UKC

London to Paris Route Choice

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ActionSte 24 Jun 2015
Im all set to cycle London to Paris solo at the start of August and my current plan is to go London - Newhaven - Dieppe - Beauvais - Paris but im having difficulty choosing which routes to take.

From my understanding the Avenue Verte is a good choice but how much of this is dirt road/poor surfaces?

Or if i take the main roads am i just going to be badgered by traffic the whole time ?

Has anybody else taken this route/have any links to maps?
OP ActionSte 24 Jun 2015
In reply to Orgsm:

Bingo! Thank you very much.

Indy 24 Jun 2015
In reply to ActionSte:

Did it last year. The ferry from Newhaven is a bit of a nightmare but the AV what there is of it is fantastic. Signage for the AV once on to the country lanes is very ropey.
worth doing for the experience.
 mbh 25 Jun 2015
In reply to ActionSte:

We did it a few years ago, but veered off towards Les Andelys on the Seine (for Chateua Gaillard), via La Foret (very beautiful), then came in to Paris along the Seine via cathedrals, Versailles and the parks. Versailles was a crowded nightmare, with nowhere safe to leave your bike with stuff. The rest was great. We camped two nights on the way then stayed in a hotel in Paris. Having bikes once in Paris was a real boon.
 steelbru 25 Jun 2015
In reply to ActionSte:

Seriously, why would you choose to cycle between two cycling very-unfriendly cities with a huge non-cycling friendly stretch of water in the middle ?

Go for a quiet route in the country away from channel crossings and big cities would be my recommendaton
OP ActionSte 28 Jun 2015
In reply to steelbru:

Couple of factors really. I live right next to the North York Moors so quiet routes in the country are kinda the norm and in all honesty i love cycling in London! Also my girlfriend is meeting me in Paris on my birthday and im being treated to a few days there as ive only ever passed through the place so i figured it was a pretty fun way to get there
 jonathan watt 13 Jul 2015
In reply to ActionSte:

Did exactly that route last summer in 1day. Rode from Big Ben to Newhaven, Dieppe to Paris. Didn't use AV but sorted my own route. Actually seemed like a lovely route as I generally went for quieter roads. Happy to see if I can send you GPX routes that I put together if it helps.

Jon
 GrahamD 14 Jul 2015
In reply to ActionSte:

Slight hijack but I'm planning a Paris ride later in the year but from Le Havre - anyone done an itinerary they could recommend from that direction ? or any good free French map tools that give a bit of terrain detail equivalent to our OS maps ? many thanks

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...