UKC

Warrington 10K last evening

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Rampikino 26 Jun 2015
Did anyone else run Warrington 10K yesterday? If you did then bravo for toughing out the muggy conditions (21 degrees made it a sweaty run).

This was the first time they had used the route and I have to say that it was particularly challenging:

Very narrow start that took some time to get through (14 seconds in my case.
Very narrow course at times including one part fairly early on that was only just about 2 abreast.
A number of hard twists and turns that broke up the flow.
Bollards and posts at the entrances and exits of the park.
A number of long sections where it was enforced pavement running and cars were parked halfway on the pavement leading to having to squeeze through - I saw one runner who tried to run around a car getting physically manhandled by two marshalls back onto the pavement.

I think my main gripe (if it can be called that) is that this was a chip timed run but the timing mats were only used at the end. I'm baffled as to why you would have the technology available and not use it. I went along looking for a PB as it was described as flat, fast and chip timed. Fortunately for me I was well inside a new PB but given that the official times were gun times, if it had been much tighter I would have been left feeling a bit cheated. As it is I now have an official PB and an unofficial PB that is 14 seconds quicker.

In some ways it was about as mixed a course (surface that is) as you could hope to get given that it had tarmac, grass, dirt track, gravel track, pavement and a short bit of concrete!

Still, it was very well organised and marshalled run I have to say, but I'm sadly left with very mixed feelings and unlikely to go back.
 Stig 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

It's in Warrington tho innit?

Recommend Arley Hall 10k which while not entirely flat is a fast course and no tight corners, closed roads, and impeccably organised.

I haven't done it but Trafford 10k is supposed to be the well-known local PB course.
 The New NickB 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Rampikino:

Sounds horrendous. I've done Trafford and Salford (Good Friday) multiple times each, both fast and flat with big enough fields to help pull you along, although Salford only have chip timing at the end as well.
 Roadrunner5 29 Jun 2015
In reply to The New NickB:

> Sounds horrendous. I've done Trafford and Salford (Good Friday) multiple times each, both fast and flat with big enough fields to help pull you along, although Salford only have chip timing at the end as well.

"I think my main gripe (if it can be called that) is that this was a chip timed run but the timing mats were only used at the end. I'm baffled as to why you would have the technology available and not use it. I went along looking for a PB as it was described as flat, fast and chip timed. Fortunately for me I was well inside a new PB but given that the official times were gun times, if it had been much tighter I would have been left feeling a bit cheated. As it is I now have an official PB and an unofficial PB that is 14 seconds quicker."

Thats pretty poor tbh. Id stay away from that race as its not organised by runners presumably. Generally PR's go off chip times, positions in place finished.. so even if you ran faster the guy ahead wins even if you took longer to cross the line.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...