UKC

Bouldering venue near Manchester for tonight please!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 scottidog 03 Jun 2015
Fancy a spot of bouldering in the lower grades this evening, thinking Wimberry but guessing it could be a bit damp after the last couple of days. Have been to Brownstones loads so would like to try somewhere new

Anyone have any suggestions please?

Thanks!
 themattyshep 03 Jun 2015
In reply to scottidog:

Blackstone edge has some good boulders but it is a long walk in of about 40 mins, or brownstones is the obvious option and I might go up as well this evening.
 Offwidth 03 Jun 2015
In reply to scottidog:

Hobson Moor is up with the most reliable:

https://www.ukclimbing.com/logbook/crag.php?id=151
 robin mueller 03 Jun 2015
In reply to scottidog:
Higher Chelburn is not far from Blackstone Edge but only a 12min walk in and lots of easier stuff. Mostly fast drying. Loads of other great venues for low grade climbing on that moor - Stony Edge in particular, but mostly with longer walk ins. Not sure about 40min walk for Blackstone, seems like you'd have to be going pretty slow to do that.

Cadshaw small quarry is fast drying with lots of easier stuff.

Wilton 2 has a great slab and Wilton 3 has The Square, plus lots of other lower grades bits, but on Wednesdays shooters have priority.

Stronstrey Bank has some good fast drying easier stuff.

Healey Nab has some good stuff too, but probably not all as fast drying as Stronstrey.

Deeply Vale has a nice bay of easier bouldering.

There are others, but those are probably the most obvious. All in the new lancashire bouldering guidebook - details at www.lancashirebouldering.com
Post edited at 15:40
 The New NickB 03 Jun 2015
In reply to themattyshep:

> Blackstone edge has some good boulders but it is a long walk in of about 40 mins, or brownstones is the obvious option and I might go up as well this evening.

Where are you walking from? It's 20 minutes from the White House!
 themattyshep 03 Jun 2015
In reply to The New NickB:
Last time I went I did get abit lost on the way in haha
 Dave Heaton 04 Jun 2015
In reply to scottidog:

The ground at Wimberry might be a bit damp but I doubt the boulders will be.
 robin mueller 04 Jun 2015
In reply to scottidog:

Just spotted this blog the other day - lots of pics of grade 6's from various venues on the East Lancs Moors - Blackstone Edge, Stony Edge, Cow's Mouth, Wicken Lowe, Higher Chelburn, White House Quarry. All reachable in 30min from Manchester, depending on traffic.

http://www.theroamingrenegades.com/2015/06/bouldering-on-unique-natural-scu...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...