UKC

Upgrade advice please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rmb1 11 Jun 2015
Hi
I have an old Peugeot road bike which I ride to keep fit.
I'm thinking of upgrading to a used aluminium/carbon bike with Ultegra gearing.
What improvements would I see/ feel?
Thanks
In reply to Rodger Bramham:

Without seeing your old bike it's hard to be specific but improvements should be

Probably Lighter - easier on the hills.
Newer frames tend to be stiffer so more efficient
You'll find braking far better and less effort needed with modern Ultegra brakes and you'll feel more comfortable speeding downhill if you have more confidence in your brakes.
Probably much more precise and smoother gear shifting.
If your old bike is old enough to have downtube shifters you'll find indexed shifters on the brakes way better.

I'd like to say faster but that's down to the rider in the end although you probably will find it feels a bit quicker for the same effort.

In reply to yesbutnobutyesbut:

Agree with most of what you say

But - I still don't have the same confidence in modern side pull brakes that I used to have in the old school centre pull MAFAC Racers of the 1960's. The Mafac levers with the half rubber hoods weren't the comfiest on the market so I used the Italian 'Universal' levers.
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

You're before my time with the 60's brakes I'm afraid but the way every other component has improved in the past 50 years I'd find it hard to believe that a 1960's brake is better than a current top end Ultegra brake.
 Stig 11 Jun 2015
In reply to Lord of Starkness:

Disc brakes are way better than all side pull brakes. I don't think you're a fan though?

To the OP: I have a Cannondale supersix, full carbon, 105 bike on eBay at the moment. Almost brand new, I bought it in September 2014. Email me if you want to discuss...
OP Rmb1 15 Jun 2015

Thanks for responses
Re bike offer..... Will be a few months before I buy thanks
 PM 15 Jun 2015

You'll go much faster. Some of this will be due to weight reduction... of your wallet.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...