UKC

First camera advice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 andyd1970 17 May 2015
I am looking at buying a camera for my 12 year old daughter but I don't really know much about them, so I am after some advice please.
I think a digital SLR would probably be the right choice but not sure.
She takes pictures on her smart phone which has the option to adjust the colour before she takes the pictures, i.e black and white but would this option be available on all DSLR's?
I am after something cheap that's not to difficult to use and is as cheap as possible
Thanks
 liamando 17 May 2015
In reply to andyd1970:

On a DSLR you have to choose the exposure time, focal length and sensitivity of the camera all before you take the pic it is not just a point and shoot. They do have automatic shoot modes but these will not normally produce a great photo, and means no point buying a dslr over a bridge or compact. Not saying she wouldn't be able to learn it but it is nothing like using a smartphone and even the entry level camera aren't to cheap...
 Rob Exile Ward 17 May 2015
In reply to andyd1970:

I'm not sure 'cheap' and 'digital slr' go together particularly well.

FWIW I have a Canon 1100 which is an entry level SLR, and I think it's great - and I think that learning to use it properly (e.g. depth of field, colour balance, ISO settings, focus and aperture lock etc etc) would set your daughter up with core skills that will last forever.
 Adrien 17 May 2015
In reply to andyd1970:

Depends what she is after, a DSLR is potentially an amazing tool but I would say you need to invest more money to make the most out of it, since to me the point of a DSLR is that you can swap lenses and use specialty glass (like a macro lens for small critters, a fast lens for portraits, etc.). I don't think it's worth the hassle and cost if you're not passionate about photography.

These days you can find great all-around bridge cameras that deliver good image quality at both wide and tele focal lengths, like Nikon's latest P900 or the cheaper Panasonic FZ200. If she'd like something more compact Sony's RX100 III has a very good reputation, and so does Canon's GX7. Here's an interesting round-up on high-end compact cameras: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/6657172030/high-end-pocketable-compacts-20...

I don't know whether you can adjust the colour before shooting but you can do it afterwards in the camera, whether you have a DSLR or a bridge (and I assume a compact) camera.
OP andyd1970 17 May 2015
In reply to Adrien:

Thanks for the advice guys, but it looks more like a Bridge camera she would need.
I was trying to get one as cheap as possible because it may be just a phase, as it is with kids but some of the photo's she has taken on her smart phone are amazing and she seams to be able to capture moments very well.
 Dan Arkle 17 May 2015
In reply to andyd1970:

I wouldn't buy or even recommend a dSLR for anyone unless they are certain that is what they need. (Size and weight means less portability - Most dSLRs are at home in a cupboard at home right now). Although obviously they are THE tool for those that want them.

Get her a compact/bridge that has full manual control features - usually this means the main dial will have an M, Av, and Tv or S settings. This will give her full control to learn, and in a year or so she may decide to step up further.

A Panasonic FZ200 sounds like a good budget option, or even a second hand Canon S90 (£70) or G7 (£120) would be great starting points.
In reply to andyd1970:

I don't agree with the posters who say don't get a DSLR. They are great fun to learn photography and a used Canon 400d with kit lens can be picked up for around £130 on Ebay. If she doesn't use it, sell it on for not much of a loss. DSLRs that are fairly old hold their value pretty well when they hit the £100 mark. The thing you get with a DSLR is the integrity of the real viewfinder and really fast responses and much more control (and ease of access to that control) than a compact or bridge.
OP andyd1970 18 May 2015
In reply to blackmountainbiker:

Thanks for all the advice it's much appreciated and I will now ponder on all your suggestions!
 ashaughnessy 18 May 2015
In reply to andyd1970:

My serious suggestion would be - what's wrong with her smartphone? There's a lot of serious work done by serious photographers on smartphones. It's something she probably has with her all the time, it's easy to use, and has instant access for uploading to twitter, instagram, etc. Also has lots of interesting and fun apps for controlling taking and post-processing. You don't get this on other "real" cameras, so she'd possibly be losing some of the fun features that she enjoys, while having a harder time with post-processing and uploading from a more serious camera. So I'd suggest - buy her the latest iPhone 6 loaded with some good photo apps. Unless she's specifically asked for a dedicated camera there's a good chance it will be left on the shelf in favour of the always-in-the-hand all-purpose device.

Anthony
 Skyfall 18 May 2015
In reply to andyd1970:

I learned with a film SLR back in the day when v young. Whether the digital age changes that I'm not sure.
 Solaris 18 May 2015
In reply to andyd1970:

Key thing will be whether she has a decent eye for an image. If she has, then she'll want to develop her ability and buy a camera that gives her maximum control over the picture she's making. If she hasn't, no amount of control will enable her to make a good picture.

So, I'd buy her a compact point and shoot and a book that'll inspire her to "see" and encourage her to have fun experimenting. DSLRs can be a bit intimidating to experienced photographers, so I wonder what a novice would feel if one were put in their hands...
Graeme G 18 May 2015
In reply to andyd1970:

Does she really want to learn photography or just point a camera at things? Our 11 year old is going on a school trip soon where they're not allowed phones. She's consequently getting one of these..

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/3597565.htm

If she gets into photography she can borrow the decent cameras later......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...