UKC

NEWS: How to climb 8B being sick and without training

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 10 Jun 2015
Jarkko Linkosuonio, 3 kbMany of us try hard to become better climbers. We train hard, follow programs and maybe even diets. Sometimes it works, more often..not so much.
Some people can't do all that. Can't train at all. Not even work.
And still climb as a pro.
Meet the next Finnish star Jarkko Linkosuonio.
Here is...

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69781
 SenzuBean 10 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

When life gives you Lyme's - make Lymonade!

Great story Jarkko - keep it up
 Lord_ash2000 11 Jun 2015
So, "How to climb 8B being sick and without training?"

Be an adult who only weighs 48Kg seems to be the answer.

Steve13 11 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I think a better title for this article would be "Making the most of the gifts we're given"

This article is about a really gifted climber who gets struck down with quite a debilitating illness and instead of just giving up he keeps his chin-up, works around his illness and still achieves amazing results. He could've sat in bed and felt sorry for himself about his bad luck but instead he got out there no matter how crap he felt and pulled damn hard.

Think this is something all of us could learn from. Theres always days when we feel tired/lazy/hungover and cant face the training, but then you lose out on potential improvement. A bit of inspiration to suck-it-up, have a coffee and do another set of deadhangs.
 Shani 11 Jun 2015
In reply to Lord_ash2000:
> So, "How to climb 8B being sick and without training?"

> Be an adult who only weighs 48Kg seems to be the answer.

Precisely. I can chin-up with 60kg in weights attached to me.
Post edited at 10:02
 paul mitchell 11 Jun 2015
In reply to Shani:

Very curious to know what his diet is and what are the herbs he took? Anyone got an email contact? Mitch
 Shani 11 Jun 2015
In reply to paul mitchell:

> Very curious to know what his diet is and what are the herbs he took? Anyone got an email contact? Mitch

Sounds a bit 'woo woo' to me. With regard to diet, eat a broad/seasonally influenced wholefood diet. Avoid any product highly refined or heavily processed, particularly if the packaging is appended with 'low-fat', 'free from...', 'gluten-free' etc....
 Jubjab 12 Jun 2015
In reply to paul mitchell:

He has a blog http://jarkkolinkosuonio.blogspot.com where he goes into detail about his diet. It's in Finnish, but a google translate will probably do a decent job of deciphering the text.

Overall I agree with Shani that it's very hard to prove that a diet works or not, but Shani's own dietary advice is just as 'woo woo' as Jarkko's. When you read Jarkko's blog it's obvious that he has put a lot of effort and trial and error into finding a diet that works for him. Of course, what works for him (and his condition) might not be what is best for anyone else.
 Shani 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Jubjab:

> Of course, what works for him (and his condition) might not be what is best for anyone else.

And of course changes in his diet might have had nothing to do with any change in his condition.
 jsmcfarland 12 Jun 2015
In reply to Shani:

Yawn. It's quite fashionable these days to bash anything that isn't in pill form, but if it has worked for him then great. If 'herbs' didn't work I think the human race would have died out long before modern medicine was practised
 Shani 12 Jun 2015
In reply to jsmcfarland:

> Yawn. It's quite fashionable these days to bash anything that isn't in pill form, but if it has worked for him then great. If 'herbs' didn't work I think the human race would have died out long before modern medicine was practised

'Herbs' and food may have medicinal properties. Disease may be precipitated by poor nutrition. But to make a claim to have discovered a cure requires robust evidence.

What has worked for him may be placebo, or his body's immune system rather than 'herbs'.

That is not a 'fashionable' attempt to ' bash anything that isn't in pill form'. It is science. It is why some of us do not believe nudism causes earthquakes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...