UKC

Any GoPro's in the room?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Lemming 27 May 2015
My head is spinning from reading so many reviews on different action-cams that I am now getting confused.

Any GoPro users in the room able to offer some pro's and con's on their devices?

And more importantly, are there actually any other action-cams that can compete with the market leader?
 koolkat 27 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:
if your getting the gopro get the silver the black is overspecked unless you have a 4k tv to view on and a powerfull pc to edit will also eat loads of memory , there are plenty of alternatives I have a gopro and contour and veho the contour is easiest to use but wont do pics and video at same time the veho should do but still getting use to it , think about what you want to use it for there are drift , polaroid , contour , garmin , and many more out there ,
my contour now cost £100 and if all you want is video its my goto camera the quality is great on all of them
here is a link to my videos shot with a variaty of the cameras
https://www.youtube.com/user/iamkoolkat/videos?flow=grid&view=0
Post edited at 18:23
 london_huddy 27 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I struggle with battery life when wifi control is on but other than that, great video, lots of options and handles flare reasonably well.
OP The Lemming 27 May 2015
In reply to london_huddy:

In the real world, how long does a battery last?
 london_huddy 27 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

The problem that I have is that it's unpredictable. Admittedly, I only really use mine in the snow but I can get a day out of a battery is I'm careful. If I'm not and I've got the wifi on, have it on stand-by all the time and am using the remote, I'll need a couple of batteries to get me through the day.

Bob 27 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

If you get a GoPro then get lots of batteries. Then get some more!

I got a GoPro 4 for my birthday. I don't have any other video cameras to compare it with so just a few comments.

Get the app to make setting up easier - for biking having the live video feed to your phone makes getting the angle to point the camera much easier.
Get a quality memory card of at least the recommended recording speed
Figure out what resolution and aspect ratio you want to end up with. Typically the higher the resolution you want then the slower the top frame rate you get, so you might get 120fps at 720p but only 60fps at 1080p.
Get a powerful computer - video editing is very intensive, you need a beefy processor, lots of memory and a fast drive, possibly an SSD.
A continuous shot is unlikely to be interesting so you need to do some editing.
Get more batteries.

Hard to say what the battery life is since I don't record continuously, I set the camera up for one-touch start and stop and record a minute or two at a time. The camera is effectively on standby. Doing it this way and not using WiFi I'll get anywhere from half to a full day though I'll turn the camera off when I know I'm not intending to film.
 balmybaldwin 27 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

If you are pushed for budget, consider a go pro 3 (silver) or 3+ rather than the 4 as it's still a bloody good camera and still works with the apps etc. what it doesn't have is a screen (but it's Ok because you can view on your phone via wifi)

Best thing is the number of different mounts and accessories etc. (although I have had issues with cheaper bundled china special mounts breaking), 2 batteries and a charger will cost you £20 on e of bay.

A great piece of kit what ever you go for.

However, If I were in the market for a new action cam I would wait and see what contour bring out in the next 6 months. The Roam2 is excellent, and still my main cam (I use the go-pro for gimbals mainly) I know the Roam3 is not a significant upgrade, but since their phoenix act it's a starting point only, and they are expected to bring out a "gopro beater" or at least proper competition later in the year - and it doesn't look so stupid on your head!
 Kieran_John 27 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I've a Gopro 2, it's getting on a bit now but still pretty good, quality is great. Battery life I can get about two to three hours of continual recording before a charge. It's simple and that's all I need it to be.

There's no need for a super powerful pc for editing nowadays, practically anything over five years old will do just fine, you might just have to be a little patient whilst it renders when you're done. I've edited fine on a pretty old rig (core 2 duo, 4gb ram), even my 2008 macbook does a pretty good job with Adobe premiere.
OP The Lemming 27 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Thanks everybody for the replies.

So, from all your comments, the only negative aspect is the battery life?
Batteries can be replaced.

My Mobius is great however once the battery dies then I'm left with a paperweight till I get home to charge the camera again.

Any of you able to comment on the GoPro's finished video's compared to any other brand of action-cam's that you may possess or have access to?
 london_huddy 28 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I've been blown away by the go pro. I'm not too much of a pixel snob but the fact that it's the de facto production-quality standard does for me: this is as much down to its versatility as anything. Other camera might be better in wonderful bright, even light (e.g. the Sony offerings) but they'll suck in the gloom of a blizzard or at dusk.

Go for the GoPro.
 mr mills 29 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

I have a GoPro 3+ black with loads of accessories for sale if anybody`s interested !
 Dax H 29 May 2015
In reply to mr mills:

What you looking at for it and what extras?
Hairyweasel@googlemail.com can you drop me a mail with the details.
OP The Lemming 29 May 2015
In reply to The Lemming:

Anybody know where I could get a good tripod mount from?
In reply to The Lemming:

I use an SJ4000 basically the same as a gopro in size etc and fits all the gopro mounts.

Pluses:
It comes with nearly every mount you could ever use
Any extra mounts or accessories etc are dirt cheap
it floats unlike the gopro (you have to buy an extra floaty thing)

The PRICE !!! google it and you will see

I really rate it for just chucking around and getting action shots I dont expect amazing photo/video when taking action shots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...