UKC

NEW REVIEW: Mountain Equipment Hope Pant

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC Gear 05 Jun 2015
Warming up at Oliana, despite the blue sky it was a very cold/windy day!!, 4 kbHaving gone a bit soft in recent years (i.e. I've become a fair weather sport climber) reviewing waterproof/insulated jackets is no longer within my repertoire. So, when Mountain Equipment launched their new rock climbing range I saw an opportunity to re-kindle the gear review flame without the danger of getting cold/wet...or so I thought...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/gear/review.php?id=7389
In reply to UKC Gear:

Think you pretty much get it spot on in the review. Bought a pair of these a couple of months back, at the risk of sounding like I work for M.E., they are the best all round trousers I've found. Reckon they're perfect for all but 'shorts days'. Being tall I particularly like the long fit option which is often hard to find in outdoor trousers.
The main problem is they effectively make all the other trousers I've bought over the years obsolete as it's hard to see the point of wearing anything else.
In reply to DubyaJamesDubya:

I'm glad it's not just me!

Funnily enough, I wore a pair of brand new synthetic trousers over the weekend (must have fancied a change) and ripped them first go. Bit disappointing, especially because I paid >£50 for them. Switched back to the Hope Pants after, not sure why I ever changed in the first place now.
In reply to Rob Greenwood - UKC:

I'm sure I'll end up doing something similar eventually. Keeps the retailers in business.
 stp 10 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC Gear:

Good review.

> However, as a result the bottom half tends to be forgotten and despite the market being filled with ‘technical trousers’ (whatever that means) I would say that good ones are in very short supply.

I totally agree with this. I haven't seen a pair of bottoms designed specifically for rock climbing for many years. I still wear Verve pants which I've had for many years and were designed by hard core rock climber Christian Griffith. These have not been available in this country for a long time and there is nothing remotely similar in the shops. The only drawback with the Verve stuff is the price, currently around £50 - £60 per pair, which is perhaps seen as too high for lycra pants and maybe why they don't sell here.

There is definitely a huge gap in the market here waiting to be filled.

The M.E. idea of clothing for cold/windy days is definitely a good one though I think I'd certainly think twice before spending £80 on a pair of bottoms. I'd just be thinking why do they cost so much more than ordinary trousers?
In reply to stp:
Try some Prana Bronsons. 25% cheaper than these and probably broadly similar. You can often get them for less from GoOutdoors etc.
Post edited at 19:28
 TobyA 10 Jun 2015
In reply to stp:

> The M.E. idea of clothing for cold/windy days is definitely a good one though I think I'd certainly think twice before spending £80 on a pair of bottoms. I'd just be thinking why do they cost so much more than ordinary trousers?

I've never spent anything close to that on trousers (except, perhaps you could argue, as part of a decent suit) but it does seem plenty of people are will to spend something like that on brand name jeans. So when you are getting something well cut for climbing, well finished and made out of a water resistant and wind resistant stretchy material, I guess the cost looks less unreasonable.

I take Rob's point in the review though, there is something less flashy about your troos, so while we might consider paying over 100 quid for a good softshell, similar amounts seem a lot for trousers.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...