UKC

Recommend me a TV streaming service

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tmawer 27 Jun 2015
I was happy with Love Film (now Amazon) DVD postal service, as there seemed a wide choice of all kinds of films and series, however they were increasingly arriving unplayable and so I tried NetFlix; however I seemed unable to find much that interested me and so have tonight signed for a free month of Amazon Prime....but this seems poor too, and really just a platform to try to sell stuff. Can anyone recommend a service were I may be able to watch a wide range of non blockbuster, including old and foreign films and TV series?
5tormin' 27 Jun 2015
In reply to tmawer:

Showbox, Popcorn time,Mobdro. all android.
 Philip 27 Jun 2015
In reply to tmawer:

Quite interested in the replies to this. I used to have BT Vision and paid on demand for new movies - they'd have them on DVD release day for £4.

I now have Netflix, which is okay if you just need something in the background while ironing (just watched an old 8 of 10 cats), or want to see House of Cards (excellent) or Breaking Bad (okay). But I miss getting good films. Netflix has a lot of dross (direct to DVD, and 3rd/4th sequel type movies).

Amazon Prime doesn't seem much better (I've had a couple of trials).

I've been tempted to try Sky Store or NOW, but not got around to setting it up.
 Jon Stewart 27 Jun 2015
In reply to 5tormin':

If you think the big players like Netflix and Amazon are crates of commercial shite with slim pickings of good stuff, then you'll have to get stuff from torrents and the like. Good art and big commercial enterprises do not mix: so don't expect them to. Know any mates that like good films? They'll put it on a disc for you - or put in the hard graft scouring the internet illegally, or even finding legit sources (that's probably more difficult).

The way I see it, there's no money to be made out of brilliant old films that no one in general likes. So don't expect someone else to make it easy for you!
 Dauphin 28 Jun 2015
In reply to tmawer:

Curzon on demand.

D
OP tmawer 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

I think what you say is true, however with the DVD by post service there was access to a good range of old and art films, it's just that I think the DVD's are degrading over time with around 50% of those I have had recently being unplayable. My suspicion is that Amazon don't really want the old style DVD system to continue and want us all to move to streaming.
 Wsdconst 28 Jun 2015
In reply to tmawer:

I've got now tv,it's ok but not brilliant. I've tried amazon prime and thought it was crap.i miss going to blockbuster on a Saturday night tbh,my brothers always sending me links to free streaming sites but they're always full of ads unless you watch them on a computer which doesn't appeal to me.i used to have cartoon hd on my iPad,that was the best site ever but unfortunately was removed.
ultrabumbly 28 Jun 2015
In reply to tmawer:

The thing I would fault them both for is they don't carry enough in the way of classic films that they could probably offer quite cheaply though this seems to have started to get a little better on Netflix recently with a few offerings. If they carry a series you want to gorge on they can be well worth having. N'x also seem to have a developing commitment towards funding their own productions (Orange is the New Black isn't my first choice but is an ok watch and preferable to a chick flick/rom com if you want to accrue some quality slob out time with the other half when the weather is bad). They also have a few things before anywhere else recently e.g. Better Call Saul.

When I tried Amazon Prime one thing that threw me was how easy it was to mistakenly purchase a series (or a film) when it was also available to stream for free if you happened to search from "all of amazon" rather than the correct subsection that showed what was already covered by your subscription. That was over a year ago and may have improved.

The best thing I can say about having any form of streaming is that we only ever now switch the tv on as a "telly" in the morning to watch the news as we get ready and it has been that way for a couple of years. ANd so we make do with freeview. We used to pay for a sky package we often would only make use of twice a month. I'm quite glad to be rid of the frustration of trying to see if there was anything worth watching on before resorting to the on demand. A minor niggle is I quite often like to de-stress or fall asleep in front of a film I have watched before; I wish there was a way to pick something at random from your already watched list the way you could run your finger across the dvd shelf and pick a case at random.
 yorkshireman 28 Jun 2015
In reply to tmawer:

Netflix content varies around the world because of local licensing agreements. I'm in France where they've only had Netflix for around a year so I've always used Unlocator.com before that to pretend I was in a different country and avoid the IP location.

https://flixsearch.io/

On flixsearch you can search for content anywhere in the world (on Netflix), then change Unlocator to say you are from that country, and then watch it. It opens up a much wider range of content than if you're just watching the UK stuff.

If you end up using Unlocator, I'd appreciate if you use this link so I get a little freebie too

https://unlocator.com/account/aff/go/lEuCLMRewtIOXYzjZHuT

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...