UKC

Silbergeier 8b+ for Robbie Phillips

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 UKC News 08 Jul 2015
Robbie Phillips - Bellavista, 3 kbScottish climber Robbie Phillips has made the second British ascent of the 240m 6-pitch 8b+ Silbergeier in the Ratikon, Switzerland with climbing partner Willis Morris. Silbergeier is one of the most famous hard multipitch climbs in the Alps, and was first climbed by Beat Kammerlander back in the early 1990's.

Read more
 stp 09 Jul 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Fantastic effort.

However the description is misleading:

> Robbie freed the route on his first redpoint push to the top.

He didn't free the route since the route was already free. To free a route means to dispense with existing aid points: in other words make the first free ascent. Once a route is freed it can't be freed again though if it was still aided by some parties you might say 'free-climbed' to clarify the fact.

In this case it's clearer and more succinct to simply say: "Robbie redpointed the route on his first try".
 AlanLittle 09 Jul 2015
Top effort. First British ascent of one of the Trilogy?

In reply to stp:

Pedantic but true.

GDes 09 Jul 2015
In reply to stp:

since when? I've never heard that before. I would take "he freed it" as he free climbed it, and "he made the first free ascent" as having made the first free ascent. Phenomenally, and unnecessarily pedantic comment. Where's this official dictionary of climbing terminology that makes you so sure of this definition?

Well done Robbie, looks great!
 AlanLittle 09 Jul 2015
In reply to GDes:

I still agree with stp, although I wouldn't have bothered to point it out my self.

But, er, first Brit ascent* of one of the alpine hard rock Big Three? And almost nobody seems to care. Am I missing something?

* afaik. I may be wrong.
 AJM 09 Jul 2015
In reply to AlanLittle:
Second. Wiz Fineron did it last year, no?

http://www.ukclimbing.com/news/item.php?id=69005

But yes, very impressive, particular the quick turnaround from his former life as an out and out sport climber
Post edited at 21:20
 HeMa 10 Jul 2015
In reply to GDes:

> since when? I've never heard that before. I would take "he freed it" as he free climbed it, and "he made the first free ascent" as having made the first free ascent.

Since about when people started to focus on free climbing instead of just climbing. Didn't the headlines go "Lynn Hill Freed the Nose on El Cap"... And yes, she was the 1st. After a year or two, she was in the news agains "Lynn Hill free climbed the Nose in a day".

Notice the difference.

Dr Toph 18 Jul 2015
In reply to UKC News:

Noticed that Robbie and Willis also made the second of Dave Mac's Project Fear (8c+) .

http://www.robbiephillips.co.uk/blogs/entry/rock-climbing/project-fear.html

surely this is also newsworthy?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...