UKC

attaching climbing holds to stone wall.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Phil Payne 27 May 2015
I'm building a little traversing wall in my garden for the kids and am having some difficulty in attaching the holds to the wall. The wall is about 3 foot thick and really solid, but appears to be built from some sort of quite soft limestone. I bought a pack of holds that came with some expansion bolts, but they're fairly short and the force of hammering them is causing some of the stones to crack.

Does anyone know of somewhere where I can get hold of some longer internally threaded (for m10) glue in bolts? Failing that, has anyone else found a better way of attaching holds to stone walls? I'm tempted to bore some 40mm holes about 6 inches deep and then cement the expansion bolts in place, but not sure how well that will work and it will be a lot of effort drilling all the holes.
 Fraser 27 May 2015
In reply to Phil Payne:

My suggestion would be to frame it out then screw on some marine ply sheets; it'll be way easier than trying to fix individual holds and will give you more flexibility.
 stuartholmes 27 May 2015
In reply to Phil Payne:

I think EP sell resin in anchor sleeves but maybe try screw fix. But for ease of move ability Fraser is right go for some marine ply.
 jkarran 28 May 2015
In reply to Phil Payne:

You'll have problems tightening the holds down on uneven surfaces. Too tight and they'll crack, too lose and they'll spin. You can probably get or make rubber backing pads but the ply is a better solution.

jk
Phil Payne 29 May 2015
In reply to zoobizooretta:

I did look at the hilti stuff, but it woukd cost thousands to cover my wall with those fixings. I know that covering the wall in plywood is the easiest option, but the wall is a nice feature in the garden and it would be a shame to do that. I've uploaded a photo of it to my ukc account (awaiting approval) so you can have a look at what I'm dealing with.

The holds on the wall are held with expansion bolts and seem fairly solid, but the mini jugs just exert too much force and crack the rock. I'm chisseling the rocks flat behind the holds so that they're attached to a flat surface.
 blurty 29 May 2015
In reply to Phil Payne:

These work well in friable sub-strates (I.e. soft walling stone!)

http://www.toolfastdirect.co.uk/acatalog/Rawlnuts.html

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...