UKC

BBC1 chipping classic climbs in Cornwall now!!!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 kevin stephens 19 Jun 2015

WTF? if you missed it watch the last few minutes of tonight's One Show on I-player when it comes up
Post edited at 19:25
 mark s 19 Jun 2015
In reply to kevin stephens:
Isle of lewis
 craig h 19 Jun 2015

It was actually Lewis at the opposite end of the UK.

People have probably been doing it for centuries well before climbers appeared on the cliffs.

yeah, not sure what crag it was but I am pretty shocked. I might be less shocked if it turns out to be some chossfest-horrorshow that's never seen a climber go near it.

It wasn't cornwall BTW
 Greasy Prusiks 19 Jun 2015

What's going on? I missed it.
In reply to ACollins:

check out Iplayer. it was the latter half of the programme - a jeweler wanted to make a trinket for his dad's hip flask so he abseiled into a crag, chipped a fist-sized lump of lewisian gneiss off the crag.
 JJL 19 Jun 2015
In reply to higherclimbingwales:

> check out Iplayer. it was the latter half of the programme - a jeweler wanted to make a trinket for his dad's hip flask so he abseiled into a crag, chipped a fist-sized lump of lewisian gneiss off the crag.

What's your point caller?

We quarry rock too.

It's a resource.

Climbers don't have exclusive access to it.
In reply to JJL:

I don't have a point, I don't know if it is a developed crag and whether I should be shocked or not.

deep breath, count to ten, relax - well at least they didn't place a peg on it
 stp 19 Jun 2015
In reply to JJL:

A fair and interesting point. But by the same logic a climber or a non-climber who wanted to chip holds up a route could say the same thing. I don't know what the answer is.
 Greasy Prusiks 19 Jun 2015

Cheers I'll mooch on over to Iplayer have a closer look.
 Michael Gordon 19 Jun 2015

It looks like a crag which would have routes on it so I imagine the rock has been chipped from a route.

I don't get it. Why go to all that trouble when you could just find a stone at the top/bottom of a crag, or at the beach? He seemed in blissful ignorance anyway. A shame.
 craig h 19 Jun 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:

The.same could be said why go to all the trouble of climbing a steep rock face when you could just use the path to the top.
In reply to craig h:

With Chris Evans taking part he's obviously getting into character preparing for Top Gear
In reply to kevin stephens: Goodness me Kevin! If there was a prize for misinformation you would get it. I think the Daily Mail are recruiting headline writers - I think you should apply! Hilarious stuff, whatever.

Michael Gordon 19 Jun 2015
In reply to craig h:

> The.same could be said why go to all the trouble of climbing a steep rock face when you could just use the path to the top.

Because the whole point of climbing is climbing. Rocks can be collected in a variety of places, many of which don't involve vandalising crags.
 tom84 20 Jun 2015

agree with whoever called you a daily mail headline writer, totally ridiculous. who cares if they've knocked a bit of rock off a cliff- theres no shortage of it up there, we don't own it and have no claim over it.
 deepsoup 20 Jun 2015
> I don't get it. Why go to all that trouble when you could just find a stone at the top/bottom of a crag, or at the beach?

Two possibilities come to my mind..
a) To put more effort into getting something less accessible, thereby making it a bit more 'special' as a gift.
b) If it was on the telly, to make a more dramatic bit of telly than just picking it up off the beach.
 Michael Gordon 20 Jun 2015
In reply to deepsoup:

I reckon the latter. There's only point in getting something from somewhere inaccessible if it's not available somewhere accessible.
 Mikkel 20 Jun 2015

and maybe the collection method was his point for the trinket.
 Webster 20 Jun 2015

get over yourself, climber don't own the rock
Removed User 20 Jun 2015

Total clickbait title, you suck OP.
 Michael Gordon 20 Jun 2015
In reply to Mikkel:

> and maybe the collection method was his point for the trinket.

Doesn't make sense. He could have abbed down to the base and picked up a stone. Not really any easier but less damaging.
 DancingOnRock 20 Jun 2015

Isn't the objective of 'chipping' to change the character of a route - to make it easier or harder?

If his objective wasn't to do either of those then ethically there is no problem. It's technically the same as natural erosion.
 Philip 20 Jun 2015

> check out Iplayer. it was the latter half of the programme - a jeweler wanted to make a trinket for his dad's hip flask so he abseiled into a crag, chipped a fist-sized lump of lewisian gneiss off the crag.

So no different from the place in Ashbourne that sells chockstones removed from Classic/Hard/Extreme Rock routes.

Anyone else fancy a Pebble Rock Ring made from a genuine Froggatt route - only 3 left to buy?
abseil 20 Jun 2015
In reply to Philip:

> .....Anyone else fancy a Pebble Rock Ring made from a genuine Froggatt route - only 3 left to buy?

You could hype it up a bit more! "A pebble ACTUALLY TOUCHED by the great Joe Brown".

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...