UKC

Kanye West at Glastonbury

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yanis Nayu 27 Jun 2015
Anyone care to tell me how brilliant he is?
 Jon Stewart 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Are you implying, using irony, that the guy's a total massive utter bell end?
 The Pylon King 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

F*cking great.

Giving Glastonbury a good kick up the arse.

Florence and the machine? FFS!!!

In reply to Pylon King Against Capit@lism:

Seems to be a karaoke act
OP Yanis Nayu 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Jon Stewart:

You've sussed me. I'm watching it in the same masochistic way you poke a sore tooth with your tongue to make it hurt again. He seems to have a vocabulary of 2 words - "motherf*cker" and "nigger", with a few connecting mumbles. Wow, cool.
In reply to paul_in_cumbria:

Should have had Sleaford Mods headlining.
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

yeah mutha f*cking wicked
 Jon Stewart 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Meglomania: psychiatric condition, or artform?
Clauso 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Oh, is this him?... I assumed that it was the support act.
 rossowen 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

What's with all the autotune?
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Suede on just now on the other channel.

God, the songs are still good. But Brett's vocals not ageing well by the sounds of it...
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

That auto tune on is vocals is a bit much, does he always sound like a cross between pinky Cher and perky?

DancingOnRock 27 Jun 2015
In reply to John Simpson:

> That auto tune on is vocals is a bit much, does he always sound like a cross between pinky Cher and perky?

When they turned it off (either that or it broke), he sounded worse.
Lusk 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

His Mrs has got an awesome arse.
Clauso 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Lusk:

> His Mrs has got an awesome arse.

Indeed. His name's Kanye.
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> When they turned it off (either that or it broke), he sounded worse.

He's broke the stage now!
Lusk 27 Jun 2015

> He's broke the stage now!

No he hasn't, it's multi layered holographic projection to make you think he has.
Get a grip man!!!!
Clauso 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Lusk:

The greatest living rock star on the planet...
In reply to Lusk:

> No he hasn't, it's multi layered holographic projection to make you think he has.

> Get a grip man!!!!

They keep chemtrailing the stage as well!
 climber34neil 27 Jun 2015
In reply to Clauso:

He must have thought the crowd were watching someone else!
 ThunderCat 28 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

F**Cks sake, has no posted the Daily Mash article yet?
Lusk 28 Jun 2015

> They keep chemtrailing the stage as well!

The wind must be blowing in the wrong direction
In reply to ThunderCat:

I'd forgotten about that one, thanks for reminding me...!
OP Yanis Nayu 28 Jun 2015
In reply to no_more_scotch_eggs:

> Suede on just now on the other channel.

> God, the songs are still good. But Brett's vocals not ageing well by the sounds of it...

Summed it up well. He's got some energy though, you've got to give him that.
 Dave Garnett 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Clauso:

> The greatest living rock star on the planet...

Uncharacteristically modest of him to restrict it to this planet.
 neilh 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

In a contest with Lionel Richie, I know who won the crowd........KW was so bad it was embarrassing.
 The Pylon King 29 Jun 2015
In reply to neilh:

Lionel Richie??? FFS!
 JimboWizbo 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

The fitness instructor with a speech impediment?
 Phil79 29 Jun 2015

> Lionel Richie??? FFS!

I don't particularly like Lionel, but he put on a far better show than Kanye. He actually managed to engage with the audience and looked hugely entertaining.

Whereas Kanye pranced around cursing like a t**t wearing bad denim, sounded terrible with and without an autotune, and looked like a humourless prick when Lee Nelson ran on stage. Mass exodus of audience half way through as well. Massive Fail.
 FactorXXX 29 Jun 2015

Lionel Richie??? FFS!

Precisely!
How crap must Kanye West have been if the crowd preferred Lionel Richie to him...
 Dave Garnett 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Phil79:

> Whereas Kanye pranced around cursing like a t**t wearing bad denim, sounded terrible with and without an autotune, and looked like a humourless prick

Wait, maybe Chris Evans isn't the obvious choice for Top Gear...
 mountainbagger 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Yes, some of the world's best (read: memorable or popular now) music wasn't necessarily popular with the masses at the time it was created. Sometimes it wasn't even popular with the critics.

It's entirely likely when a summary of music of this period (1950 - 2015) is written in, say, 50 years time, that Suede (mentioned in another post) will receive more positive attention than Kanye West.

Kanye may well get a mention in the section on prevalent techniques in music of mass appeal - overuse of profanities, overuse of a repetitive motif, overuse of sampling techniques, slick marketing and the maintenance of constant media exposure through other non-music related activities.

I actually sat through quite a few of his songs. He had a dramatic entrance and light show and the first tune was something I liked, but then it all got a bit tedious. I imagine if I'd actually been there it would have been a better experience, but when watching TV you don't get the full impact of "the show" and inevitably end up placing more emphasis on the quality of the music.
 Morgan Woods 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Lusk:

> His Mrs has got an awesome arse.

Just the one?
 Dave Garnett 29 Jun 2015
In reply to mountainbagger:

> I actually sat through quite a few of his songs. He had a dramatic entrance and light show and the first tune was something I liked, but then it all got a bit tedious.

Not my kind of music, obviously, but I do like No Church in the Wild. It has a great guitar riff (Phil Manzanera, sampled), interesting chorus (Frank Ocean, not present) and most of the lyrics are rapped by Jay-Z (not present). All the other instrumental bits are sampled. How is this a Kanye West track exactly and it what sense was he performing it?

And as for the light show, did you see the Chemical Brothers set? It was pretty impressive even on the tv, must have been great live.

lummox 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Dave Garnett:

As many people have said before, Kanye is a great producer. He probably needs to stick to that..
 dek 29 Jun 2015

> Lionel Richie??? FFS!

"Hello...is it Mud you're looking for" ?
 mark s 29 Jun 2015

Agree Dave,church in the wild is a good song.

The bloke himself is a tw*t of the highest magnitude
 Dave Garnett 29 Jun 2015
In reply to mark s:

> Agree Dave,church in the wild is a good song.

> The bloke himself is a tw*t of the highest magnitude

Yes, he does seem to take himself terribly seriously.
Bogwalloper 29 Jun 2015

>
>

> Florence and the machine? FFS!!!

You know you can create your own Florence and The Machine album by just locking an owl in a wind chime shop.

Bog
Removed User 29 Jun 2015

> And as for the light show, did you see the Chemical Brothers set? It was pretty impressive even on the tv, must have been great live.

Were those laser shapes also live, or just projected on television? They were a bit much for me, and I wasn't even on drugs.
 neilh 29 Jun 2015

I know... he had the crowd eating out of his hands. It was truly a living legend.
 Skyfall 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I kept tuning into Glasto to try to find something I actually liked but failed, unlike previous years. Even Lemmy (Motorhead) appeared a ghost of his previous self and bored me rigid.

The closest it came to interesting was some band on one of the smaller stages sounding and looking like a bunch of US schoolgirls but I wondered if I'd get a knock at the door from the plod if I kept watching and turned over.

Shame really, Glasto used to be an interesting mix of stuff but when the three main acts are Florence, Kanye f*ckwit West and Lionel you know something's gone badly wrong. Oh yes, the Foos failed to show which might have redeemed things somewhat but, even so, I suspect this year wasn't a classic.
Bogwalloper 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Skyfall:

You missed The Who then?

Bog
 Skyfall 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Bogwalloper:

Ah, no, I did catch (some of) the Who late last night, had forgotten about them already (bad night's sleep). They were classic and alive and kicking, well two of them, and I quite enjoyed them. See, I'm proven wrong so easily
Post edited at 11:56
In reply to Skyfall:

> The closest it came to interesting was some band on one of the smaller stages sounding and looking like a bunch of US schoolgirls but I wondered if I'd get a knock at the door from the plod if I kept watching and turned over.

Yeah I watched all of that, Charlie XCX I think....not a patch on Haim though.

In reply to Bogwalloper:

> You missed The Who then?

> Bog

Absolutely dreadful, even worse than Paul Weller.

I was really hoping they were gonna do this one:

youtube.com/watch?v=whuwbyBtwqY&
marec1910 29 Jun 2015
I think it was quite nice. HE moved the crowd.

gd303uk 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

I liked the first few seconds of Mr west, the low lights and little optical distortion was a good effect for a few seconds, after that I was very bored.

I did enjoy seeing Songhoy Blues , an interesting trance like, Afro blues , funky punk type of sound .
youtube.com/watch?v=f2GC7BVcsTo&
 Mike Highbury 29 Jun 2015

> Absolutely dreadful, even worse than Paul Weller.

> I was really hoping they were gonna do this one:

I confess to only watching with half an eye but, apart from the obvious, natch, why did Daltry call Weller a wanker when introducing Pictures of Lilly?
andymac 29 Jun 2015
In reply to mountainbagger:

> Yes, some of the world's best (read: memorable or popular now) music wasn't necessarily popular with the masses at the time it was created. Sometimes it wasn't even popular with the critics.

> It's entirely likely when a summary of music of this period (1950 - 2015) is written in, say, 50 years time, that Suede (mentioned in another post) will receive more positive attention than Kanye West.

> Kanye may well get a mention in the section on prevalent techniques in music of mass appeal - overuse of profanities, overuse of a repetitive motif, overuse of sampling techniques, slick marketing and the maintenance of constant media exposure through other non-music related activities.

> I actually sat through quite a few of his songs. He had a dramatic entrance and light show and the first tune was something I liked, but then it all got a bit tedious. I imagine if I'd actually been there it would have been a better experience, but when watching TV you don't get the full impact of "the show" and inevitably end up placing more emphasis on the quality of the music.

I was watching Suede videos on YouTube earlier.

Classy.

Sure it was a young (and lovely) Keeley Hawes in the 'Saturday Night ' video.

Brett must be ancient now.though I bet his hair is still black.
 Tony the Blade 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

Kanye West? Never heard of her.
(Lemmy*)

*allegedly
 Tony the Blade 01 Jul 2015
In reply to Yanis Nayu:

> Anyone care to tell me how brilliant he is?

Here's what Freddie thought of it...

youtube.com/watch?v=nwN6dPNXklg&

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...