UKC

Off road Mapometer

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Bernard Shakey 20 May 2015
My girlfriend recently introduced me to mapometer, which I have been using, and found great for logging routes which are road based, for both running and biking, anyone know of something similar which allows you to mark routes on footpaths and bridleways ? I know manometer has the straight line / draw it yourself facility, but its not quite the same, cheers
ceri 20 May 2015
In reply to Bernard Shakey: I'm not sure what you want it to do that mapometer doesn't do? It does have a map layer with footpaths on.
 Auz 21 May 2015
In reply to Bernard Shakey:

www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/osmaps

Should do everything you want but it is ~£20 a year. Worth it though I'd say.
Rigid Raider 21 May 2015

Do what the French do and leave little red and white paint marks all down the route?
aj-mountainman 04 Jun 2015

I use a free app on my windows phone called "hike and bike" it plots your trail on a map and gives you all the details etc, and you can save your trails/ routes.
 balmybaldwin 04 Jun 2015

www.bikehike.co.uk

Go to the course creator, it's much the same as mapometer, but you can set it to use open street maps cycle which allows it to follow bridleways/footpaths rather than draw it manually. it's not perfect (occasiionally footpaths etc aren't joined, and you have to check what it's done and occasionally manually draw a small section.

Change the main map to OSM cycle (top right hand corner of the left map)

Then choose options in the bottom right.

Set routing algoritm to open street maps and travel mode to walking

Then zoom in to the area, and click away to create a course.

Use save route dialog box to change the settings as you need for your device. (it'll upload direct to garmin if you have the communicator plug-in)
 Chris the Tall 04 Jun 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Good advice - it's an excellent web site
Ferret 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Auz:
I use OS maps lots but can't find a way for it to tell me cumulative height gain... any ideas? I usually end up creating my route map there and then trying to roughly replicate it on map my run or mapometer to measure the height.. the problem with the non OS ones being that in wild terrain there is no genuine mapping detail and you have to try to do it from satellite images which is tricky at best and impossible in some places (no features/clouds/dodgy sections where images are spliced etc).

So far I havn't found any replacement for the genuine mapping detail of OS on line

Actually - scrub the above.... the bike hike one does what I want and having read the instructions above on how to use it I've found options on mapometer that I wasn't aware of that 'fix' it too.... doh, I've been missing something simple all this time.

Still wish OS would just tell me cumulative height gain though!
Post edited at 08:06
 Doghouse 05 Jun 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Great site, how do you change between manually drawing a route and it automatically following paths etc? Thanks.
 balmybaldwin 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Doghouse:

I'm restricted at work at the moment, but I think it's the "follow roads" (works for paths too) check box in the options dialog.
 balmybaldwin 05 Jun 2015
In reply to Ferret:
Bikehike does this for you automatically. (at least a decent estimate of it... it always varies a bit in real life)

Note to self: read to the end of posts before replying!
Post edited at 13:25

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...