UKC

how long for sandstone crags need to dry?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
jonesgirl 13 Jun 2015
how long does it take for bowles rock and other such crags to dry to climb again?
 CurlyStevo 13 Jun 2015
In reply to jonesgirl:
Depends on the time of year and recent rain. Generally in summer Bowles light rain a few hours or less, heavy rain leave it a day a few days heavy rain maybe longer depends on heat wind strength and direction and sun. stone farm is the next quickest drying, parts of Harrison's are quite quick around long lay back and unclimbed wall areas mainly. High rocks is mostly very slow drying. Just because other climbers some of which should know better climb damp sandstone it doesn't make it ok. It's very weak when damp, it errodes the delicate skin faster and large parts can break off! I've seen it happen!

Last year we had a very wet winter and dispite a cold and dry May and a good June most the sandstone was still in poor condition because the ground had been so saturated over winter.

Just because a few climbs are in condition at a crag doesn't mean they all are, your eyes will tell you.

This is one of the biggest problems with the area generally most the climbs are not in acceptable condition and only the same old few are
Post edited at 20:33
jonesgirl 13 Jun 2015
In reply to CurlyStevo:

so use common sense and forget about sunday lol
 leglesslizard 13 Jun 2015
In reply to jonesgirl:

Friend of mine is planning a trip for tomorrow and so rang them today once the rain had passed. Apparently it's dry enough to visit tomorrow

So I'd give them a shout if you want a solid answer ^^
 CurlyStevo 14 Jun 2015
In reply to leglesslizard:
You rang Bowles? They nearly always say it's dry enough on the phone even if it's not. I'm not guessing either way as I have no idea on resent conditions as I moved out from the area 2 months back. Brief showers dry off quickly at Bowles, a day of heavy rain will probably take more than a day to dry but it depends on other factors.. Really if the rock is at all damp it shouldnt be climbed on......,

Some climbs at Bowles can be fast drying at this time of year, pigs nose, hate, the wall Lazarus is on etc. unfortunately that only accounts for a fairly small amount of the potential climbing at Bowles.

The only way to find out is to go and look, unfortunately once most people have travelled there to look they'll often climb on the sandstone even if it's damp.
Post edited at 07:53

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...