UKC

Top roping area for beginners in the lake district

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 lotoad 10 Jun 2015
Hi,

Hoping to tap into the combined wisdom of the forum(!) - I am going to the lakes for a few days this weekend with some non climbing friends and was hoping on one of the days to set up a top rope somewhere just to make a change from Walking.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a suitable area to do this where I won't annoy to many climbers and the routes are interesting but not too hard?

I have done something similar at Craig Pant Ifan in Tremadog before and it was great fun, so something similar to this in the lakes would be great if anyone knows anywhere!

Thanks very much,

Jim.

tmawer 10 Jun 2015
In reply to lotoad:

Where abouts in the Lakes will you be based?
OP lotoad 10 Jun 2015
In reply to tmawer:

Hi,

Based in Keswick.

Jim.
In reply to lotoad:

Low Raven Crag, 5 minutes from the car.

http://www.frcc.co.uk/crags.asp?guide_id=19&crag_id=278
In reply to lotoad:

Church Crag in St John's in the Vale is nice and only a short walk from the road - it's in the FRCC Eastern Crags guide.
 tmawer 10 Jun 2015
In reply to lotoad:

Have a look at Church Crag (St Johns in the Vale) amd Snail Shell Crag (Mungrisdale)as places where you may have the place to yourself. Wodens Face and Glaciated slabs in Borrowdale may be other options. I am sure there's plenty more that others will recommend.
 GrahamD 10 Jun 2015
In reply to lotoad:

Wodens Face above the Bowderstone used to be popular for this
 earlsdonwhu 10 Jun 2015
In reply to lotoad:
Just to the north is Headend quarry. Possibly too far for you but otherwise probably ideal.

Not grim like most quarries!
OP lotoad 11 Jun 2015
Thanks for the replies everyone -think I'm going to give Woden's Face or Church Crag a go, depending on the weather. The others look like great alternatives too.

Cheers!

Jim.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...