UKC

Guidebooks / Topos you would like to see released...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Frankie boy 03 Jul 2015
Was thinking the other day, it's amazing how many guides I am currently wanting that aren't out. Heres a list of ones I'd like a new version of:

North East England
Lancashire Rock
Dow Duddon Slate
Yorkshire Limestone

Also would like much more up to date topo for Wharncliffe, even maybe a much updated Burbage, Millstone & Beyond.

Any guides you would like to see out?
 veteye 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

Well since the new eastern grit guide now includes Agden Rocher that is one improvement, although the BMC guide had it in. Agden Rocher is a much underrated venue.

Wharncliffe is covered by the BMC guide too. I haven't looked at how it is covered in the new eastern grit.The main difficulty is finding that lovely bit of rock down in the woods with the superb VS in the middle and the low end HVS on the right.

I've always thought that I would like to write a book of across the country HS/VS/HVS routes to aspire to.I suppose that I mean something between the Rockfax/BMC/FRCC/CC guides and Classic Rock with a narrower band of grades,but more comprehensive/longer list. This is probably because these are the grades that I get most out of.
 jon_gill1 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

What's wrong with the new Yorkshire limestone guides that have just come out this year?
 Rob 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

Dartmoor and south Devon
 Chris Craggs Global Crag Moderator 03 Jul 2015
In reply to veteye:

>
> Wharncliffe is covered by the BMC guide too. I haven't looked at how it is covered in the new eastern grit.The main difficulty is finding that lovely bit of rock down in the woods with the superb VS in the middle and the low end HVS on the right.

The Wharncliffe coverage in the new Eastern Grit is worth a look, plenty more routes included this time. Cascade Buttress, Bass Rock and the stuff near the Lodge are in, and with a decent map so you can find them!

Chris
 EddInaBox 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

The Climbers' Club guide to Swanage.

Unless we start asking now the next one won't be ready for another twenty years.
 Offwidth 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Chris Craggs:
There is loads more in the woods though than in Rockfax. Its arguably unusually selective for your latest Eastern Grit.

I was inspired to reclimb at Agden by the inclusion in the new EG of lower grade stuff I hadnt yet done. First route I led was Cock of the North full on sandbag at S 4a but good climbing at top end HS 4b until above the chimney you are faced with one of the shittiest looking finishes I've seen for routes in EG (and this for one of the few routes with no loose rock symbol)... looked so horrid for me and the prospect of knocking rocks down on Moff when seconding I went left on the face... great climbing and it unsurprisingly turns out to be the old line of the route.
Post edited at 11:46
 RyanOsborne 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

Gogarth South. Mid Wales.

Would quite like a guidebook that does mountain routes in Wales using supertopo style topos rather than photo topos too.
 Tom F Harding 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

CC Mendips
CC Avon
South Wales Winter Climbs

One day....
 Simon Caldwell 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

SMC Southern Highlands
In reply to Frankie boy:

Buildering around Britain - a selective guide...
 EliC 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

Lakes Bouldering. The rockfax one is poor, outdated and wrong numerous times.
LakesBloc is awesome, would just be a lot more handy in a book
 kylo-342 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

North Devon and Cornwall
In reply to Frankie boy:

Classic rock 2
Cold climbs 2
 KA 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

An up to date version of the Cicerone guide Rock Climbs in the Pyrenees.
 GrahamD 03 Jul 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

West Midlands rock
North York moors
South Devon
Channel Islands
 Harry Ellis 04 Jul 2015
In reply to KA:

Think you might have just thought of a nice job for yourself there Ken
In reply to Tom F Harding:

Doesn't Niall Grimes' Boulder Britain do that?
OP Frankie boy 05 Jul 2015
In reply to jon_gill1:

The main problem with the current Yorkshire limestone guide is that is a Rockfax and thus a general guide. There is so much stuff there that is not documented or to be found on the Leedswall database that it would be nice to see it all updated and put together at some point. For what is in the new Rockfax though, it seems pretty good, although I don't quite get why choss like Barrow Scout Cove is in there when Hutton Roof or Fareton just up the road isn't even mentioned.
In reply to Frankie boy:

Hi Frankie boy.

The 2015 Northerm Limestone Rockfax covers all limestone sport climbing from Lanc's / Yorkshire north (except a couple of spots). It also covers selected trad. This is why Barrow Scout Cove is in and Hutton Roof/Farleton is not.

Mark Glaister
In reply to Just Tintin:

He said buildering not bouldering
 whenry 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

Mid Wales
North Devon & Cornwall
South East Wales (I know most of it's on the SWMC wiki, but I like having a guidebook)
 Brendan H 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

Church towers of the North west
 thehugehead 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

Would love to see the Climbers Club Carneddau guide book published.
 kyaizawa 06 Jul 2015
In reply to Frankie boy:

Pretty sure I read somewhere that CC were working on the Devon guides (North, South and Dartmoor) with publish dates in the near(ish) future??

Definitely would most like to see N Wales Bouldering and Gogarth South finally hit the press. And another vote for North East England, or more specifically a NY Moors guide - I think currently the last/latest definitive for the area is from 1985!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...