UKC

Live bob Graham round

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Hangar 18 athlete and GB orienteer Duncan Archer is currently on his Bob Graham attempt and you can follow his GPS track if anyone is interested

http://maps.opentracking.co.uk/bg2015.cfm?n=21
 Phil1919 06 Jun 2015
In reply to sam.sam.sam.ferguson:

Impressive given the strength of the wind.......
 goose299 06 Jun 2015

Why's he trying to finish it in 20 hours and not the usual 24?

That is impressive as someone else has said its super windy up here at the moment
 Roadrunner5 06 Jun 2015
In reply to goose299:

> Why's he trying to finish it in 20 hours and not the usual 24?

24 is the slowest time, most go under that, the quicker the better.. very few break 20, even fewer get within 2 hours of the existing record.
 goose299 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

oh ok, thanks
 Roadrunner5 06 Jun 2015
In reply to goose299:
Summer record is 13:53.. I'm not sure if anyone has even got within an hour of that.
I think Mark hartells 14:54 is the second fastest.
Post edited at 17:44
 goose299 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Ridiculous times. What time did you do yours in, Iain?
 Roadrunner5 06 Jun 2015
In reply to goose299:

Never did it.. I did the Paddy Buckley, welsh version but never had a go when I fit.

I suspect I'd be 16-17 hours a good few hours off those guys.
In reply to Simonfarfaraway:

He seems to be a little bit ahead of schedule too. Wind must be blowing him along..
 steelbru 06 Jun 2015

Sub 19, good effort !
Clauso 06 Jun 2015

Best of luck to the chap...
Clauso 06 Jun 2015

Perhaps I'm being particularly thick tonight, but I can't see any indication of his progress on that map...
 Roadrunner5 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Clauso:

Should be a think blue line. He's finished but I can't see a time on my I phone
 steelbru 06 Jun 2015

Yep, a blue line showing fine on my laptop.

The finish time is not populated but it was just before I posted earlier, so about 21:55, and it says he started at 3am, so about 18:55 ish
Clauso 06 Jun 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Oh, I see... This thread was posted late this afternoon, I assumed that he'd set off then.
Clauso 06 Jun 2015
In reply to steelbru:

... And, good effort!
 goose299 07 Jun 2015

Well done to the lad
 Bob 07 Jun 2015
In reply to goose299:
If you wish to join the BGR club then you need to complete the round in under 24hrs - 23:59:59 is fine if cutting things a little close. Most of those intending to do this do so in a time between 22:30 and 23:59 (I don't think there has been anyone within five minutes of the 24hr mark in the last few years). Once you start looking at quicker times things get somewhat rarer, in 2014 there were only 6 rounds quicker than 22hrs for example though 4 of those were sub 20hr.

There was a thread on the FRA forums a couple of years ago and it's possible that less than 15 people out of almost 1900 members have done a time beneath 18hrs. Billy Bland's record wasn't on his first, qualifying, round but his second that he did to mark the 50th anniversary of Bob Graham's original round though his first round was also the quickest at the time he did it. The fastest club qualifying time is Stuart Bland in 14:56.

Unless someone explicitly goes for the record then we don't really have knowledge of it - Nicky Spinks' attempts at the ladies record being an example.

I'm the club membership secretary BTW so have access to the data
Post edited at 20:18

Duncan's written a piece for the Hangar 18 blog if anyone wants to read the account of his successful Bob Graham.

http://h18-orr.blogspot.co.uk/2015/06/duncan-archers-18hr-51m-bob-graham-ro...
 Greasy Prusiks 07 Jun 2015

Complete novice here but this looks like a very interesting event. Is anyone has a few minutes It'd be good to hear a bit about it? A bit of googleing and it appears to be an orienteering 24hr race around the lakes?
Clauso 07 Jun 2015
In reply to ACollins:

It's a fell running challenge. Bob has a put a good website together about it:

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php
 Greasy Prusiks 07 Jun 2015
In reply to Clauso:

Thanks I'll have a look.
 Bob 08 Jun 2015
In reply to ACollins:

It's a challenge not a race (other than against the clock), there's no set time to attempt it, it's up to the individual to organise everything themselves but there is an annual Dark Peak "train"where that club sets things up for a few of their members.

Basically the BGR was part of the 24hr fell bagging challenge that was popular in the early 20th century which had as its aim: "to traverse on foot as many mountains over 2000ft and return to the starting point within 24hrs" (These days the required starting/finishing point is the Moot Hall in Keswick). It just so happened that Bob Graham's record stood for a long time and is of a difficulty that puts it just at the right point for the modern club fell runner, the Goldilocks zone as it were: not too easy that success is certain but not too hard that only the very best will succeed. Last year for instance there were 56 successes out of 144 attempts so slightly better than 1 in 3 but some years it is closer to 1 in 2.

The basic stats are 66 miles and 26,000ft of ascent/descent though both depend on the exact route taken.

Greasy Prusiks 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Bob:

Thanks for the info! It looks quite the challenge I'll have to follow it next year.
In reply to ACollins:
There are loads of attempts throughout the year. You can try this on any day. Think of it as a hard rock climb. You can try it any day you like, some get good conditions, others don't. When you succeed it's quite an achievement. No set day though, no set start time etc.

People attempt this a lot, and winter ascents as well, which are much tougher of course.
 Greasy Prusiks 08 Jun 2015

Ah Ok cheers. So is there some way of proving you've done the route in the time?
In reply to ACollins:

You must be accompanied to have each summit verified.
 Bob 08 Jun 2015
In reply to ACollins:

If you are aiming for membership of the BGR Club then you need to be accompanied at each top and your time recorded at those points and at the four road crossings (obviously the start and finish help ). These times and the names of your companions/witnesses are then submitted on the ratification form. When it gets to me I roll a pair of dice and if the total is seven or higher then you're in!

Most contenders have a couple of helpers per leg or section (there's five) plus road support so it's not as awkward as it might seem.
 Simon Caldwell 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Bob:

I wonder if this might change in the future, with the advent of trackers?
 Bob 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Simon Caldwell:

For many, the round is a social (or indeed sociable) event and I don't think that will change. The only requests we get about using some form of GPS verification are from those who wish to do a solo round, usually because the individual isn't part of a running club with a fell running history, and these number one or two a year, these are swamped by the number of requests about other aspects of the round.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...