UKC

ITB issues

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Can anyone recommend anything other than the standard stretches and foam rollering to help ITB problems? Mine is really sore after a marathon 8 days ago having done just a 1hr bike and 45min run since then. I'm going to rest all week and see how I feel at the weekend after loads of stretching and rollering before I try and do a short run.

Also, will swimming (front crawl) aggravate it?
 afshapes 22 Jun 2015
In reply to Somerset swede basher:

Mine got bad after an 18 miler building up to a marathon. I couldn't do the marathon as it hurt too much. I rollered. ...stretched. ...iced and used k tape. The k tape was pretty good actually . I found heat worked better than ice but in the end rest was the only thing that worked.
So now I've added cycling to my training and daily squats and will be doing yoga too
Emsee1 23 Jun 2015

An ITB Strap for the short term, long term see a Physio pref with some knowledge of the condition.
 The Potato 23 Jun 2015
I've struggled a lot over the years off and on, fine on long flat runs, or short hilly ones but long mountain ones finish it off again.
Bit the bullet recently and went to see sports physio. For me the problem stemmed from feet turning out (duck) which I had worked hard to correct but hadn't paid attention to the knee. So for me my right knee was falling in causing pull along the itb as it tried to support my thigh. This is caused by weak gluteal muscles, the small and lateral ones, you can check this yourself - stand before a mirror and do a 1 leg squat keeping your heel on the ground, your knee should be over your foot, whereas mine bent inwards loads.
It's all well and good being told to do squats lunges etc but its having good form that makes it worth it.
One legged squats, lying down straight side leg raises, single leg bridge, lunges and when running pay attention to foot and knee direction.
Decrease stride length and do shorter faster steps puts less stress on the muscles, don't over do it with stretching it can do more harm than good.
Hope this helps
Edit - swimming would help as it takes all pressure off the joint and works the muscles, FC would help glute major and lower back which us important, breast stroke would work more glute maj and minor, as would sidestroke, go for it!
Edit, edit - leave those swedes alone!
Post edited at 22:59
 Dave B 24 Jun 2015

Even in the last few years things have changed a lot in what people are meant to be doing and there isn't a clear consensus.

Is the foam roller actually exasperating the condition? Simply causing further inflammation?

Are your glutes weak, especially the external rotation muscles?

Do you need to change your running style? Either with orthotics, or to midfoot planting, or something else?

Swim is good
 koalapie 24 Jun 2015

All the research on ITB points towards hip, pelvic and trunk stability, assuming your preparation was decent.
I wouldn't ignore a basic level of flexibility though, especially calves, hamstrings and quads.
A short easy run after a week is probably a good idea, just to lubricate body and mind to the idea of being able to run again, especially if it was your first.
As suggested above, the ITB is kind of fixed to the femur so it can't friction as previously though, instead it compresses a highly sensitive fat pad, so swimming shouldn't aggravate ITBS. Good cross training.
In reply to Pesda potato:

I have now replaced my foam roller with a swede
In reply to Dave B:

On a more serious note...I started to use the foam roller about 4 months ago on my calves when I started getting shin splints and it cleared them up really quick. I did 2 weeks of cycling and swimming with no running just lots of foam rollering then started back gently for a few weeks and shins have been ok since. I was hoping to take the same approach to the ITB but cycling hurts too so was seeing if anyone had a magic cure. I might even have to cross train by actually going climbing (gasps of shock!).

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...