UKC

NEWS: Pete Whittaker Onsights E7/8 with Gaffa-Tape and Blu-Tack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 25 Jun 2015
Pete Whittaker onsight on The Complete Scream E7/8 - can you see the protection?, 4 kbPete opted to take several sky hooks and some office supplies for his impressive onsight ascent of The Complete Scream at Fair Head in Northern Ireland...

Everyone uses Gaffa-Tape and Blu-Tack, right?!

Read more at http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69807

In reply to UKC News:

Well. That looks terrifying.
 drolex 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:
Everything this guy does looks both terrifying and somehow very funny.
Post edited at 12:04
blahblahblacksheep 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

well...it looks like that second sky hook might hold...

if he weighed as much as a chipmunk!
 goose299 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Crazy fella
 Ramblin dave 25 Jun 2015
In reply to drolex:

> Everything this guy does look both terrifying and somehow very funny.

That sums it up very nicely! Massively impressive stuff. Brings a new meaning to "taping up".

Also, from the five ten Instagram post:
"Originally graded E8 6b but now given E7 6b if you place a hidden wire that can be found upon abseil inspection."
Different grades for the onsight and the headpoint you say? Hmmm...
 1poundSOCKS 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Ramblin dave:

> Different grades for the onsight and the headpoint you say? Hmmm...

I wonder what the grade is if you forget your gaffa tape?
 JamButty 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Surely if its not an onsight, otherwise how did he know to take gaffer tape.
Bloody fraud....

NottsRich 25 Jun 2015
Impressive!

In the second picture, is he sitting on the hook? The sling looks tight. If not, that's an amazing effort to be unrolling the roll of tape in a position like that! Amazing effort nonetheless.
 Jim Brooke 25 Jun 2015

Abseil inspection is not the same as headpointing...!
 Ed Booth 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:
This was a very impressive bit of climbing to watch. It was totally gripping but Pete did look solid, it just looked quite high consequence in the event of anything going wrong or a hold breaking etc.
It's worth noting that Nathan Lee repeated the route a couple of days later after having practised it on an Ab rope and was still unable to find the wire placement.
It looked more E8 than E7!
 ColmShannon88 25 Jun 2015
In reply to NottsRich:

> In the second picture, is he sitting on the hook? The sling looks tight.

Of course he's not.
 tony 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Has anyone ever taken a fall on a sky-hook held on with blu-tac? Does it really work?
 RyanOsborne 25 Jun 2015
In reply to tony:

I don't think the blu-tac is load bearing... It just stops the skyhook popping off the hold. So not really any different to falling on a skyhook without blu-tac.
 Will Hunt 25 Jun 2015
In reply to RyanOsborne:

Gosh, really? OMG.
 RyanOsborne 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Will Hunt:

I think so yeah...

You sarcasmed my sarcasm.
 tony 25 Jun 2015
In reply to RyanOsborne:

> I don't think the blu-tac is load bearing... It just stops the skyhook popping off the hold. So not really any different to falling on a skyhook without blu-tac.

Yes I know that, I wonder if it's ever worked.
In reply to JamButty:

> Surely if its not an onsight, otherwise how did he know to take gaffer tape.

> Bloody fraud....

>

Not to mention he knew to take sky hooks!
In reply to NottsRich:

> Impressive!

> In the second picture, is he sitting on the hook? The sling looks tight. If not, that's an amazing effort to be unrolling the roll of tape in a position like that! Amazing effort nonetheless.

Dude...it's because the rope is clipped in....!
Parrys_apprentice 25 Jun 2015
how do you tar off gaffa tape one handed?
Removed User 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Clickbait title, I was disappointed to see he was using gear
 Misha 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:
Impressive stuff. The E5 6b that forms the top section of his route looked terrifying enough (and a few people who did it thought more like E6 6a). It's a very inviting route, less than vertical (though not a slab) and the holds look at least half decent but there are tricky moves between them and a fall does not bear thinking about. It's also a stunning piece of rock, best part of 60m high and no cracks even remotely within reach.

DerwentDiluted 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

He just needed a few cable ties and we would have definitive proof of the three most useful things in the world.
Removed User 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Looks like classic E8 H7 6b to me...
 The Pylon King 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Now that is proper impressive.
 Michael Gordon 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Jim Brooke:

> Abseil inspection is not the same as headpointing...!

No, but it does blow the onsight and logically if it's E7 if you find the wire on inspection, it will be H7 if you headpoint it with the wire.
 Andy Farnell 25 Jun 2015
In reply to Michael Gordon:

> No, but it does blow the onsight and logically if it's E7 if you find the wire on inspection, it will be H7 if you headpoint it with the wire.

No, it'll be E7. As it says in the guide. H grades only exist in the magical mythical places. Elsewhere they use real grades.

Well done Pete.

Andy F
 Webster 25 Jun 2015
In reply to climbnplay:

> Dude...it's because the rope is clipped in....!

your probably right, and i imagine the wight of the rope pulling down on the hook helps keep it in place while he faffs with the tape etc!

in response to the questions of whether sky hooks work, iv not seen anybody fall on a bluetaced one but iv seen a video of some kid taking a siezable fall on a skyhook weighed down with hexes or something in t'peak. think the route was about e6.
 Ramblin dave 25 Jun 2015
In reply to andy farnell:
> No, it'll be E7. As it says in the guide.

Confused now - I thought the British trad grading system (God bless her and all who sail in her) graded everything for the onsight regardless of whether you or anyone else has onsighted it or not. So if, without the beta about the wire, it's harder than any E7 to onsight then it should get E8. Grading it E7 because it's easier if you don't try to onsight it seems like an abuse of the system, even if it's arguably a useful one - you're basically doing the same thing as using an H grade but half pretending not to.
Post edited at 18:07
 Franco Cookson 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic. What a class piece of rock too. Nutter.

Glad to see the H grade is now being used over the sea too - even if they don't realise it yet..
 Michael Gordon 25 Jun 2015

I think to be fair to Andy F he is probably saying E7 for if the wire is found but otherwise E8. He just doesn't like the H grade.
 Jim Brooke 25 Jun 2015
> No, but it does blow the onsight and logically if it's E7 if you find the wire on inspection

Yes, obviously. As it says in the article, and guidebook!
Post edited at 23:04
 hands solo 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

go go gadget pete
 johnyo 25 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

I had a look at this on top rope when I was over a couple of weeks ago having heard about this so called 'hidden' wire and it reducing the grade. I have to say I was quite disappointed when I found it...the skyhook placement to its right would be much more bomber in my opinion! Anyone who has ever climbed on this wall will know what an incredible effort it is to onsight the Complete Scream...properly inspiring! Primal Scream is scary enough and you're not going to die on that...
 Andy Farnell 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Franco Cookson:

> Glad to see the H grade is now being used over the sea too - even if they don't realise it yet..

Where in the article does it mention H grades? Are they in the guide? Do they realise they are using H Grades?

No. Because they aren't. They use E grades. Exclusively. Like 99.9999% of the country does when grading trade routes.

Andy F

billb 26 Jun 2015

Its hardly a trade route..

Short&Savage 26 Jun 2015

> Where in the article does it mention H grades?

It doesn't, they're just idiots who've hijacked the thread to turn this into a grade debate.

Nice climbing Pete!

Andy Farnell 26 Jun 2015
In reply to billb:

> Its hardly a trade route..

Bloody spell checker 😠

Andy F
 BGG 26 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Looks utterly terrifying.

Loving the onsight/grade chat etc - it's so UKC! I think one of the times Andy Kirkpatrick was doing one of his standups he was explaining how geeky climbers are to the non-climbers in the audience and said something like most climbers told Alex Honnold had just free-soloed half dome would probably first ask what type of rubber he had on his shoes, funny but quite true too!
 Robert Durran 26 Jun 2015
> Where in the article does it mention H grades? Are they in the guide? Do they realise they are using H Grades?

Oh dear. I think you need to read his post again........
Post edited at 13:15
 Robert Durran 26 Jun 2015
In reply to Short&Savage:

> They're just idiots who've hijacked the thread to turn this into a grade debate.

No they're not. They're intelligent people having an interesting debate.

> Nice climbing Pete!

40 or so repetitions of that (or words to that effect) wouldn't exactly make for a riveting thread.

An awesome looking bit of climbing spawning a good discussion - UKC at its best.

lorens holm 26 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

If he used a bigger sky hook, couldn't he have hooked the tip into the crack at the back of that flake what he's got his hand on, and made it more positive and less blue tacky?
 GrahamD 26 Jun 2015
In reply to lorens holm:

Or if you had a 30m long sky hook, just hook the top of the crag.
 bensilvestre 26 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Maybe we should start using A grades for routes with gear that necessitates abseil inspection. So this would be A7/H7/E8
 SenzuBean 26 Jun 2015
In reply to lorens holm:

> If he used a bigger sky hook, couldn't he have hooked the tip into the crack at the back of that flake what he's got his hand on, and made it more positive and less blue tacky?

I think you actually have a point here. If he had a better skyhook (maybe one that's adjustable, as cams are), then he could've had a better placement. Maybe an adjustable sky hook would be a next gear development, protecting blank faces the way that cams protect cracks.
 ashtond6 26 Jun 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:

If not, he could have reversed the previous 35m and got a bigger one
 Ed Booth 26 Jun 2015
In reply to SenzuBean:
He had 5 or 6 hooks, some were deep and did fit to the back, and some were less deep such as the one in the picture. There were loads of holds similar to the one he's on, so you could get a few on.
Post edited at 17:49
 USBRIT 26 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

If this was a true on sight ground up with no inspection via abseil etc ... its very impressive .
 BGG 26 Jun 2015
In reply to USBRIT:

To be fair it looks very impressive to me full stop.
In reply to andy farnell: Your camp & hysterical protestations everytime Franco pops his lovely head up suggest that far from despising him and all the wonderful things he stands for, you're rather in love with him. We all know that H grades are about being honest, so let's have some honesty about your love for this cheeky youth, you're amongst friends.

jsmcfarland 27 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Andy your obsession with franco is getting quite boring. Wind your neck in, cheers. On topic: That looks amazing and a fair bit terrifying
 JR 27 Jun 2015
In reply to bensilvestre:

Good effort Pete. 7b X?
 Michael Gordon 27 Jun 2015
In reply to John Roberts (JR):

To paraphrase Andy F, "no it's E7/8"
 JR 27 Jun 2015

I thought you might enjoy that. At least it would be the most precise grade in all those listed here!
 Andy Farnell 27 Jun 2015

> To paraphrase Andy F, "no it's E7/8"

Although 7b X is also an excellent way of describing the difficulties and seriousness of the route.

Andy F
 JSH 27 Jun 2015
In reply to tony:

yes and yes
 bensilvestre 27 Jun 2015

"Although 7b X is also an excellent way of describing the difficulties and seriousness of the route."

Yet totally obsolete as its not a real grade, right?
Post edited at 13:09
 JR 27 Jun 2015

For something to be obsolete it needs to have existed and replaced by something new. Perhaps it's the E grade that's actually becoming obsolete. Grades are just metrics, none of them are real. Judging by Jacob's other thread about The Cad, he gets what it's about!

>
> Yet totally obsolete as its not a real grade, right?

If not obsolete then redundant, yes.

Dunno, E6 6a probably tells you all you need to know!
 JR 27 Jun 2015

Have you done it? What sport grade did you think the climbing it was? Did you clip the bolt?
 FactorXXX 27 Jun 2015
In reply to GrahamD:

Or if you had a 30m long sky hook, just hook the top of the crag.

You could even have it slightly longer, lean it against the top of the crag and put steps on it every foot or so.

No, I don't know anything about that route other than what I've read. What did you think to the grade? Like one or two others on that thread I do struggle to see the value of attaching a sport grade to a bold trad route but I guess it's interesting from an academic perspective.
 GridNorth 27 Jun 2015
In reply to UKC News:
I recall seeing pictures of routes on Cloggy, Lithrig perhaps, back in the 60's with sticky tape holding the slings in place.

Al
Post edited at 18:36
 mikej 28 Jun 2015
In reply to GridNorth:

Trevor Jones on the first pitch of Shrike/East Gully Wall?

bensilvestre 28 Jun 2015

Sorry, obsolete was the wrong word. Useless perhaps. I just wanted to point out Farnells hypocrisy (based in his undying love for Franco) in suggesting 7B X (an unestablished system) as a viable grade having already said:

"No, it'll be E7. As it says in the guide. H grades only exist in the magical mythical places. Elsewhere they use real grades. "

As it stands I actually think the American system of attaching a PG13, R, or X to the numerical grade works much better than the E grading system (which is basically imcomprehensible to foreigners), thus using a similar system with the already well established French sport grading system would make a lot of sense, particularly for the harder routes, which are often head pointed, thus necessitating a grade that isn't given for the on sight attempt.

Of course the suggested system does nothing to distinguish between a true on sight, abseil inspected, or headpointed attempt, thus I suggest each route receive four grades. It would look good in the guidebook too...

The complete scream. E8/A7/H7, 6b (7B X)

This is the only logical way to go.

1poundSOCKS 28 Jun 2015

> the E grading system (which is basically imcomprehensible to foreigners)

Surely the best argument to keep it?
 Andy Farnell 28 Jun 2015
In reply to bensilvestre: You forgot to add the bouldering grade for the crux. It should have read:

E8/A7/H7 6b (7b X) Font 6C+/V5

Sorted for ya

Andy F
 JR 28 Jun 2015

> Sorry, obsolete was the wrong word. Useless perhaps. I just wanted to point out Farnells hypocrisy (based in his undying love for Franco) in suggesting 7B X (an unestablished system) as a viable grade having already said:

Ah sorry, I misunderstood the context.

> As it stands I actually think the American system of attaching a PG13, R, or X to the numerical grade works much better than the E grading system (which is basically incomprehensible to foreigners), thus using a similar system with the already well established French sport grading system would make a lot of sense, particularly for the harder routes, which are often head pointed, thus necessitating a grade that isn't given for the on sight attempt.

Amen...

btw great blog I read the other day of yours http://www.nectarclimbing.com/words/my-dirty-little-secret
 bensilvestre 29 Jun 2015
In reply to 1poundSOCKS:

You're totally right, although I'm increasingly keen on Andy's E8/A7/H7 6b (F7b X) 6c+ V5. That would really screw those foreigners up

And thank you John, you can read more at https://bensilvestreclimbs.wordpress.com (please excuse the shameless plug)
 treesrockice 29 Jun 2015
In reply to FactorXXX:

> Or if you had a 30m long sky hook, just hook the top of the crag.

> You could even have it slightly longer, lean it against the top of the crag and put steps on it every foot or so.

UKC re-inventing the ladder

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...