UKC

Kinder downfall- is it in...?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Planning a trip to kinder tomorrow, got my eye on zigzag in the amphitheatre... But would also like to do the downfall climb if possible. How much water is likely to be flowing over the falls at present, given the recent dry weather? I'm guessing that it will take a lot longer than we've had so far for the bogs to dry out enough to stop the flow over the falls, but thought it worth asking

And I got to start a thread asking if the downfall was in nick, which is a bonus....

Gregor
 alicia 11 Jun 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

I don't know about the downfall specifically but I was running up on Kinder on Wednesday and the bogs were totally dry. I don't think I saw any water anywhere in the course of two hours...And today is another dry sunny day.
 Simon Caldwell 11 Jun 2015

We were climbing on Kinder North on Saturday, and everything was dry, including some of the streams. I'm certain that the downfall will be dry enough to climb, and probably dry enough to climb without getting wet - as long as you don't leave it until the weekend!
In reply to Simon Caldwell and Alicia,

Thanks- looks like a fair chance of getting it done then...

Cheers

Gregor

Turns out it wasn't 'in' after all.... Not much water going over the downfall, but enough to make it look like a distinctly unpleasant prospect...

How often does it dry up completely? And is there any gear in the top half of it? It may only be a mod, but I didn't fancy soloing it...

We did zigzag instead- and what a fantastic route that is. Steep for a v diff, with continuous interest and a nice range of moves. And what a location! Better than heaven crack? It just might be, in my book...

Overall an excellent day- walked from Edale, up crowden clough and did the nice grade 1 scramble at the top- that was dry- then across the kinder plateau, impressively remote feeling given how close it is to manchester. Kinder gates were unexpectedly dramatic, and the arrival at the downfall is awe inspiring. All in all, a great walk, and a great route.

And no queueing for the routes either...

Cheers
Gregor
 radar 13 Jun 2015

Downfall never really dries up. Always something coming down it, except when it is really really windy, then it all goes uphill. The NT/Peak Park/Moors for the Future have been building dams on the top to retain water (and hopefully restore/save the peat), seems to be holding water on top of the plateau pretty well. In turn this will probably mean that water will make its way into the Kinder river even during dry spells.
Zoro 13 Jun 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs: ive done it a few times, usually after a week of fairly dry weather there's only a bit of water going over. Although ive always had to time it right in between gushs of water so as not get too much of a shower. Ive never used gear on it, i think its easier than it may appear. I share your enthusiasm for ZigZag route, its one those climbs that combined with the walk in always makes me feel like ive had an adventure!
Its a good remedy for mundanity of roadside cragging i seem to fall into in the peak!
In fact, i should probably get up there, ive not been up since the downfall was in knick!

Thank you no_more_scotch_eggs

Simon Caldwell 13 Jun 2015

It's many many years since I did the Downfall route. But I remember getting quite wet

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...