UKC

Stitches while running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dr_botnik 07 Jul 2015
Just getting back into running, been doing the outside fell challenge, generally a novice as I've only run half marathon, and have quite a slow pace.
Keep finding myself crippled by a side stitch. Particularly on the downhill sections of the race, it's really annoying because I can overtake people on the uphill, then find them all running past me downhill as each step feels like a red hot poker in my stomach.
I've found its usually at 7km, and always downhill (i even find if there's a kickback up a hill I can run up this as fast, if not faster, than the downhill bit!)
Might be because I'm not really warmed up yet as it can clear up towards the end of the race (who wants to run 10k before they start though?!)
I've been avoiding eating too close to events, leaving atleast 2 hours gap. Also, I remember from years back that any sugary drink makes it worse so I just stick to small amounts of water.
Anybody else have any experience with stitches or advice I'm missing?
I think if I just keep putting more training in my body might just get over it, but in meantime I think I'll try a bit of yoga for core strength.
 DancingOnRock 07 Jul 2015
In reply to dr_botnik:
It depends on who you speak to.

It's either digestive problem (unlikely as you're eating two hours before).

Or a diaphragm spasm due to not enough oxygen getting to it. Might be the way you're leaning on the downhill. Assume you're not holding your breath or at least not breathing properly on scary downhill sections.
Post edited at 11:37
 galpinos 07 Jul 2015
In reply to dr_botnik:

I find I have a similar issue which I've decided (no scientific basis, as evidence based as homeopathy) that it's due to not breathing hard enough. I find as my breathing settles (after panting like a dog on the ups) the stitch arrives. Not found anything to sort it bar running harder sooner on the downhills, no coasting, and as I get fitter, it gets better.
OP dr_botnik 07 Jul 2015
In reply to DancingOnRock:

Yeah probably more a breathing thing as I have asthma/copd. It does seem to hit as soon as I crest hills. Might be that I'm tensing my body on the uphill, then just relaxing before a downhill gives the cramp a chance to set in. I do find I get quick thick spit as well which can make it harder to breathe as it seems to clog up my airways, and the constant impact on a downhill means I can't catch my breathe to cough without slowing my pace. It's reet annoying, but probably my own fault and a bit of regular training should iron out. Thanks for the suggestions though guys!
 drolex 07 Jul 2015
In reply to dr_botnik:

When I was running more seriously as a teenager, our team of experts (i.e. my mates and I) found out that leaning forward while running (trying to touch your feet) for 10 meters seemed to fix the stitches. We are still waiting to have our article published in the Lancet (or written, mind).
 thedatastream 07 Jul 2015
In reply to dr_botnik:

I find irregular breathing helps prevent stitch. So breathing in for 2 paces and out for 3 paces. Or 3 in 2 out. If I get to 2 in 2 out then I know a stitch won't be far away.
 planetmarshall 07 Jul 2015
In reply to dr_botnik:

Make sure you're sufficiently hydrated before the race.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...