to collect them (west Midlands area). They are heavy so not really suitable for courier delivery, though.
 dingbat46 15 May 2015

I live down near Warwick so can potentially deliver these holds on one of my many weekend travels. Will be heading to North Yorkshire, Cambridge, the Peak and North Lincolnshire over the next 4 weeks. Not sure if any of those locations are any use?
In reply to Sayon:

Hi!!!!

That would be wonderful and I will more than happily come to the west midlands to collect. I am based in Manchester so its a bit of a drive but I have friends in the area so can use it as a great excuse to call in and say hello! When is the best time for collection and where in west midlands are you?

charlotte x
In reply to dingbat46:

Hello!

Thank you so kindly for your response!

I am based in Manchester so can happily meet you on any of your northern adventures

Just tell me when and where and I'll be there!

Once again thank you very much I appreciate your kindness xxx
 EddInaBox 15 May 2015
In reply to dingbat46:
Flexing my finger muscles and practising my Google-Fu, I conclude the O.P. is the author of this site:

http://www.throughscarlettseyes.com/

and on the contacts page the 'phone number has a Manchester (or thereabouts) area code.

[edit] ...beaten to it!
Post edited at 16:54
 Sayon 15 May 2015

We're in Newport Shrops- not too far from the Stoke/Shrewsbury turnoff on the M6. Check out the website for opening hours, will clean the holds and get them ready for you to collect. How many would you like, by the way? www.newportrock.com
In reply to EddInaBox:

That is some serious google-fu! I feel I must rename you 'ColumboInaBox'!

That is my website, it is an online parents support and information website, I will of course be creating a kick-ass article to accompany the 'eco-friendly' sensory play place and giving out massive virtual high fives too all that helps
In reply to Sayon:

Just thought it worth saying that your response is an illustration of what UKC should aspire to.

Wonderful stuff.
 marsbar 15 May 2015

Sounds like she is lucky to have a mum that understands her needs
 Greasy Prusiks 15 May 2015

If you need any t nuts for putting the holds up I've got a few you can have. Good luck with the project!
 MischaHY 15 May 2015

The responses to this thread have been inspiring, frankly. Wonderful to see such willingness to help someone purely out of the goodness of your hearts. Well done to all of you!
 stuartholmes 16 May 2015
Hi Charlotte based in Bolton and have some you can have for free. Some are a bit older but have bolts also if you need them. Let me know if you want them
Post edited at 21:27

Hi Charlotte

It looks like you've got loads of holds coming your way but if your still short, please give me a shout.

Dave D.
charlotte_mellor 19 May 2015
In reply to Sayon:

Hi

Would it be possible to call on Saturday? At say about 10.30am just after you have opened?

I'm not sure how many i'm going to need to be honest, I'm doing 3 pieces of 7x4ft plywood across one wall of the garage...do you have any ideas of the amount of holds I should try to source!

Charlotte
In reply to stuartholmes:

Hi Stuart

Thank you kindly for your response! Yes I would very greatly appreciate anything you can spare! Which climbing centre in Bolton? I am not too far from you at all so when would be good for me to call?

Kind regards

Charlotte
 Sayon 19 May 2015

Hi Charlotte, by all means pop in then, we are running childrens club til 11.30 so it might be a bit hectic! I am sure we can work out suitable quantities that you need.
In reply to Sayon:

Hi!

I will come at 11.30 then, I have a full day so I can easily move things around!

Thank you very very very much! I can't wait to show you my attempt at a diy climbing wall!

Charlotte

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...