UKC

The Criterium

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 08 Jun 2015

So, is Froome going to show his hand and will it be four aces or a pair of two's?
 yorkshireman 08 Jun 2015
In reply to Removed User:

I can't see him risking anything for what is essentially a warm up race. I missed yesterday's stage but looking forward to catching the highlights later on Eurosport player.

Friday's stage comes just a few KMs from our house as it climbs up to the Col de Grimone (a spectacular ride) so work phone calls and weather (we've had ridiculous afternoon thunderstorms lately including golf ball sized hail on Saturday) then I will run or pedal up to take a look.
 nufkin 12 Jun 2015

> is Froome going to show his hand

Looked like he started showing it yesterday, but was beaten to the draw
 balmybaldwin 12 Jun 2015
In reply to nufkin:

Great ride yesterday by Bardet - great descending... I was wincing as he pedalled round the bends expecting a pedal strike at any moment.
 Chris the Tall 12 Jun 2015

Been too busy riding to watch any of it, but yesterday sounded like a great stage and today sounds even better. Great to hear the big names are attacking early rather than waiting for the final climb

And before anyone has a go at me for spoiling - the bad news is that apparently it all happened before the coverage started !
Gone for good 12 Jun 2015
To be honest I was ever so slightly disappointed with Fromme yesterday and with the apparent ease that Tejay reeled him back in at the end of the race.
I would have thought he would be going all out to win and lay down a marker for the tour and to remind Contador of who his main rivals are going to be.
 Alun 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Gone for good:

I'm not sure, I reckon Froome is pretty happy. Van Garderen was very impressive yes, but we have no idea how far in the red he was going at the end - getting the leaders jersey at this point is bigger achievement for him than for Froome. I'm reasonably sure Froome stuck exactly to his prescribed power levels in order to stay fresh for the next couple of days.

I was more disappointed with Nibali - I know he has a history of liking to hold back in the Dauphiné, but it rather insults the race if he treats it so obviously as a glorified training session.

I'm pleased for Van Garderen though, he deserves a good result and seems like a good egg. Hopefully he can keep the jersey til the end.
 andy 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Gone for good: Today looked like a meta-cock up from Sky - letting Mr Nibbles, Martin, Rui Costa etc disappear up the road so early on. But what about Simon Yates, eh?

Guy 12 Jun 2015
In reply to andy:

Best bike race for ages.
 balmybaldwin 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Guy:

Glad you said that, I haven't been hooked on anything this year - even the Giro seemed very dull
Gone for good 12 Jun 2015
In reply to balmybaldwin:

Great ride by nibbles and Costa. An exercise in damage limitation for Froome but what the hell happened to Team Sky? Froome won't get anywhere on the Tour if his team can't keep up.
 balmybaldwin 12 Jun 2015

dont think this is the tour team... richie porte et al are resting after the giro
 andy 13 Jun 2015
And G is leading the Tour de Suisse team, so not here either.
 Chris the Tall 13 Jun 2015

Will be very interesting to see how today pans out. Will nibbles et all pay for their monumental efforts yesterday? Or will that be negated by the amount of work Froome had to do to limit his losses. I wouldn't say it was a massive cock-up by Sky. It's not often a combine of that strength comes together and works together but when they do you have a very powerful TTT machine. Even if Sky and BMC were working flat out they couldnt match it, which then means the rest of the peloton fractures and everyone is working as hard as the leaders.

Another big day today - and I might actually get to watch some of it
 mark s 13 Jun 2015

i thought astana had trouble getting a license to race this year. nibali is a strange one.one day he is a broken man,the next he is flying.surely this must raise questions ,personally i dont care what they do as it makes for good tv.
 balmybaldwin 13 Jun 2015
In reply to mark s:
I have to admit to similar thoughts, but then is the dauphine worth doping to win?
Post edited at 11:17
In reply to mark s:
You do get the feeling that something might be going - read the secret pro on cycling tips and there are many in the peloton who feel the same. Especially when it's Astana and katusha being so strong. But on the other hand that was no ordinary break yesterday - a road world champ, a TT world champ, one of the few people ever to win all 3 grand tours, a TDF stage winner and I can't remember the other two but they weren't mugs either. Took advantage of wet roads and a disorganised peloton. May well have been that nibbles and martin had the same plan - long training ride at high pace - and Nibbles suddenly realised he could take the race lead
Gone for good 13 Jun 2015
In reply to Chris the Tall:

Superb ride by Froome and the Sky team. Picked up big time after yesterday. Best performance by Froome this year.
 abr1966 13 Jun 2015

Classic Froome today! Hope he can maintain and improve for the tour...

I take it we are feeling that things are looking a bit more human after today, and I'm not just saying that because 2 English speakers are leading the GC. The guys who made the big efforts yesterday paid for it today, the guys who are pacing themselves for the week have done just that and risen to the top. All set up for another interesting day tomorrow
 andy 13 Jun 2015
Ned B said as much in commentary - there's a bunch of lads who gave it massive beans yesterday hoping to get enough of a gap to win - and it wasn't enough. Froome (and Sky) and Tejay basically hoovered up today.
 dale1968 14 Jun 2015
Should be a great final stage...
Gone for good 14 Jun 2015
In reply to dale1968:

And so it was a fabulous finale. Special mention for Simon Yates. A star in the making.
 andy 14 Jun 2015

> And so it was a fabulous finale. Special mention for Simon Yates. A star in the making.

Did they say it's only his second year as a pro?
 Mike Highbury 14 Jun 2015
In reply to andy: > Did they say it's only his second year as a pro?

Do you remember the hoo-hah when he and his brother thumbed their noses at Sky?
 Chris the Tall 14 Jun 2015
In reply to Mike Highbury:

> > Did they say it's only his second year as a pro?

> Do you remember the hoo-hah when he and his brother thumbed their noses at Sky?

I remember a lot of people saying it was a sensible decision - that OGE would be a better place to develop given that sky's priorities were somewhat higher and more immediate
 DaveHK 14 Jun 2015

> I remember a lot of people saying it was a sensible decision - that OGE would be a better place to develop given that sky's priorities were somewhat higher and more immediate

I thought that at the time but lots of folks accused them of arrogance.
 Chris the Tall 14 Jun 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

Best to ignore such people!

Cracking finish to the race. Somewhat expected, but nonetheless it all came down to that final kilometre
 balmybaldwin 15 Jun 2015

One of the best races I've seen. Quality racing every day.

Really looking forward to the tour... 4 major contenders (Contador, Nibbles, Quintana, Froome) and several pretenders (Valverde, Martin, Bardot, TJ, Hesjedal etc)
 dale1968 15 Jun 2015
Great to see two UJs in the results
 Guy 15 Jun 2015

I have a horrible feeling the Tour wont live up to that. Best stage race in ages.
 DaveHK 15 Jun 2015

> and several pretenders (Valverde, Martin, Bardot, TJ, Hesjedal etc)

Dan Martin? Really? Stages maybe but not much pedigree as an overall contender.

balmybaldwin 15 Jun 2015
In reply to DaveHK:

> Dan Martin? Really? Stages maybe but not much pedigree as an overall contender.

He seems to be pushing up the order with a few top 10 GC finishes... not a contender as I would have put him in the top group, but someone that can cause some doubts in the others' heads

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/dan-martin-targets-ardennes-classics-an...
 nufkin 15 Jun 2015

> several pretenders (Valverde, Martin, Bardot, TJ, Hesjedal etc)

TvD looked like he might well be a bit more than a pretender.

I suppose a lot was down to the time-trial - but he did have a good go at Froome on some of the hills
 balmybaldwin 16 Jun 2015
In reply to nufkin:
He's coming on well, but I think this year is a bit early... but you never know they could start dropping like flies again
Post edited at 00:35

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...