UKC

NEW ARTICLE: Van Life - On the Road with Greg Boswell

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Articles 26 May 2015
Greg Boswell's van, 3 kbThe cost and effort required to obtain a van and "pimp it out" - so to speak - is unfortunately a limiting factor for many wanting to lead a life on the road.

In this new series, we will be featuring a variety of vans and their owners and getting into the geeky details of their vehicle and its set-up. Whether you're looking for vanspiration as a seasoned dirtbag or you're a VW virgin, you might pick up some helpful hints and tips...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/articles/page.php?id=7375
 AlexBush 26 May 2015
In reply to UKC Articles:

I'm thinking about getting rid of the car (now cycling distance from work) and doing a vivaro/traffic/primestar conversion this summer.

I was originally looking at a transporter but seems like you pay a 'VW tax'.

Anyone got any thoughts on other base vans (want to convert myself rather than get a mazda bongo or similar). I'd like to keep it looking stealthy, probably just a white van with blacked out side window and back windows.
 JamesBrowning 26 May 2015
In reply to AlexBush:

I had a Toyota Hiace for years, quite cheap and the D4D engine is bombproof!
Transporters are totally over-hyped & over-priced, especially the T4 which while strong is getting seriously old!
Personally I'd steer clear of Mercs and the Vivaro/traffic/primestar, especially is you live by the sea, they get rusty very quickly.

James
 hands solo 26 May 2015

me and my girlfriend are going round europe for a few months to be climbing bums cant wait just converting the van now transit 2.5di 1995 you cant beet the old banana engines. direct injection no glow plugs no computer s*&t to go rong.these engines realy are bomb proof and will last a life time with proper maintenece oils ect witch is the most importent thing on the road live for adventure live to fist
 Jesus 26 May 2015
In reply to JamesBrowning:

Have you ever actually seen a rusty vivaro/trafic/primastar?
 nufkin 26 May 2015
In reply to Jesus:

> Have you ever actually seen a rusty vivaro/trafic/primastar?

No-one has - they're like baby pigeons
 Dave Williams 26 May 2015
In reply to Jesus:

Speaking from bitter experience, I think I'd be more concerned about the longevity of the diesel injectors and pump in a Vivaro and its clones than any possibility of rusting.

Get a Toyota or a Ford.

"Ford.
Ford.
Four wheels on a board."

But at least the bloody engines work.
 Denni 26 May 2015
In reply to Dave Williams:
Some friends of mine:

https://www.youtube.com/user/WheresMyOfficeNow
Post edited at 20:57
 Oogachooga 26 May 2015
In reply to hands solo:

2nd that our vans a 93 transit motorhome. Such a workhorse and the engines a peach to work on. Still, doesn't do much over 65 due to the weight and 70hp engine.

Horses for courses, I can see why people pay extra for a vw. They are pretty trendy.
 Ciro 26 May 2015
In reply to AlexBush:

The sevel vans (Boxer/Relay/Ducato) are wider and squarer in the back than most other vans, which was the deciding factor for me. Being on the short side, I was able to fit a transverse bed.

jonnie3430 26 May 2015

We were looking at a van, but decided to divide the cost of one by the cost of an average night in a B&B and chose to keep the car and use B&B's...
 Mark Eddy 26 May 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

My thoughts too.
Vans are crap to drive, noisy, and many are un-economical. Sleeping in one when it's raining is pretty rubbish too. B&B all the way, proper bed, someone else cooks breakfast, and it all costs about the same.
 jonnie3430 26 May 2015
In reply to A Mountain Journey:

>, and it all costs about the same.

We worked it out at less than a quarter of the price. Have bought a motorbike as well and spent the first climbing weekend away on Mull last month. Bike was great for getting up the A82, B&B room an unaccustomed delight!
 dan gibson 27 May 2015

I know a couple of people who can't afford to go away climbing because their vans are too expensive to run.
All the gear and no idea springs to mind. Hey it must look cool sitting on the driveway though.
 mike123 27 May 2015
You should have read the daily mash for inspiration
http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/society/camper-van-gives-illusion-of-fre...
 chris_B 27 May 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

Cost comes into it but that isn't really the point here.

B&B's require booking/planning. With a van you don't have to decide where you're going until you're on the road. I.e. the freedom of camping but without the wet tent to dry out at the end of the weekend/holiday.

For the full effect you need a pop top (so you can stand up) and a kitchen, then you'll 'get it'.
 Mark Eddy 27 May 2015
In reply to chris_B:

That's a good point and a definite advantage of a van. Although it doesn't solve the problem of wet kit after a damp day in the hills / at the crag.
 jonnie3430 27 May 2015
In reply to chris_B:

> Cost comes into it but that isn't really the point here.

> B&B's require booking/planning. With a van you don't have to decide where you're going until you're on the road. I.e. the freedom of camping but without the wet tent to dry out at the end of the weekend/holiday.

I think you'll find that there are quiet a few B&B's about, they usually advertise with a sign on the road that says "vacancies/ no vacancies," so it's easy to spot the empty ones. If you want to book, the internet is really handy these days, you can decide on the Thursday when you check the weather and book too. I'm a people person too, so quite like the contact with someone local to the area as well, instead of tucking myself away in a lay by.

Regarding freedom; I was at Beinn a Bhuird at the weekend, and hope to get into Carnmore and spend a couple of days below Beinn Eighe and at the tip of Reiff next week, good luck doing that in your camper. I've slept in the car in winter a few times as well and find it cold compared to a decent tent.

> For the full effect you need a pop top (so you can stand up) and a kitchen, then you'll 'get it'.

I have a stand up kitchen in the flat, so think I 'have it.' What gets me most though is why people try to convert a van and put up with loads of bodges, when motorhomes are designed for people to live in yet are scoffed at by the van types: They are made for it!!!!

Exile 27 May 2015

I think it's fair to say you either get vans or you don't. We've got one, are in Scotland now with our kids and what we've done this week already wouldn't have been possible without it. My eldest (now 10) won't want to come away on holiday with us in 5 / 6 years time so it's all money well spent from our perspective.
 AlexBush 27 May 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:
> What gets me most though is why people try to convert a van and put up with loads of bodges, when motorhomes are designed for people to live in yet are scoffed at by the van types: They are made for it!!!!

Most motorhomes start life as a van and just have a company rebuild them. There is no reason they have to be full of 'bodges'. I've seen plenty of great vans, built in peoples garages to their own specifications, with all the mod cons of the expensive professional conversions.
Post edited at 09:27
 Theo Moore 27 May 2015

Great idea for a set of articles. Perhaps it's a bit cheeky, but could you ask "How much did your van cost to buy and set up?" and "How much does it cost to run?" or something like that, as that's one of the major factors in deciding on whether or not to get a van, and which van to get.

AlexBush 27 May 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:
> We were looking at a van, but decided to divide the cost of one by the cost of an average night in a B&B and chose to keep the car and use B&B's...

I can see how this would be the case if you were keeping a car to run alongside a camper, but not if you were running the van as an everyday vehicle.

If a B&B costs £30 a night, for 2 nights twice a month, you're looking at about a grand and a half over a year. Even with the added fuel and higher insurance, you'd struggle to get close to that.

You can also cook your own meals which will save money. You also have the benefit of sleeping exactly where you want i.e. in the car park next to the crag.
Post edited at 09:47
 Gael Force 27 May 2015
In reply to AlexBush:
Your missing the campsite costs for vans from your calculation which can be high, unless your van has a toilet and shower. I'm not too bothered about that but my partner,being a girly climber, really does prefer a proper loo and a shower.
Unless you spend a fortune on a newish van fuel costs are high, I like some comfort after a day on the crag.
I've just come back from France, off season it was pretty cheap, flights £60 return to Geneva including hold bags, Gite £150 for a week, hire car £110.
Also the danger of leaving vans unattended is significant in some places.
Many areas have large signs with no campers now.
Did consider the van option but decided it was too expensive...and inconvenient.
I do see their point for long extended summer trips though, but pretty cold in winter if you go for the season like me.
Post edited at 10:11
 Robin Woodward 27 May 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:
I think there's two different breeds of van lovers. One have it as a luxury and the other as a 'lifestyle' (although I'd hate to put myself in the latter bracket, it's almost true). I have a very basic van (£3,500 for a T4 Syncro 100,000 miles ago), with just an easily removable bed platform and double mattress (and space for all the gear I'd need underneath). Its currently at 255,000 miles and starts first time, and MOT's for 40 nights a year (guessing at £50 a night (for 2 outside Scotland) for a B&B, it's paid for itself in 2 years)
-Take it summer/winter climbing, surfing, cycling etc. with space for whatever
-It happily drives to Norway or the Alps and is comfortable in -20 and + 30 (changing between one of 3 bedding options)
-Means I can drive to Scotland from Salisbury after work, turn up at the base of Ben Nevis at 2 am and start on my route at 8 am, or climb on Skye until 11 pm and just crash after the walk out
-You get to park in amazing places and see sunrises and wilderness in comfort before exploring it
-I hate tents.

and life:
-I use it for work
-Used to gig and tour in it
-Gets 35 mpg
-Goes most places (ground clearance and suspension being the limiting factor)
-Use it to move house
-Drive it daily

For me, when I need to dry kit, or want a shower (my main reason for seeking civilization) I head to a campsite for a night and the cost is just like having a B&B somewhere a bit nicer.

The knowledge that the van is packed and ready to go wherever the weather is good at any time, is proper freedom for me, and means you generally never have to forgo things when money is a bit tight (if I can't afford the fuel to go 300 miles, I can just go 50).
Post edited at 10:13
 Mark Eddy 27 May 2015
In reply to AlexBush:

I was over in Ennerdale last week and had planned on 1 night sleeping in the car and 1 night at Black Sail yha. At the last minute and due to a wet forecast, I decided to book into a B&B in Ennerdale Bridge.
This took all of about 15 minutes to sort out, so easy.
It was a little more than i'd have wanted to spend, but here's what I got:
Grandstand views of Ennerdale Water from the en-suite bedroom;
Tea on arrival;
Use of the whole house (and what a house);
A B&B owner with masses of local knowledge having grown up in the area;
A lift to and from the pub that evening;
An invite to their friends house later that evening;
Delicious cooked breakfast;
Secure parking whilst I was away at Black Sail the following night.

All in all, a very good deal.

The van definitely has its place, but is a more 'roughing it' option in most cases. Can sometimes be more convenient, but claiming them to cheaper just isn't the case once all costs are considered. As for parking at the crag, can't think of a time i've ever wanted to park at a crag, not that there's many car parks next to crags anyway, or is it just the crags i visit?

Vans - good for some, not for others.....
 gribble 27 May 2015

It seems vans aren't for everyone, which is fair enough. I've camped for many years (and i love it!), I'm a member of the CC so can use the huts, but I do love my van. It's a Renault Master (2001) SWB hospital transport base, so windows all round. Great views everywhere any time. It's tall enough for me to stand without my head touching the ceiling. It's been fitted out by me with kitchen, 3 beds, superb stereo, great lighting, much comfort, total blackout in both sections of the van (front and back) which means my daughter can sleep in the front completely isolated from us in the back. There ae no bodges going on here, and it has a high level of comfort!

All this for £4,000. That's buying the van, kitting and fitting and full service etc to get it up to good spec. And it has a similar resale value, unlike B&Bs. It is used for one night trips, weekends and long touring. It is a family van too, and we all love it. It is a happy van!

We can wild camp or use a cheapy site, and often we park in pub car parks (with permission). We've never been moved on from anywhere. It is a source of great freedom and allows total spontaneity.

So we have a van that we like to use, and it has been seen by several others who now also want a van. It's not a motorhome, it's not a VW (crampervan), it is a very useable facility. Feel free to come and have a look at it, you will want one too.

Graham
 nathan79 27 May 2015

Being the proud possessor of a Berlingo with an Amdro kit I'm a convert to vans. Joys of camping without having to pack away a wet tent. Tent hasn't been retired though.

B&B no thank you. Don't like them one bit. Feels too much like I'm in someone's house, usually with the decor of a pensioner's bungalow, where I can't help myself from the fridge! Happy to hostel though.
 Bulls Crack 27 May 2015

This conversion doesn't have a cooker inside I take it?

I'm tempted to look into a van but wonder the reality and practicality of it all. It often seems they end up staying in car-parks or the bits of campsites that look like car-parks.
 AlexBush 27 May 2015
In reply to nathan79:

Agree with the feeling like you're in someone else's house!

> A lift to and from the pub that evening

Did you go to the pub with the hundreds of types of whisky in Eskdale? That place is dangerous!!

I agree it's each to their own. I'm not a stranger to a bit of roughing it on an outdoorsy weekend, so a camper seems like luxury to me! Apposed to a B&B, I'd rather park outside a pub (every pub we have asked in the past has been happy for us to stay in the car park if we had a meal and couple of beers). I have always left a car somewhere while I climbed, either in a car park or lay-by and wouldn't have a problem setting up there if I were allowed.

I'm not really sure how it wouldn't be cheaper? Considered what costs?
 Robert Durran 27 May 2015
In reply to nathan79:

> B&B no thank you. Don't like them one bit.

Absolutely; silly amount of money to be severed from the outdoors in an awkward environment. Bunkhouses, hostels and most campsites also seem a complete rip off to me; just paying for facilities I don't need (the only exception maybe being a drying room in winter, but that is solved for weekends by investing in two complete sets of clothing). If money were no object, I'd have a van for the convenience of being able to spend the night almost anywhere for free, but an estate car and a tent does the job pretty well.
 quirky 27 May 2015
In reply to Robert Durran:

Me and my mrs have had a van since we got together many moons ago (i had one before we met). We have taken most holidays away in one and been to some truly wonderful wild camping spots. On our 5th van now which is a 20 year old motorhome, transit based, and is just perfect for us and out two young children. Typing this whilst sat in "minty" having spent the last two nights toasting marshmallows over campfires on beaches. To me it is a lifestyle and the type, age, layout of the van is secondary, we have many trips away every year in the UK and France as well as lots of weekends away. It has paid for itself is money saved on flights, accommodation and meals out (for 4 of us) but again this is also incidental. 2 nights ago, sat with a glass of wine, looking out over the sea my wife asked me, "if you could swap this spot and the van for any place, any hotel in the world....would you?". Guess what my answer was? And it is the same every time it is asked. Campers, motorhomes, day vans, call them what you will, not for everyone i agree.....but definitely for me!!!
 Sharp 27 May 2015

Funny how this has turned into a van vs. B n b thread. I guess each to their own and vans don't suit everyone but as a few have mentioned it's not really about the money. I've just come back from a couple of trips with the lady, week on islay/
Jura and weekend in buttermere, we've stripped the back of my Subaru outback and fitted low profile seats and a fold out bed and although we'd both have liked the comfort of a van comfort levels were fine and especially in the islands we woke up in some inedible places. It's great getting back to the car and getting a brew on instead of having to drive off (there's plenty places in Scotland where you're more than an hour's drive away from anywhere you could stay and good luck in winter if you're further north than the southern highlands), it's great not having to plan anything and knowing your home wherever you are and there's nothing like waking up in the middle of nowhere. having a 4x4 car or van can get you to some pretty cool spots as well, unfortunately 4x4 vans carry quite a premium.

As someone else mentioned using b & bs in winter is a total waste of money, getting in at midnight then leaving again at 5am, no thanks. Pull up, get you're head down and wake up in location. A week of rain is pretty grim but in 5 years sleeping in the car when winter climbing I've had one week where the wetness got to me and i didn't die I was just being soft, 90% of the time it's not even an issue.

Vans are luxury, compared to a tent, compared to a car, compared to how most people lived even in this country not that long ago, compared to how most people live around the world and especially compared to how climbers used to find their digs. don't get the whole deal with anyone who thinks sleeping in a van is anything other than comfortable.
 Gael Force 27 May 2015
In reply to Sharp:
I think the point is if your climbing with a female many do not like going behind a bush for the loo or not having shower facilities.
I can think of other activities not particularly appealing in a tent...I can only presume most of the single van dwellers lead a rather solitary life.
Not much fun in winter either.
The cost of buying a decent one is ridiculously extorionate.
Also camper vans are almost as annoying as caravans on the road...especially up norf on narrow roads...
Each to his own of course.
As for tents, I think the tent dwellers are highly amusing when the midgies start...not to say I haven't done my share of campaign in Scotland in winter or summer, but can't be arsed now.
Post edited at 13:30
 Ramon Marin 27 May 2015

I think VW are over-hyped too. I'm not an expert, but I don't understand why a 100k T5 would cost you £10k, when I bought a mint fully converted Movano with 62k on the clock for £6.5k. It just doesn't make sense. Yes of course, something might go wrong in mine, but so far we've clocked 20k in a year and it goes like a dream. Most of my friends have Transporters (expect Ciro in this forum) and they all had serious problems. But hey, whatever floats your boat. For me a van it's just a means to go climbing, a box with 4 wheels and a comfy full double fix double bed, it doesn't need to be cool or be "pimped out".
 BruceM 27 May 2015

Looking forward to the rest of this series. Hope it includes some small vans too.

Most importantly, the most useful item in a van is a toilet! Do any have some?

We spend most weekends here, and a month or more at a time in Europe, in our small camper car: a Ford Fusion named "Bluey". He has a big foam mattress in the back permanently and is more comfy than our bed at home. Very cosy. Very practical for getting almost anywhere. Over Xmas we camped in Bluey in the middle of Cannes. One of the main reasons we might think of expanding up to a Ford Connect size small van (only years down the track when Bluey has had enough - don't tell him!) is to whack a portaloo in there at the back under the bed platform.

Would love to hear or see the results of anything similar.

Judging from the popularity of this thread and some messages I've had sent in, it seems as though people like talking about their vans! If anyone is keen to write about their van then send me an email and it *might* get featured!
 Ciro 27 May 2015
In reply to Gael Force:

Whilst there's definitely a lot more single guys on the road, having met single girls living out of the back of a Skoda hatchback, Golf estate, and a couple of people carriers in Spain this winter, not to mention all those in vans, I can confirm it's not entirely doom and gloom... there's more girls prepared to rough it for an adventure than you expect
 Mark Eddy 27 May 2015
In reply to AlexBush:

It was Ennerdale where I stayed and thankfully didn't get onto the Whiskey!

Costs: Initial purchase price; tax; insurance; MOT; servicing; high fuel bills - to name a few.

As mentioned by others, a good compromise is a decent estate car. Comfy, normal to drive, easy to park, still able to sleep in it.
I've considered a van a few times over the years, but enjoy driving too much to put up with one. Who knows though...
 JJL 27 May 2015

Another compromise is to hire for the trip:
http://www.affordablevanconversions.co.uk/motorhome_hire.php

Although, it seems to me that for £700-odd in high season you can get a decent 2-person cottage...
Pinkelephant 27 May 2015
In reply to Gael Force:

> I think the point is if your climbing with a female many do not like going behind a bush for the loo or not having shower facilities.

sorry, but that is sexist rubbish.
 Bulls Crack 27 May 2015
In reply to Sharp:

Yes odd in a way its vans v B nB's. Vans v self-catering or camping maybe
 jonnie3430 28 May 2015
In reply to Bulls Crack:

> Yes odd in a way its vans v B nB's. Vans v self-catering or camping maybe

Sorry, I started the b&b chart off. We normally wild camp around Scotland but wanted to figure out what else we could get instead of a van, b&b's were chosen and when we realised that we could get 150 nights in a b&b for the price we were looking at vans, we decided to treat ourselves more. A bit lost in explanation really...
 pebbles 28 May 2015
In reply to gribble:
thats not a van, thats a four star hotel! must be huge!!!!!
I'm at the opposite end of the scale, got a teeny berlingo with just a basic bed platform and storage underneath. but it parks most places and does 54 to the gallon so I can still afford to run it. I'v found it makes going away at weekends so much easier than the full tent etc hassle (if camping) plus compared with a hut its possible to get a good nights sleep without snoring companions and stuffy dorms. overall effect is that I now get away most weekends rather than about once a month . downside is you cant cram it with climbers to share costs for long journeys, but you could get round that if you wanted by paying more for a proper converting seat/bed. Anyway I'v had it for six months now and love it, cant see me looking back.
Post edited at 10:08
 planetmarshall 28 May 2015
In reply to Natalie Berry - UKC:
Drop Marianne van der Steen and Dennis Hoek a message, they've been touring Europe in their van including Scottish Winter and the BMC Trad meet this year. Rumour has it they visit Macdonalds but only for the free wifi...

https://www.facebook.com/Climbuz?fref=ts
Post edited at 11:44
 Robert Durran 28 May 2015
In reply to pebbles:

> I'm at the opposite end of the scale, got a teeny berlingo with just a basic bed platform and storage underneath....... its possible to get a good nights sleep................downside is you cant cram it with climbers to share costs for long journeys.

An estate car is very versatile. I can fill it with people and sleep in the back if the roadside camping is poor/wet/midgy (needs shoving the kit in the front seats but it only takes minutes). With only two people I remove back of rear seats to make more room.

Jesamine 28 May 2015
Second the estate car.
Mulled over a van for a few years now, but having just spent the savings on a few months on the other side of the world and an estate car for when we got back, I have no regrets on the compromise!
Could never really justify the initial outlay and ongoing financial costs, plus having such a big vehicle for leisure bothered me a bit environmentally. Teeny weeny drop in the ocean in reality I know, but still. The car does the same mpg, but with a smaller engine/lighter vehicle to most vans which I assume would add up over big distances.

We have a tent in the back for fine weather days (not so many here in Norway lately!) and long walk-ins.
Bouldering mat down over the seats and boot, gear in the front, spacious "storage" footwells and it works fine rain, snow, occasional sun! My partner is 6 foot 4 btw, and has no problem with car living

Maybe a few more bad springs will change our minds though!

I'm on the more luxurious end of the van scale with a professionally converted LWB T5.1 to my name. Sleeps four with all the toys: diesel heater, hot water, oven, fridge freezer. It's been great for Scottish Winter and Alpine trips and surprisingly useful for visiting friends and kipping on their drives. There's no way I'd trade the flexibility for stopping in B&B's.
 Misha 28 May 2015
Interesting discussion. Though have to say I'd never consider b&b for weekends. Too expensive and inflexible - depending where I'm going I might not turn up there till midnight.

Wondering whether a minivan is a good compromise. Better MPG, easier to drive and park, cheaper to buy, obviously less space but good enough to sleep in and more space and shelter than an average tent. Plus could get that tent extension kit that Rob Greenwood reviewed here a short while back.
 Misha 28 May 2015
In reply to highaltitudebarista:
Yes I think your van is like the Ritz!

Wee Davie 29 May 2015
In reply to jonnie3430:

Dude, I give you 120% credit for trying to argue motorbikes are more practical than vans! Bikes are great fun but fuxake they are not practical? And yes I've ridden bikes through Scottish Winters.
That is all.
 Sharp 29 May 2015
In reply to Gael Force:
> I think the point is if your climbing with a female many do not like going behind a bush for the loo or not having shower facilities.

> I can think of other activities not particularly appealing in a tent...I can only presume most of the single van dwellers lead a rather solitary life.

> Not much fun in winter either.

Like I said each to their own, me and the missus keep a shovel in the roof box for the "other activities" and find it rather refreshing to bare all over a considerately placed pit, the wind gently whisping past your cheeks as you release your load in front of a scenic vista. One must always hum a melancholic tune as you set fire to the loo roll and stare whistfully into the distance, a personal favourite of mine is the opening lines of Brothers in Arms by Dire Straits and a salute before shoveling the soil back over the ashes.

Agreed it's no fun getting up to piss in the wind on a rainy night if you're a lass but there are plenty who manage it, if you can manage periods and child birth then I imagine a quick piss behind a bush is pretty tame in comparrison.

There are those that say camping isn't much fun in winter, or balk at the idea of long distance cyclists, think people who crack the portaledge out on El Cap are crazy, people travelling through the arctic etc. etc. Sleeping in the car in winter is pretty cosy imo, not compared to a hotel but I've got a bed at home. As you say, each to their own
Post edited at 09:50
 JD84 29 May 2015

Pics of everyone's vans please! Thanks.

Jon
 pebbles 29 May 2015
In reply to Sharp:

> Agreed it's no fun getting up to piss in the wind on a rainy night if you're a lass but there are plenty who manage it, if you can manage periods and child birth then I imagine a quick piss behind a bush is pretty tame in comparrison.

Four words. Nalgene bottle. sheewee. sorted.
 Misha 29 May 2015
In reply to Sharp:

The think the reference to other activities wasn't anything involving shovels...
 BruceW 30 May 2015

Just seen this as we have been off wifi for a few days. Am currently living in a van with my wife and we are 7 months into a 2 year trip round Latin America. It was not particularly cheap to convert in the first place but it does mean the we rarely need to find accommodation here. Indeed, Patagonia is an amazing place for wild camping Scanning the posts above - no toilet inside, we have a gas canister and stove rings for cooking (can be used inside and out) and photos of our conversion can be found at http://yellowvandays.com/2014/12/15/about-the-yellow-van-part-2-fitting-kit... VW was not our first choice but sourcing a LHD D4D hiace that was in good nick proved to be very difficult!

Looking forward to seeing what other people have done with their vans...
 BruceW 30 May 2015

Just seen this as we have been off wifi for a few days. Am currently living in a van with my wife and we are 7 months into a 2 year trip round Latin America. It was not particularly cheap to convert in the first place but it does mean the we rarely need to find accommodation here. Indeed, Patagonia is an amazing place for wild camping Scanning the posts above - no toilet inside, we have a gas canister and stove rings for cooking (can be used inside and out) and photos of our conversion can be found at http://yellowvandays.com/2014/12/15/about-the-yellow-van-part-2-fitting-kit... VW was not our first choice but sourcing a LHD D4D hiace that was in good nick proved to be very difficult!

Looking forward to seeing what other people have done with their vans...
 Charlie Evans 30 May 2015

I'm planning a heated, vented drying space for wet or icy gear, underneath a fixed bed, using a diesel heater (Eberspacher D2). The walls are silly-insulated, the heater and vent are in place, gotta build the bed.
baron 30 May 2015
We've had various makes of van for over twenty years but also camp, bivvy, stay in hostels, B and B and hotels. Being of advancing years and having been lucky enough to have earned a few bob over the years we also own several cars and motorbikes. A van isn't an 'only' vehicle for many people, it's another addition to an already luxurious (by many people's experience) lifestyle. Friends of ours spent £45,000 on their van and it suits them but that's many hundreds of nights in a hotel so it could be hard to justify that level of expenditure. Would I spend that much on a van? Maybe. I haven't spent more than £9,000 on a van so far and while this is a fortune to some people it isn't to others.
Next time you drive along the motorway you can count the number of motorhomes, there's an awful lot of them so there must be an attraction for some people.
Meanwhile I'll stick with my overpriced, slow, thirsty VW T4 - but at least I'm cool

Pmc

Jamie Hageman 30 May 2015
In reply to hands solo:

> live for adventure live to fist

each to their own I suppose
 Mr Trebus 31 May 2015
In reply to pebbles:

> Four words. Nalgene bottle. sheewee. sorted.

Get you posho with a Nalgene bottle, milk bottle all the way, it even has a handle. 😀
 pebbles 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Mr Trebus:

milk bottles leak...
 Lord_ash2000 12 Jun 2015
In reply to

We've got a VW T4, 888 Special, fully converted with 85k miles on it. Been to Sweden and the south of France and Scotland in it this year.

They are expensive, I think ours cost £13.5k for a 2003 model but they also hold their value well, we could so 50k miles in it over the next couple of years and I reckon we'd still sell it for £12k 'ish

So when you look at it that way, they aren't that expensive you just need a lot of capital tied up for a bit. It is a little bit thirsty being the 2.5l engine but at least it'll happily cruise at 80mph on euro motorways. As we only use it for holidays really it's not a huge fuel cost issue.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...