UKC

Running in the Chalamain Gap

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tony 19 May 2015
Our running club is looking for a decent day run in the Cairngorms, and one suggestion is to do Braeriach from the Sugar Bowl car park, via the Chalamain Gap, and then returning via the Lairig Ghru into Rothiemurcus and back to Loch Morlich. We'll be staying at the Badaguish Outdoor Centre.
My recollection of the Chalamain Gap is that it's a horrible boulder field which I didn't enjoy walking on, never mind trying to run it. Does anyone know the length of the boulder field, so we can build in some extra time for picking our way through the boulders?
As an alternative, has anyone run in from Coylumbridge up Gleann Eanaich to ascend Braeriach, and if so, what's it like?
 Roadrunner5 19 May 2015
In reply to tony:

It's pretty short. I ran through it on the way back from the LG.. after that the trails improve dramatically and get nice running (the way you will come out). It's only minutes long. Maybe 400m, probably less of rougher stuff, I didn't find it too bad and generally the trails before and after were good, but I did walk sections through it.
 malky_c 19 May 2015
In reply to tony:

Some photos of the paths/tracks up from Coylumbridge plus a couple of the gap here:
http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi...

Didn't go through the gap that time but I recall taking about 5 minutes or so to cross the boulderfield when walking through it last August.

Going up from Coylumbridge, the paths are exceptionally smooth until a mile or so beyond the Cairngorm Club footbridge, then merely very good. A little rougher once out of the forest, but still well surfaced for a lot of the way. On my last visit the section prior to joining the Sugar Bowl path was pretty wet, but I think a lot of that was down to very recent snowmelt.
OP tony 19 May 2015
In reply to malky_c:

Thanks Malky, I've run on a few of the tracks up from Coylumbridge, and they're pretty much perfect for running. The bit through the gap is the iffy bit, but if it only takes 5 minutes to walk it, it shouldn't be too bad.
OP tony 19 May 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Thanks Iain, 400m doesn't sound too bad.
 malky_c 19 May 2015
In reply to tony:

Sorry, I see you are talking about getting on Braeriach from the west rather than joining up with the Chalmain Gap path from Coylumbridge. Track up to Loch Eanaich is pretty good - bit more rubbly than the made paths but easy running I would have thought. Easiest way up onto Braeriach from there is Coire Dhondail. Reasonable stalker's path although a bit heathery lower down. However exiting the corrie can be a bit awkward if there is any hard-packed snow left - I know of a couple of people that have almost come unstuck there quite late in the season - I'd imagine it could be awkward just now.

The alternative is to ascend by the shoulder west of Loch Coire an Lochain. There are bits of stalker's path up here unmarked on the map, but they don't appear to drop right into Gleann Eanaich, so a bit of heather bashing for the first 350m of ascent or so. Some more photos and info here:
http://www.scottishhills.com/html/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopi...
 Mark Bull 19 May 2015
In reply to tony:

You can avoid the base of the Gap by keeping above the crags on the NW side. There is a faint path and the extra ascent is only 20 or 30 metres.
 steelbru 19 May 2015
In reply to tony:

Depending on your definition of "a decent day", I can thoroughly recommend the following circuit :

Start (say) Loch Morlich, along past Glenmore Lodge and An Lochain Uaine, take the right fork and climb up the shoulder of Bynack More, take the lefthand fork at 775m, and follow this path all the way to Fords of Avon, and on down the Lairaig an Laoigh and Glen Derry to Derry Lodge. Then follow the path west and then up over the Lairig Ghru, and down to Piccadily. Turn right here, back along to Loch Morlich.

It's about 32 miles, with approx 1150m of climbing - I've done it about 4 or 5 times, and loved it every time !

You can cut through the Chalamain Gap, rather than going down to Piccadily to shorten it slightly.

Usual caveat about conditions, regards crossing Fords of Avon.
 IainMunro 19 May 2015
In reply to tony:

Ran the 4000ers last Thurs starting from the Sugarbowl carpark. The gap is mainly all runnable with a short stretch of boulder hopping. Still a few snow patches on the plateau so decent grippy fell shoes needed.

Have a great trip

Iain
OP tony 20 May 2015
In reply to IainMunro:

Many thanks everybody - all very useful and helpful stuff. I do love UKC for this.

steelbru - 32 miles is a bit much for a club run (well, our club anyway), but it sounds like a great day out.

Fingers crossed for good weather.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...