UKC

Westway parking fine

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Šljiva 09 Jun 2015
I know PCNs on private land has been done a lot on here, but the most recent I can find is 2013 when I search. I left my car with the carwash guys at Westway while I climbed the other day and they said I didn't need to get a ticket/ they'd take care of it, which was always the case - you got free parking if you got your car washed, but now there are cameras on the car park and I have a £75 penalty notice.
Where do I stand with this? My inclination is to appeal, send them the £3,50 parking fee and a few quid to cover the cost of sending a letter. Can they enforce the fine?
 ByEek 09 Jun 2015
In reply to Šljiva:
Oh the joys. I managed to successfully contest a parking fine by sending them a letter which I found on the internet. It basically said something along the lines of:
- Is the PCN you sent regarding breach of contract or trespass
- Could I see the agreement you have with the land owner
- The small print on the signs was unreadable (it was)
- Various other petite patheticness of legal bollocks
- I also appealed on the basis that they had taken longer than 14 days to contact me (I forgot to change my address with the DVLA - ooops!)

All sent in a recorded delivery.

They never got back to me, and I did get to the point where I was going to pay but when I rang up, I found my account was owing nothing so I guess they decided not to pursue me.

But it is still a gamble. I believe a recent court case found these parking charges to be legal. Camera parking is the new form of clamping cowboys.
Post edited at 15:02
 JM 10 Jun 2015
In reply to Šljiva:

I got one from the Westway about the same time I moved house. However, it took me a couple of months to change the address my car was registered with. By the time I was aware of the letter (that got sent to my old address) the fine had increased and I guess they have since been sending threatening letters. I guess they still have my old address on their database as I have just ignored it and although I have changed the address my car is registered at I have received no letters.

My advice would be to just ignore it and make no contact with them. I know someone from the Westway who has ignored numerous fines and nothing has ever come of it.
 BoulderBus 10 Jun 2015
In reply to Šljiva:

was that in the actual car park or on the street?
OP Šljiva 10 Jun 2015
In reply to BoulderBus: It was in the car park. I spoke to the car wash guys last night, and it shouldn't have happened - it's free entry if you're using them. I've written to them along those lines, will see what they come back with. Hassle I could do without though!

Phil79 10 Jun 2015
In reply to Šljiva:

No the same situation, but I got landed with a Parking Charge Notice for over running a 4 hour ticket by 5 mins, in a private car park. They sent me various letters, slowly increasing the "amount now owed" from £70 to £150, then back down to £80 ("last chance to pay etc") before sending me a several letters threatening legal action.

When I got the first letter I contacted the company with a variation of a standard letter found on the internet, and they responded with a 'pay it or else' type response. I then ignored them and they have stopped sending them now. They also got the name wrong on everyone of the letters they sent me.

Its a bit of a gamble as I understand these have fairly recently been changes in the law, which make private parking tickets a bit more legitimate, and there have been civil court cases which have ruled in favour of the ticketing companies.
J1234 10 Jun 2015
In reply to Šljiva:
> they said I didn't need to get a ticket/ they'd take care of it, which was always the case - you got free parking if you got your car washed,
>

So your beef is with the car wash, tell them to "take care of it"
Post edited at 15:53
In reply to Šljiva: Two options:

1) Let the car wash deal with it as they said it would be OK.

2) Return all future letters with "Not known at this address" on them. That works for me every time.

OP Šljiva 10 Jun 2015
In reply to Frank the Husky:
Now cancelled on the authorisation of the car wash guys. Phew. Thanks all
 solomonkey 11 Jun 2015
In reply to Šljiva:

After receiving threatening letters I chose to get 3 slings as large prusiks and climbed the pole with the camera on , once just underneath I sprayed the screen with expanding foam ! Takes them at least 2 Weeks to change/fix it giving everyone 2 Weeks of parking without fear of prosecution . I guy with a high viZ on turned up and said he had phoned the police and reported me , suppose if I had a number plate on my for head I might of heard of them .
 Oceanrower 11 Jun 2015
In reply to solomonkey:

No, no you didn't.

Hurry up now or you'll be late for school......

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...