UKC

What Are the Differences Between a Hybrid and a Road Bike?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
goodbikegear 28 May 2015
Biking is a fun activity and a way to delight in your surroundings. It is also an inexpensive form of travel. The hybrid and road bikes are awesome types of bikes .
 Fredt 28 May 2015
In reply to goodbikegear:

A hybrid is mix of two animals or plants of different breeds, varieties, species or genera. Using genetics terminology, it may be defined as follows:
In general usage, hybrid is synonymous with heterozygous: any offspring resulting from the breeding of two genetically distinct individuals
A genetic hybrid carries two different alleles of the same gene
A structural hybrid results from the fusion of gametes that have differing structure in at least one chromosome, as a result of structural abnormalities
A numerical hybrid results from the fusion of gametes having different haploid numbers of chromosomes
A permanent hybrid is a situation where only the heterozygous genotype occurs, because all homozygous combinations are lethal.

Whereas a road bike is type of bicycle.
 Marek 28 May 2015
In reply to Fredt:

So that implies that a hybrid bike is perhaps a new type of hybrid - a 'temporary' hybrid - since in contrast to a permanent hybrid, heterozygosity is lethal (e.g., handlebars with a drop on the left and flat on the right) and homozygosity (both dropped or both flat) is tolerable?
 ti_pin_man 28 May 2015

mainly it is the riders position that is different, the hybrid bikes usually are more upright in position, more relaxed and more for cruising around town. Thats not to say they cant be ridden like race whippet road bikes but they also tend to be heavier and more stable.
Rigid Raider 28 May 2015

I think I'm right in saying that many manufacturers' hybrids are nothing more than a road bike fitted with flat bars, which makes them fast but less daunting to some riders.
 LastBoyScout 28 May 2015
In reply to Rigid Raider:

> I think I'm right in saying that many manufacturers' hybrids are nothing more than a road bike fitted with flat bars, which makes them fast but less daunting to some riders.

I bought a hybrid earlier this year, expecting exactly that. What I found is that (for the one I bought) it's more of a mountain bike with skinny tyres.
 Mr Trebus 28 May 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> I bought a hybrid earlier this year, expecting exactly that. What I found is that (for the one I bought) it's more of a mountain bike with skinny tyres.

That is what my marin muirwood is.
 toad 28 May 2015

I like horses. Best of all the animals.
 cander 28 May 2015
In reply to toad:

Dogs are better IMO
 RobertHepburn 28 May 2015
The main real difference is the frame clearance for the wheels:
Road bikes can only take skinny wheels but the frame is small and light.
Mountain bikes can take wide wheels (and thus tyres) but the frame is a bit heavier.
Hybrids are in-between the two.

There is generally a difference in riding position, but these can be easily changed with different handlebars/stems etc.

Personally I would get a mountain bike and fit slicks rather than go for a hybrid - if you can lock out the front fork you would barely notice the difference. If you really need road speed though then a road bike is the only way to go, although I did once keep up with a Reading Road Club ride (about 20mph on the flat) on a mountain bike with slicks back when I was young ...
 LastBoyScout 28 May 2015
In reply to RobertHepburn:

> The main real difference is the frame clearance for the wheels:
> Hybrids are in-between the two.

My main gripe with my hybrid is tyre clearance. It came with 700x28c road tyres. I'd like to be able to put cyclocross knobblies on it to make it more versatile and there is plenty of clearance to do so in the forks and seat stays, but no room in the chainstays, which to my mind is a design flaw, for the minimal difference it would make to handling.

> Personally I would get a mountain bike and fit slicks rather than go for a hybrid

I needed something to put a bike seat on for my daughter - original plan of putting slicks on a mountain bike was derailed by the top-pull front mech being incompatible with the clamp.
 Mike Stretford 28 May 2015
In reply to goodbikegear: 'Hybrids' are like what bikes used to be like before they split into racers and mtbs.

KevinD 28 May 2015
In reply to LastBoyScout:

> I bought a hybrid earlier this year, expecting exactly that.

Its a fairly meaningless term since it covers so many variations. Wouldnt be surprised if they start acquiring specific names. Not surprising given that mountain bikes and road bikes split into multiple categories themselves.
 AlisonSmiles 28 May 2015
In reply to RobertHepburn:

My hybrid had different gears to either. Also had all the attachment points for panniers, mudguards etc. etc.
Removed User 28 May 2015
In reply to toad:

> I like horses. Best of all the animals.

Doesn't really count as a hybrid, though. How do you feel about mules?
 Dauphin 28 May 2015

One of the two types of bicycle is ridden by Legends. The other just used to be called 'a bicycle'.

Maybe this site can help you decide.

http://bigringriding.com/

D
 toad 28 May 2015
In reply to Removed UserBwox:

have to be careful not to make an ass of myself.

PS Am I alone in finding the OP very odd?
 The New NickB 28 May 2015
In reply to toad:

> PS Am I alone in finding the OP very odd?

No.
KevinD 28 May 2015
In reply to toad:

> PS Am I alone in finding the OP very odd?

i did think it was spam. Has that style to it but minus the links,
Perhaps they are leaving it for a bit before following up with the spam link or just messed it up.
 Dauphin 28 May 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

Written /constructed by a spambot.

D
KevinD 28 May 2015
In reply to AlisonSmiles:

> My hybrid had different gears to either. Also had all the attachment points for panniers, mudguards etc. etc.

Ah but does that mean its closer to a road bike of the touring flavour?
Which seemed to be most of the 700 wheel size ones in the past although there now seems to be more road (as in race) bikes with flat bars available now.
 deepsoup 28 May 2015
In reply to The New NickB:
It's just a spam-bot having a punt at a Turing test. (Too early to tell, could go either way.) ;O)
 wercat 28 May 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

I thought the first 2 posts looked like software talking to software
KevinD 28 May 2015
In reply to wercat:
> (In reply to deepsoup)
>
> I thought the first 2 posts looked like software talking to software

nah second one was Fredt just taking the piss and copying and pasting from somewhere (looks like wiki)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...