UKC

NEWS: Divine Moments of Truth: New E10 by Franco Cookson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 01 Jun 2015
Franco Cookson on the first ascent of  Psykovsky's Sequins (E10 7a), 4 kbAccording to the UKC logbooks, a new E10 named Divine Moments of Truth has been established by Franco Cookson at Kay Nest, North Yorkshire.

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69757
 Owen W-G 01 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome. Well done Franco for flying the flag for the Moors.
 Wft 01 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Kay Nest now holds an 8B+ boulder problem and an E10 trad route, where else can say that?
In reply to UKC News: ...and Andy Farnell has (perhaps predictably) provided incontrovertible evidence that he's a bitter and tragic old fool who can't accept that Franco might be a half decent climber.

http://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/t.php?n=616997&v=1

aldo56 01 Jun 2015
In reply to GuyVG:

Dumbarton Rock of course!
 JR 01 Jun 2015
In reply to GuyVG:

Burbage North before The Promise (E8 7a) got downgraded. Maybe this one will stand the test of time better...?
 Wft 01 Jun 2015
In reply to aldo56:

Very true, though i'm not sure Dave will be happy with you downgrading Rhapsody
 SenzuBean 01 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

What a route...! I do wonder how he made sure the skyhook stayed put though - wedged? lots of praying and crossed fingers? blu-tack?
 peewee2008 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Frank the Husky:

Can't recall Andy saying Franco isn't a decent climber.....
In reply to peewee2008:
No but we can all recall him banging on and on about Franco not being in a position to claim he's a decent climber (FA E10) without repeating various established routes publicly. For some reason.

Well done Franco!
Post edited at 14:43
In reply to peewee2008: He hasn't said that in so many words, but his post is very much as I described above. Why write something like that if you didn't want to be vindictive and critical of someone? The answer is because that's exactly what he is being. Sadly for Andy Farnell, he believes that everyone else shares his view, when it appears that no one does.

Kemics 01 Jun 2015

> .. provided incontrovertible evidence that he's a bitter and tragic old fool
>

That's not very polite language. You come across poorly yourself with that post.
 John Kettle 01 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Top effort Franco, actions speak louder than words.
In reply to UKC News:

Awesome effort Franco, stay strong
In reply to Kemics:

> That's not very polite language. You come across poorly yourself with that post.

You may well be right about my language, I bow to your knowledge of such things. I sometimes find being polite is rather twee - especially when it gets in the way of expressing an opinion. I don't care how I come across.
 Kemics 01 Jun 2015

Just trying to point out this is a community. I doubt you'd say that to andy's face grade debates is an important part of climbing chat, let's not get all bent out of shape
 SteveSBlake 01 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

It looks great, very hard, and probably is, and the rock looks really good. It would be interesting to know a bit more about the Skyhook placement. Up here (A bit further North), we'd 'frown' on the use of a skyhook as they would likely blow out whatever hold/feature/flake it's on should it be subject to a leader fall.

Well done etc,

Steve

Michael Gordon 01 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Looks like an excellent route. Great photo!
 Mick Ward 01 Jun 2015

> I don't care how I come across.

Well you should do - because it has an effect on people - online, offline, people you've never met, maybe people close to you.

For what it's worth, I agree entirely with your stance. I was possibly the first (this time around) to ask Andy to either let it go or else do repeats of Franco's routes. But treating him like a pariah won't help.

I've always admired your contributions on here. But lately you seem to have become a bit aggressive. With some of us (e.g. Goucho, me (of yore)) aggressiveness is a red rag to a bull. But I'm slowly beginning to realise that red rags, red ragged bulls and aggressiveness cause more problems on this planet than they solve.

Ironically Franco would probably agree. For such a crazy, inspired young guy, oddly enough he seems to be in touch with some primordial wisdom which others of us (certainly me) have to struggle painfully towards.

Best wishes,

Mick

planetmarshall 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Kemics:
> grade debates is an important part of climbing chat, let's not get all bent out of shape

Thing is, it wasn't really a debate. Andy decided to make it personal with his 'open letter'. If he's now on the sharp end of some tough remarks, he's only reaping what he sowed.
Post edited at 21:37
 natetan 01 Jun 2015
Awesome stuff.

And for grade doubter types.. it's blindingly easy really; go repeat the routes and let us know the outcome.
 Franco Cookson 01 Jun 2015
In reply to SteveSBlake:

It's in an iron hole. (we don't climb on crumbly rubbish down here ) http://francocookson.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/does-place-matter.html
 Franco Cookson 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Jon Read:

yep
 SteveSBlake 01 Jun 2015
In reply to Franco Cookson:

Hi Franco, I eventually found the photo of the placement on your blog. Good enough to back off from (perhaps) But just as well you didn't fall!

Great effort on a grand looking piece of rock.

Regards from the real North

Steve
 thermal_t 02 Jun 2015
In reply to Franco Cookson:

> It's in an iron hole. (we don't climb on crumbly rubbish down here ) http://francocookson.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/does-place-matter.html

F*** falling on that!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...