UKC

Trail run pitstop between Kendal and Edinburgh

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 J Brown 11 Jun 2015
Hello all,

Tomorrow I'm going to be driving north from Manchester to Edinburgh - I'm stopping briefly to visit family in Kendal.

I thought it might break up the journey nicely to stop somewhere for a run - preferably somewhere that is easy to find / easily accessible, something between 5-10 miles. Circuit of a lake / reservoir etc., that kind of thing. Somewhere along the M6 north from Kendal / M74.

Just thought I'd see if anyone could suggest something... I'm not familiar with that part of the world.

Thanks.

Jamie.
In reply to J Brown:

Wee bit off track but The Grey Mare's Tail on the A708 out of Moffat would be nice and when you are done keep going on the A708 and then A7 to Edinburgh. Or St Mary's Loch a little further up the same road.
 Mark Bull 11 Jun 2015
In reply to J Brown:

Might be a bit far north for you, but a circuit of Mendick Hill from West Linton is a nice run: about 8 miles, mostly good tracks, a bit of tarmac, no big hills. http://my.viewranger.com/route/details/MjNfMzg5OQ==
Ferret 11 Jun 2015
In reply to J Brown:

As an Edinburgh man I'd also recommend anything in the Pentlands - good running, easy navigation etc... but it hardly breaks the journey as its pretty much at destination.

Think about Moffat perhaps... that's about half way. If you take the road from Moffat towards Edinburgh, a few miles North once towards the top of the Devils Beeftub you can park up and head off towards the east. I'm pretty sure you can put a nice circuit together there.

Easier and more direct drive than heading to the Grey Mares tail and through to the A7 as well.
 Roadrunner5 11 Jun 2015
In reply to J Brown:
Ive just ran sections of the Southern Upland Way before.. it crosses the M74.

But Pentlands is excellent.
Post edited at 21:36
OP J Brown 11 Jun 2015
In reply to Roadrunner5:

Thanks guys. I know The Pentlands well, great running. My legs are tired this week, so I might go for that circuit at West Linton.

Thanks all for your advice, much appreciated.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...