UKC

Short Tour of Northern Scotland - Ideas

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Axel Smeets 29 Jun 2015
Evening all.

I'm currently planning a short tour of northern Scotland at the end of July. Just me and my wife. I'm looking for ideas and places to stay/visit. The following to be noted:

- We'll have her car
- We're taking a tent but would also like a few nights in a hotel
- One night will be in Kylesku (our favourite place)
- Happy to go to Skye/other islands
- We like Whisky
- Budget not really an issue.
- 6 nights in total. Different place each night ideally.
- Distance between places not a massive issue. Both enjoy driving on the open road.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Cheers
 summo 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:

done a slightly longer tour but stopped overnight near/ at these places.

Aviemore
Applecross
Portree
Boat from Skye to Isle of harris - tarbet.
Kylestrome (back on mainland via Ullapool)
then round the North West to East coast to John o Groats area with a few stops overnight.

Awesome, so much space, rock and amazing beaches.
 ablackett 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Some ideas.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sandwood_Bay is really lovely, couple of miles walk to an amazing remote beach.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liathach has a cracking ridge walk/scramble in amazing mountain scenary.
Obviously if you can climb VS 5a, Old Man of Stoer

The drive/bike ride over Belach Na Ba from Applecross is brilliant.

If you like Whisky, you could change your plans a bit, go to Arran (lovely island, average whisky), ferry to Cambletown - horrid place but lovely Springbank whisky, then drive down Kintyre, ferry to Islay and spend the rest of your life drinking amazing peaty malts!
 veteye 29 Jun 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:

I too was going to suggest Sandwood bay, a brilliant open sky beach with few other people around usually.
Consider staying at the Crask Inn where the beer is good,the landlord is a farmer, and the food is reported to be excellent(and that from three French hunters).(We had to head back to our bunk house south of Ullapool.
I also like the Craig Darroch hotel(at least that is what I remember as the name of the hotel),near Strathpeffer, which is excellent for venison.
The old man of Stoer did not seem to be 5a from what I remember,but it certainly is one of the best climbs around.If only there was more Torridonian sandstone spread around.
Go and revisit the view of the Cuillins from Elgol.
The pub at Shieldaig,near Torridon for good fish meals.Plus it is a lovely place too.
OP Axel Smeets 30 Jun 2015
In reply to all:

Many thanks for the suggestions so far folks. Will be busy Googling them tonight and making plans.

Mike-W-99 30 Jun 2015
In reply to veteye:

A friend popped into the crask recently and its up for sale. I think they havent sold yet.
aultguish 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Any little single track road, that follows any part of the coast......then you'll start to find the hidden little gems that are off the tourist route
 dan bulman 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:

clachtol is a lovely spot. fantastic little beach. plus a walk up stac pollaidh. would be my top 2.
 goatee 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Watch the sun set at the wonderfully named Scourie. A magic little spot and not too far from Kylesku
 NottsRich 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:

A bit of climbing at Reiff?
Graeme G 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:

> Evening all.

> I'm currently planning a short tour of northern Scotland at the end of July. Just me and my wife. I'm looking for ideas and places to stay/visit. The following to be noted:

> - We'll have her car

Drive the coast road between Lochinver and Achiltibuie

> - We're taking a tent but would also like a few nights in a hotel

Crask Hotel - utterly unique. Camping on beach near Tongue.

> - Happy to go to Skye/other islands

Handa, boat from Scourie. Iona and Staffa from Mull. Day trip to Orkney from Inverness. If you go to Skye make sure you drive via Glenbrittle and visit the Brochs

> - We like Whisky

Most distillery's are disappointing - the only decent one is in Keith. If you decide to go drop into Gordon and MacPhails in Elgin, brilliant collection and their Exclusive range (single cask limited range) can only be bought in the shop.

> - Budget not really an issue.

Inverlochy Castle in Fort William is nice.

Enjoy

OP Axel Smeets 30 Jun 2015
In reply to Axel Smeets:

Some great ideas on here. Thanks very much. I'll be busy over the next few days planning a route.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...